Hardware/software certification question.

Old October 31st 06, 01:13 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Default Hardware/software certification question.

Dear guru's,

We want to build the following configuration:

- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3
or 4)
- HBA's qla2340
- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300

- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
Cluster Manager and Oracle.

The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
contradict or do not match for publication date.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.

Best regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra
Old November 1st 06, 07:09 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bronzefury

Hi,

Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?

bronze

. ..

Old November 1st 06, 09:00 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rob Turk

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
. ..
Dear guru's,

We want to build the following configuration:

- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
4)
- HBA's qla2340
- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300

- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
Cluster Manager and Oracle.

The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
contradict or do not match for publication date.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.

Best regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Most likely you'll have to work through some of the compatibility matrices.
Start with the SVC. I'm sure it's qualified to run with the IBM 8300 and
QLogic QLA2340 (check BIOS/firmware levels). Then find a RedHat version that
supports the QLA2340 and also the Oracle version your customer wants to run.

Rob

Old November 1st 06, 07:20 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jan Gerrit Kootstra

bronzefury wrote:
[...]

I did not make those choices, I just get a server and then got the
question can you make it work?

If you have a suggestion that is certified, I would be very pleased.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra
Old November 1st 06, 08:34 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk wrote:
[...]

Rob,

After 2 weeks of daily search, my collegue and I failed to solve the puzzle.

Hope someone here solved it already.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Old November 1st 06, 10:13 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rob Turk

Rob Turk wrote:
[...]

Hi Jan Gerrit,

Have you tried this link:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...d=ssg1S1002864

It shows all supported operating systems, HBA's and storage arrays for the
SVC. This confirms support for RHEL 4.0 AS U3 with QLA2340 and shows
required BIOS/driver levels. It also includes the DS8000 with version
details. All you need to do is find out if Oracle runs on RHEL 4.0 AS U3...

If you'd like to talk direct, call our office tomorrow... +31-35-695-7010
(Dutch and/or English ;-)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Rob

Old November 3rd 06, 07:06 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jan Gerrit Kootstra

bronzefury wrote:

Hi,

Just curious, why QLA2340? It uses a PCI-X interface. Why not start with
PCIe? Have you considered Emulex or LSI Logic HBA?

bronze

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
l...

Dear guru's,

We want to build the following configuration:

- System x3950 (2 times) running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (version 3 or
4)
- HBA's qla2340
- San Volume Conttroler (version 3.1)
- Storage cabinet: IBM Total Storage 8300

- On top of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS, we want to run Red Hat
Cluster Manager and Oracle.

The customer demands a certified environment, we are unable to find
whether this environment is certified or not. The IBM website only shows
parts of the environment and some certification matrices seem to
contradict or do not match for publication date.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the crossposting.

Best regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Gunhaver05,

Company policy, to make all storage boxes 'virtual'.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra
Old November 3rd 06, 07:21 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Rob Turk wrote:

"Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
. nl...

[...]

We have seen that link, but we like to use RHEL AS 4U4. Oracle is
certified on all RHEL AS 3 update levels upto 3U7 and RHEL AS/ES 4
update levels upto RHEL 4U4, based on a metalink search.

Thank you for your response.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

P.S. I probably cannot call you Friday 3-11-2006, I will be out to see a
doctor. Might call you Monday 6-11-2006.