Wireless router work OK?

Old June 23rd 03, 02:34 PM

Default Wireless router work OK?

Ive been thinking of selling my current LinkSys wired
router....and getting a wireless one. And then a
laptop to use around the house.

Im curious if anyone out there is using such a
setup....and how well it is working for you?
Old June 23rd 03, 03:22 PM
Robin Brumfield

In article , john63401
@yahoo.com says...
Ive been thinking of selling my current LinkSys wired
router....and getting a wireless one. And then a
laptop to use around the house.

Im curious if anyone out there is using such a
setup....and how well it is working for you?

I have a Dell C400 and an SMC router with the printer port so I can
print to an attached printer through the wireless connection. Works
fine other than the fact that Charter Pipeline service has to be reset
occasionally.

Robin
Old June 23rd 03, 06:38 PM

I would also opt to just add a wireless access to your existing setup. I am
a bit paranoid about the security of the wireless access points. If you
simply add a wireless access point to your existing setup, you can turn on
the wireless access point when you need it and then shut it off when you
don't (over weekends, or during the night when sleeping).

I realize it is possible to disable the wireless access portion of the
Linksys, but it seems like more of a pain to continually log into the web
interface and enable/disable the device. By having a seperate piece of
hardware, you simply plug it in or unplug it.

Hmm

Good point Patrick!

Thanks
Old June 23rd 03, 06:38 PM

I kept my wireless router (a Netgear RP114) and simply plugged in a
Dlink AP900+ access point.

Did u mean to say that you kept your WIRED router in
the above instead of wireless?
Old June 23rd 03, 09:40 PM
Tom Scales

WRT54G

No, it's not completely certified but close and Linksys has a press release
that this model WILL receive a firmware download to update it to the final
spec.

Tom
"Pat Conover" wrote in message

Tom, What model #? And is "G" now certified?

Regards, Pat Conover

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
All good points, but the Linksys Wireless router is just so convenient.

just upgraded to the new G version.

Tom

Old June 24th 03, 12:38 AM

I had an extra AP laying around after helping someone else and decided to
try it out on my existing network. I wanted to see if it might be suitable
to get me out of having to run a couple of CAT-5 runs I had been putting
off for ages. Everything worked out so nicely I was finally convinced that
"wireless" wasn't so bad after all.

Hahaha

OK.... I see now

Well... I currently have a desktop.... but have been
thinking abt buying a second home PC....and am thinking
of a laptop or table PC for that. Hence the wireless
questions...

Big thanks!!
Old June 24th 03, 12:52 AM
Markeau

I had been using a USRobotics USR8011 broadband wireless router and
print server for over a year then just recently upgraded to a Netgear
FM114P SPI firewall, wireless router and print server. You would have
less security concerns if you set them up to only allow the mac
addresses and ip's of the wireless clients, use 128 WEP, and add
software firewalls to each pc.

Old June 24th 03, 01:01 AM
Tom Scales

In fact, every place I looked locally, the AP was MORE expensive, as the
Router had mail in rebates.

Tom
wrote in message
WRT54G

Im looking at LinkSys as well

But..... it appears to me that the price of an AP
only..... and a whole new combo AP/router.... are so
close that one doesn't save any money just using the AP
with the old WIRED router. Is that true?

If yes....its just as cost effective to get the combo
unit. Yes?

Old June 24th 03, 01:23 AM
Christopher Muto

there is a better way to secure your wireless network without haivng to
trouble with turning the ap on and off... simply enable filtering so that
your router only 'talks' to the unique mac address of your wireless network
card, and enable encryption so that the wireless network traffic between
your laptop and router can not easily be intercepted. search the
linksys.com knowledgebase for easy to follow instructions on how to do this
and rest easy.

Old June 24th 03, 03:16 AM
Pat Conover

Thanks