The fire is out . . . the conclusion

Old March 28th 05, 03:43 PM
Williams

Default The fire is out . . . the conclusion

(See posts over the last 4 weeks starting with "The fire is out" if you want
the background.)

I got the 2nd new NFII Ultra Infinity motherboard from DFI, after the first
replacement had an intermittent POST. The new one is working great! DFI
was excellent to work with, and seemed to have a real interest in looking
into the fire on my mobo that started this whole thread. They paid for 2nd
day Fedex both ways.

A rep from the Consumer Product Safety Commission actually drove 4 hours
from her office to my home to investigate the issue. I had already sent the
defective and burned items back to DFI by then. Again, it was good to see
that my report to them didn't just get thrown in a file somewhere.

So overall a happy ending.

If you have read this far, I have a question: This particular board
supports 400 MHz FSB, and I'm using an Athlon XP 2500 (333 MHz FSB). I have
one gig of Corsair XMS PC3200 memory on the board. Would I see much
performance boost from going to an Athlon XP 3200 (400 MHz FSB)? Thanks for
any thoughts.

Craig
[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL and make the other obvious
change in the Reply To address]

Old March 28th 05, 07:48 PM
AndrewJ

If you have read this far, I have a question: This particular board
supports 400 MHz FSB, and I'm using an Athlon XP 2500 (333 MHz FSB). I have
one gig of Corsair XMS PC3200 memory on the board. Would I see much
performance boost from going to an Athlon XP 3200 (400 MHz FSB)? Thanks for
any thoughts.

I run all my 2500+ @ 3200+ (about 12). You will see a nice boost when
ripping video and audio, among other things.

AJ
Old March 29th 05, 03:20 PM
Williams

I presume you mean by overclocking. That is something I have never done.
Can you point me to a website that will give some help in doing this?

Old March 30th 05, 12:11 AM
AndrewJ

I presume you mean by overclocking. That is something I have never done.
Can you point me to a website that will give some help in doing this?

In a way it's not really over clocking since the 2400, 2800, 3200,
chips are all made in the same batch at once. AMD does a very fast,
picky test to decide what rating each chip gets.

All you to do is slowly raise the FSB to around 200. Start at 168,
then 172, 177, etc. If it fails to boot back it off a few points. The
FAQ at this forum is great and search for tips on your board. And if
you don't see what info you need then ask.
http://www3.dslreports.com/forum/overclocking

AJ

Old March 30th 05, 08:22 PM
Dreamstalker