Laptop battery no longer gets charged

Old August 19th 11, 07:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Paul

Default Laptop battery no longer gets charged

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 18/08/2011 1:59 PM, BillW50 wrote:
In ,
BillW50 wrote:

Yup, I have seen those too. And those of us, who fly a lot with our
laptops... also discovered that most of the time the aircraft only
supplies so much power per outlet and that is it. And laptops are
pretty good about adjusting for a lower wattage supply. And what they
generally do is to disable battery charging but the rest of the
laptop works fine otherwise.

That is another thing to check once you know the problem isn't the
battery. Remember I offered to send you a battery to check your
computer with. Anyway your AC power supply could also not put out all
of the amperage that it used too. In that case, the laptop will
refuse to charge the battery, but work fine otherwise.

Oh yeah Yousuf, not only could I send you a battery to test, but I also
have AC power supplies too that I could send for you for testing. You
could email me by changing KOM to COM if you are interested.

Well, I ended up ordering a new battery online, and it came in today. I
put it in, and it's being successfully charged up. So my problem is
solved. Just wondering what caused the previous battery to fail in the
way that it did?

Yousuf Khan

I understand with the laptop battery technology, it isn't safe to
charge the battery, if the terminal voltage drops too low. The charger
won't touch it in that case. Now, why it's showing a little capacity
left, I don't know. Perhaps the undervoltage cutoff threshold value
has shifted ?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

"Over-discharging Lithium-ion

If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s
protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the
pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible."

"Copper shunts may have formed inside the cells that can lead to a partial
or total electrical short. If recharged, the cells might become unstable,
causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion packs that have
been under stress are more sensitive to mechanical abuse, such as
vibration, dropping and exposure to heat."

HTH,
Paul
Old August 19th 11, 10:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 19/08/2011 2:45 PM, Paul wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Sounds good enough to me, as a possible explanation.

Yousuf Khan
Old August 20th 11, 12:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David H. Lipman

From: "Yousuf Khan"

Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Good notebooks "regulate" the charge to the battery and I don't think the above is totally
the explanation.

I am glad thinks worked out for you. The lesson is for all intents and puprposes, what
you experienced is relatively normal as the batteries have a life. How they express their
EoL is not always the same.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old August 20th 11, 12:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Twayne

In ,
Yousuf Khan typed:
BillW50 wrote:

[...]

Roll of the dice; not unusual. Look up how batteres work. f'ups set to stop
bombardment of non-relevant groups.

HTH,

Twayne`

Old August 22nd 11, 11:27 PM
ebatts ebatts is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousuf Khan[_2_] View Post

BillW50 wrote:

[...]

Most likely your laptop battery failed. If it was an OEM battery, then it might have seen a low life over time. If it was aftermarket, you might have purchased a refurbished laptop battery, where they take used laptop battery cells that are still good and put them all back together and sell it as refurbished, but mark them as new. Those refurbished laptop batteries do not last long and tend to die after a year. If you also don't charge and discharge your laptop battery, then it will also see a shorter lifespan. There are some laptop battery tips at the bottom of this laptop battery page.

If you bought the laptop battery recently, some companies carry a 1-3 year warranty and will send out a new replacement.
Old November 18th 11, 01:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
RJK

From: "BillW50"

In ,
From: "Yousuf Khan"

I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older
software which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently
I noticed that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is
just over 1 year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see
the Power icon showing that I'm running on the AC mains, and that
the battery has 0% charge left on it, but the icon doesn't show any
charging going on. I could possibly get another battery, but I'm
afraid that maybe
there's nothing wrong with the battery, and the problem might lie
with the circuitry that charges the battery from the mains. Any way
to test this? The problem just occurred last week. Before that it
was charging fine.

Replace it. They don't last long. That's why a notebook might have
a 3 yr warranty but the battery only has a 1 yr warranty. The same
goes with powertools like Makita and DeWalt, etc.

It depends on how you treat them. I have had Li-Ion batteries last up to
10 years while Barry Watzman got 12 years out of his.

Maybe. But normal usage shows the average battery doesn't last long. As
a function of time any given rechargable battery is less capable of
holding a charge for its rated discharge period as well as its ability to
supply full power decreases.

Then you have to look at how the charge/discharge cycles affect different
technologies; Lead/acid, LiION, NiMH, NiCAD, etc.

I just had to replace the battery in my Makita some months ago. It would
charge up but when I used the Makita it wasn't long before I had to
recharge it again.

Think about your automobiles (or boats) and over their life span you had
to replace the battery.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I'm going to have to buy a new set of "Salt Crystal" batteries for my
electric scooter soon, only bought it in April this year !!!
....as I head out the back door I do a zig-zag ...car on left - £4 for 22
mile round trip, scooter on right - 12 pence electricity !! :-)

.....if raining, car wins every time !

regards, Richard

Old November 18th 11, 02:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David H. Lipman

From: "RJK"

From: "BillW50"

In ,
David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Yousuf Khan"

[...]

Good luck Richard! ;-)

Old November 19th 11, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)

[]
From: "Yousuf Khan"

I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older
software which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently
I noticed that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is
just over 1 year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see

[]
Why did you replace the original battery? Do you still have it?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

What would be unusual would be if there weren't any coincidences at all for
several days in a row. Andy Roberts (UMRAt), 23rd. October 1998.
Old November 19th 11, 12:14 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

[]
From: "Yousuf Khan"

I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older
software which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently
I noticed that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is
just over 1 year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see

[]
Why did you replace the original battery? Do you still have it?

Original battery was holding little more than than an one hour charge
anymore (after 5 years of use), usually less. It's long gone, sent to
the appropriate waste disposal depot.

Yousuf Khan