what type of screw is this?

Old July 28th 04, 12:30 PM
Andrew Crook

Default what type of screw is this?

what type of screw is this?

http://www.andicrook.demon.co.uk/type.jpg

its about 5mm in diameter.

where can I get a tool to undo it?

regards

AndiC
Old July 28th 04, 01:00 PM
PBS

"Andrew Crook" wrote in message
what type of screw is this?

http://www.andicrook.demon.co.uk/type.jpg

its about 5mm in diameter.

where can I get a tool to undo it?

regards

AndiC

not sure of the name, I call them star screws
they are used in Compaq systems and apple Mac's

I have been able to unscrew them with a good fitting flathead screwdriver
but there cant be any freeplay, the fit has to be tight

since then I have seen screwdriver "kits" that have
support for this type of screw.
The ones with one handle and many "heads"
flathead, Phillips, even hex and Allen key.

look in Woolworths or k-mart if u have one there
or any hardware store

HTH

Old July 28th 04, 02:07 PM
Andrew Crook

thanks got it with a v small flathead screwdriver.

but I would like to get the proper tool

AndiC

Old July 28th 04, 03:24 PM
ChrisJ9876

From: "Andrew Crook"
Date: 07/28/2004 7:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4749E.B4528C20

what type of screw is this?

http://www.andicrook.demon.co.uk/type.jpg

its about 5mm in diameter.

where can I get a tool to undo it?

regards

AndiC

It's called "Torx", and they come in various sizes.
Old July 28th 04, 05:16 PM
MisterSkippy

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:30:45 +0100, "Andrew Crook"
wrote:

what type of screw is this?

http://www.andicrook.demon.co.uk/type.jpg

its about 5mm in diameter.

where can I get a tool to undo it?

regards

AndiC

Looks like a Torx head screw. You should be able to get an inexpensive
set anywhere tools are sold. If push comes to shove, you can probably
get it loose with a small flat tipped screwdriver.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB
For email remove "_no_spam_"
Old July 29th 04, 06:20 AM
Grinder

wrote:

what type of screw is this?

http://www.andicrook.demon.co.uk/type.jpg

its about 5mm in diameter.

where can I get a tool to undo it?

regards

AndiC

Looks like a Torx head screw. You should be able to get an inexpensive
set anywhere tools are sold. If push comes to shove, you can probably
get it loose with a small flat tipped screwdriver.

An Allen wrench will do the trick as well -- at least it did for
(Torx-10?) screws on my Mac Plus.