SATA III work on SATA Dell XPS 420?

Old March 1st 16, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ellen Hall[_2_]

Default SATA III work on SATA Dell XPS 420?

Hello,

Shopping for a hard drive. Are the SATA IIIs backward compatible straight
across? One was advertised with a bonus cable. Will my original work? (New
in 2006!)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old March 1st 16, 04:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa

....from what I've read, no problem! http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...rds-compatible
Old March 1st 16, 12:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan[_3_]

"Ellen Hall" wrotR:

Hello,

Shopping for a hard drive. Are the SATA IIIs backward compatible straight
across? One was advertised with a bonus cable. Will my original work? (New
in 2006!)

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have done that with similar vintage Dells, though not the XPS 420.
While you won't get the full benefits using a SATA I interface, the
improvement was still remarkable and well worth the cost now that SSDs
are affordable.

--
Alan
Old March 1st 16, 08:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
adule

On 2/29/2016 8:14 PM, Ellen Hall wrote:
Hello,

Shopping for a hard drive. Are the SATA IIIs backward compatible straight
across? One was advertised with a bonus cable. Will my original work? (New
in 2006!)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes, you can do this. I just installed a Seagate ST1000DM003 (1TB, Sata
III) in my XPS420 to replace my 2nd drive, a Western Digital 500GB,
that's been failing chkdsk for some time. No problems.

You'll probably have to use a right-angle cable (like the one on your
existing drive installation) to clear the side cover.

Frank
Old May 11th 17, 11:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

You can use SATA drives with these servers. The SAS interface is also SATA compatible. However, the reverse is not true.

The biggest concern with using SATA disks in such an old server/controller is that the SATA link speed will likely be 1.5Gbps instead of 3.0Gbps or 6.0Gbps.

Used SAS disks aren't expensive. I'd really recommend considering those instead.
For more information visit Dell Xps 420 Manual- https://guideusermanual.com/product-...1&lang=English