Processor upgrade in a Dimension 8400

Old October 29th 05, 01:50 PM
Alex Flaherty

Default Processor upgrade in a Dimension 8400

Hi,

I've currently got a Pentium 4 540 cpu........can I replace it with one
of the 6xx series P4's or will the 8400 mobo not take it?

Many thanks.

Old October 29th 05, 03:08 PM
S.Lewis

"Alex Flaherty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've currently got a Pentium 4 540 cpu........can I replace it with one
of the 6xx series P4's or will the 8400 mobo not take it?

Many thanks.

I don't think it will support the "D" dual series, if that's what you're
asking. I'd read here first in any event:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets...umentation.htm

Stew

Old October 29th 05, 03:20 PM
Alex Flaherty

no, the D series doesnt interest me at the moment but the 6xx series
has double the cache of the 5xx series.....I'm just not sure whether
the pin/packaging is the same

Old October 29th 05, 03:31 PM
S.Lewis

"Alex Flaherty" wrote in message
oups.com...
no, the D series doesnt interest me at the moment but the 6xx series
has double the cache of the 5xx series.....I'm just not sure whether
the pin/packaging is the same

They're all LGA775/Socket T chips. I'd still want to know if the 925X/XE
supports the 6XX series CPU though. There may be subtle differences beyond
the socket "fit". (voltage, so forth)....

Read up before you drop big bucks.

Stew

Old October 29th 05, 09:53 PM
hondaman

they fit and it's totally compatible because i'm on my 8400 and i installed
a 640 3.2 gig. P4. it works good and the motherboard does support 64bit
processing called EM64T by intel.

-jeff
.. .