Identifying files corrupted by bad sectors?

Old July 28th 06, 07:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

Default Identifying files corrupted by bad sectors?

I recently moved my OS installation from a Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
drive to a 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 drive. This was because the old drive
had developed bad sectors and had been in constant use for three years.

Neither Ghost v5.1d nor Drive Image 2002 would image the old disk, both
aborting when encountering bad sectors. Ghost aborted with an "internal
consistency error" even though the "ignore bad sector" option was turned
on.

In the end, I used dd_rescue on a Knoppix box to image the drive and am
now using the cloned drive (typing this using it.)

It would be very useful, however, to know which files have been damaged
by the bad sectors on the original drive. Is there anything that will
analyse the drive and tell me this, so I can restore them from tape?

Thanks.

--
(\__/)

Old July 28th 06, 07:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Mike Tomlinson wrote

I recently moved my OS installation from a Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
drive to a 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 drive. This was because the old drive
had developed bad sectors and had been in constant use for three years.

Neither Ghost v5.1d nor Drive Image 2002 would image the old disk,
both aborting when encountering bad sectors. Ghost aborted with an
"internal consistency error" even though the "ignore bad sector"
option was turned on.

In the end, I used dd_rescue on a Knoppix box to image the
drive and am now using the cloned drive (typing this using it.)

It would be very useful, however, to know which files have been
damaged by the bad sectors on the original drive. Is there anything
that will analyse the drive and tell me this, so I can restore them from tape?

There are a few utes around that will report bad
sectors by both the block number and the file.

Unfortunately I cant remember which ones do that.

You should be able to do a binary compare using a knoppix CD
and the ones affected by the bads should show up that way.

Old July 28th 06, 07:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rod Speed wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote

[...]

Doesnt the Seagate diagnostic report the file affected ?

Unfortunately I cant try that because I dont have a hard drive with bads.

One approach would be to try the bad scanners on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Old July 28th 06, 08:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Rod Speed wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote

I recently moved my OS installation from a Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
drive to a 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 drive. This was because the old
drive had developed bad sectors and had been in constant use for
three years.

Neither Ghost v5.1d nor Drive Image 2002 would image the old disk,
both aborting when encountering bad sectors. Ghost aborted with an
"internal consistency error" even though the "ignore bad sector"
option was turned on.

In the end, I used dd_rescue on a Knoppix box to image the
drive and am now using the cloned drive (typing this using it.)

Doesnt the dd_rescue log file list the ones its had a problem with ?

Old July 28th 06, 11:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Rod Speed
writes

Doesnt the dd_rescue log file list the ones its had a problem with ?

Only by sector number, not by filename, but thanks for the thought.
I'll have a go with your other suggestions. I took two copies of the
original disk, so can have a play with the second copy.

Old July 28th 06, 11:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I recently moved my OS installation from a Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
drive to a 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 drive. This was because the old drive
had developed bad sectors and had been in constant use for three years.

Neither Ghost v5.1d nor Drive Image 2002 would image the old disk, both
aborting when encountering bad sectors. Ghost aborted with an "internal
consistency error" even though the "ignore bad sector" option was turned
on.

In the end, I used dd_rescue on a Knoppix box to image the drive and am
now using the cloned drive (typing this using it.)

It would be very useful, however, to know which files have been damaged
by the bad sectors on the original drive. Is there anything that will
analyse the drive and tell me this, so I can restore them from tape?

Since you are already using Linux (I assume), this is simple:

Do a backup with tar to nowhe

tar cf - /dev/null whatever is to backup

It will run into a read error on each file with a defect
and report that. I am not sure whether you need to fix
each hit and then re-run or whether tar will continue
and report all errors that way.

Another option should be a recursive wc or md5sum:

find /cdrom -type f -exec md5sum \{\} \; /dev/null

Arno
Old July 28th 06, 11:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
writes

Doesnt the dd_rescue log file list the ones its had a problem with ?

Only by sector number, not by filename, but thanks for the thought.
I'll have a go with your other suggestions. I took two copies of the
original disk, so can have a play with the second copy.

You cannoty find the defects on the copy, only on the original...

Arno
Old July 28th 06, 04:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
I recently moved my OS installation from a Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
drive to a 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 drive. This was because the old drive
had developed bad sectors and had been in constant use for three years.

Neither Ghost v5.1d nor Drive Image 2002 would image the old disk, both
aborting when encountering bad sectors. Ghost aborted with an "internal
consistency error" even though the "ignore bad sector" option was turned
on.

In the end, I used dd_rescue on a Knoppix box to image the drive and am
now using the cloned drive (typing this using it.)

It would be very useful, however, to know which files have been damaged
by the bad sectors on the original drive.

Is there anything that will analyse the drive and tell me this, so I can
restore them from tape?

So, what's wrong with using the OS native utilities specifically for that purpose?

Thanks.

Corrupted large files (Adaptec 1200A) Alex Storage (alternative) 15 June 4th 05 06:20 AM
CHKDSK /F Corrupted Files? Eddie General Hardware 1 July 23rd 04 03:20 PM
CHKDSK /F Corrupted Files? Eddie General Hardware 0 July 21st 04 06:53 AM
fix corrupted files in a CD-R Matt Cdr 2 May 23rd 04 05:30 AM
Upgrade Difficulties Ron B Gateway Computers 0 February 14th 04 03:26 AM