HP EVA3000 Zoning Question

Old November 6th 06, 08:04 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Jim McCullars

Default HP EVA3000 Zoning Question

Greetings:

We purchased an HP EVA 3000 about a year ago and currently have it connected
only to an HP ES40 running OpenVMS. We have just purchased an ES47 to replace
the ES40 and thought we could just move the fibre cables from the old server
to the new server, change the WWIDs in Command View EVA and be up and running.
It appears, however, that we have run into a Zoning issue. I do recall the
HP installer setting up zoning but we didn't get really up to speed on it
at the time.

Our hardware consists of two Brocade 32-port switches, two disk controllers,
and two disk enclosures (in addition to the DL-320 server). On the ES40, we
have a dual-port fibre-channel card and one connection to each switch. I can
log in to the switches and issue a cfgshow command and get the following
output:

Switch 1:

Defined configuration:
cfg: UAH_100305
z_MA; z_ES40
zone: z_ES40 a_ES40_S4; a_EVA_CA_FP2; a_EVA_CB_FP1
zone: z_MA a_EVA_CA_FP2; a_EVA_CB_FP1; a_MA_S1_P1
alias: a_ES40_S4
10:00:00:00:c9:4a:f1:8c
alias: a_EVA_CA_FP2
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7d
alias: a_EVA_CB_FP1
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:78
alias: a_MA_S1_P1
10:00:00:00:c9:4c:5c:af

Effective configuration:
cfg: UAH_100305
zone: z_ES40 10:00:00:00:c9:4a:f1:8c
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7d
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:78
zone: z_MA 50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7d
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:78
10:00:00:00:c9:4c:5c:af

Switch 2:

Defined configuration:
cfg: UAH_100305
z_MA; z_ES40
zone: z_ES40 a_ES40_S10; a_EVA_CA_FP1; a_EVA_CB_FP2
zone: z_MA a_MA_S1_P2; a_EVA_CB_FP2; a_EVA_CA_FP1
alias: a_ES40_S10
20:00:00:00:c9:3f:ba:b1
alias: a_EVA_CA_FP1
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:79
alias: a_EVA_CB_FP2
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7c
alias: a_MA_S1_P2
10:00:00:00:c9:4c:5c:ae

Effective configuration:
cfg: UAH_100305
zone: z_ES40 20:00:00:00:c9:3f:ba:b1
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:79
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7c
zone: z_MA 10:00:00:00:c9:4c:5c:ae
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:7c
50:00:1f:e1:50:05:88:79

I can sort of see what is going on here, aliases start with "a_" and zones
start with "z_". Each switch has a zone called z_ES40 which consists of
the WWID of one port on the ES40 and one port on each of the EVA disk
controllers. Should I just add the WWN of one of the new ES47 ports to the
zone on each switch? Note that at no time with the new and old servers be
powered on at the same time, and I do need to be able to go back to the old
(ES40) server if need be. Also, what is the z_MA zone? Is that the zone
that allows the switch to talk to Command View EVA? It appears from the
docs that you can make zone configuration changes on-the-fly but as long as
you don't save the config, a restart of the switch will bring back the last
saved configuration. Is that a good fail-safe? Any advice appreciated.
TIA...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Old November 6th 06, 09:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
jls

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 20:04:52 +0000 (UTC), Jim McCullars
wrote:

[...]

You will have to zone the ports by WWID of the ES47's HBAs.
Also, you will have to get into diag mode and wwidmgr to setup the
boot device's paths into the SRM console before you'll be able to boot
from any SAN-based LUN.

You'll also have to access the command view server for the EVA and
"present" all of those LUNs to the new ES47's WWIDs.