8800GT length

Old January 8th 08, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
dizzy

Default 8800GT length

I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? Anything less is useless information!

Old January 8th 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Riffrafter

"dizzy" wrote in message

I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? Anything less is useless information!

I have the EVGA 8800GT and it's 9" long. It's just your standard
full-length card. As long your case can take a full-length card you'll be
fine. BTW - almost every mfg publishes the dimensions of their cards on
their websites.

-Riff

Old January 8th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

It will fit in any modern case ... such as the Antec SLK 1650B.
But don't put a hard drive in line with the pci-e slot. It is as long
as a standard ATX mobo that uses the backmost mounting
standoffs, but the 6 pin cable is even longer. It will not fit in
older cases where the drive bays extend over the back of the
mobo .. or over those rear standoffs. I'm just too lazy to open
my box and measure it.

johns
Old January 8th 08, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Access[_2_]

"dizzy" wrote in message

I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? Anything less is useless information!

I think it's as long as the 8800 GTS, but shorter than the 8800 GTX ? I
would like to know too, because a 8800 GTX wouldn't fit in my case

Old January 11th 08, 07:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Beladi Nasrallah

On Jan 8, 2:25*pm, dizzy wrote:
I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? *Anything less is useless information!

The reference design PCB is 229 mm, or 9" long.

The non-reference PCB from Gigabyte is shorter. From my measurements
of the card from the available pictures (e.g.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125081 ),
its length is 210 mm +-5 mm.

The ATI 3850/70 cards are long, too. They are of the same length as
the reference 8800GT cards. However, here is the very short non-
reference design 3850 card (something like 190 mm long),

http://en.expreview.com/?p=100 (Unika)
http://en.expreview.com/?p=63 (MAXSUN)
(Apollo)

Old January 11th 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Beladi Nasrallah

Default "short" ATI 3870 videocard

On Jan 11, 5:32*pm, Beladi Nasrallah wrote:
On Jan 8, 2:25*pm, dizzy wrote:

I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? *Anything less is useless information!

The reference design PCB for nVidia 8800GT is 229 mm, or 9" long.

The non-reference PCB from Gigabyte is shorter. From my measurements
of the card from the available pictures (e.g.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814125081),
its length is 210 mm +-5 mm.

The ATI 3850/70 cards are long, too. They are of the same length as
the reference 8800GT cards. However, here is the very short non-
reference design 3850 card (something like 190 mm long),

http://en.expreview.com/?p=100* *(Unika)
http://en.expreview.com/?p=63* * *(MAXSUN)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814140086 (Apollo)

Actually, all of these ATI cards are using the PCB developed by the
Taiwanese company Triplex. It also produces the "short" 3850 and 3870,
as was announced on 2 January 2008, http://www.triplex.com.tw/english/pr...ati/hd3870.htm

I wonder where I could get this card (short 3870, that is) ? Will it
be exported to North America/Australia/Western Europe ??? When ??

Old January 11th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
M. Ziegler

On Jan 8, 2:25 pm, dizzy wrote:

[...]

Im looking for a short 3850 with 512MB too. It should replace my old GF
7950, which is 20cm long. A longer card would not fit in my Arctic
Cooling T1 case. The 3850 from Powercolor is shorter, but its fan is
loud and doesnt power down.

Michael
Old January 11th 08, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
*^&%$$#*%!

"dizzy" wrote in message

I keep reading reviews that say "this card is really long, it might
not fit all cases."

Can't anyone measure the damned thing and report, in inches or cm, the
length? Anything less is useless information!

Galaxy mnakes one that is non reference with a Zalman like HSF and is
shorter than most of the others. I have that one and an Asus 8800GT and had
no problems fitting either into my PC's. The 7950GX2 I used to have was
quite a bit longer than 8800GT.

Old January 11th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
flightlessvacuum

On Jan 12, 3:11 am, "M. Ziegler" wrote:

Im looking for a short 3850 with 512MB too. It should replace my old GF
7950, which is 20cm long. A longer card would not fit in my Arctic
Cooling T1 case. The 3850 from Powercolor is shorter, but its fan is
loud and doesnt power down.

Should be a good replacement, even my 3850 256mb outperforms the 7950
gx2 .