Refilling the HP 90 series carts (eg HP96 & 97)

Old May 21st 05, 03:27 PM
CWatters

Default Refilling the HP 90 series carts (eg HP96 & 97)

Anyone know how to reset this series of carts?

Old May 22nd 05, 07:48 PM
CWatters

"Bill" wrote in message ...
CWatters wrote:

Anyone know how to reset this series of carts?

The HP cartridges do not have chips to stop refilling, but they do have
serial numbers to help prevent a user accidentally re-installing an
empty cartridge.

Hi Bill,

Yes I think thats true of the earlier HP carts but I'm lead to believe that
the new HP9x carts have more serious protection. I haven't tried rotating
them yet though.

Colin

Old May 23rd 05, 01:07 AM
Bob Headrick

"Bill" wrote in message ...
CWatters wrote:

Anyone know how to reset this series of carts?

The HP cartridges do not have chips to stop refilling, but they do have
serial numbers to help prevent a user accidentally re-installing an
empty cartridge.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but if you have 3 or 4 cartridges, you
can rotate them through the printer. The printer reads the serial number
on the cartridge, but it only stores 3 or 4 of them at a time. When you
get back to the first one, the printer thinks it's a new cartridge
again.

This is not true for the 96/97 cartridges. There is nothing to prevent
refilling, but there is not way to reset the ink level to full. Once the
cartridge is depleted the ink level will show as empty in the original printer
or "not available" if put in another printer.

Regards,