UNDER clocking question

Old October 16th 03, 12:10 AM
jeffc

Default UNDER clocking question

"W7TI" wrote in message
Here's a question I'll bet you don't get every day.

I have an old DOS ham radio program I'd like to run, but it gives
runtime errors when run on a 500+ MHz computer. I could find an old
computer, but I'd rather have a nice new homebuilt one for it.

So the question is how do I underclock a motherboard?

If it is just the raw speed it is worrying about, rather than actually
checking the processor (which I doubt a DOS program is doing), you might be
better off looking for a "slowdown" program. This is not uncommon when
running older DOS programs - especially games that are ridiculously fast on
modern machines (their designers never planned for such fast processors.)

Old October 16th 03, 01:02 AM
philo

"W7TI" wrote in message
Here's a question I'll bet you don't get every day.

I have an old DOS ham radio program I'd like to run, but it gives
runtime errors when run on a 500+ MHz computer. I could find an old
computer, but I'd rather have a nice new homebuilt one for it.

So the question is how do I underclock a motherboard? I see there are
several quartz crystals on the one I have, a K7S5A. Could I replace
just one or would I need to replace more than one?

I wouldn't mind buying a different motherboard if it were easier or
simpler than the one I have.

All comments appreciated.

--
Bill, W7TI

there are generally jumpers on the motherboard that should allow you to set
the
speed...
clock and multiplier jumpers

on some motherboards, the setting can be done in the bios

i would not fool with changing crystals

Old October 16th 03, 01:49 AM
jeffc

"W7TI" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:10:35 -0400, "jeffc" wrote:

you might be
better off looking for a "slowdown" program.

I've heard other hams talk about using "moslo" for this application, but
I would prefer to just slow the system down naturally, so to speak.

I'll go that route if nothing else works out.

OK, but I'm skeptical if it's worth the time going that route. I don't
think you'll be able to slow any motherboard down to the extent you need
(relative to your needs, the range of settings is far too small usually),
and as far as changing crystals.... well, you're on your own :-)

Old October 16th 03, 04:50 PM
Biff

Quiet computing sometimes involves underclocking. Try doing a search of
the forums at:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Old October 17th 03, 01:14 AM
Thunder9

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:55:32 -0700, W7TI wrote:

Here's a question I'll bet you don't get every day.

I have an old DOS ham radio program I'd like to run, but it gives
runtime errors when run on a 500+ MHz computer. I could find an old
computer, but I'd rather have a nice new homebuilt one for it.

So the question is how do I underclock a motherboard? I see there are
several quartz crystals on the one I have, a K7S5A. Could I replace
just one or would I need to replace more than one?

I wouldn't mind buying a different motherboard if it were easier or
simpler than the one I have.

All comments appreciated.

Why would you prefer a nice new fast homebuilt computer to underclock
just so its slow enough to run an old game? You could pick up an old
bugger from parts for cheap on the fly that's one or two fancy dinners
skipped.

Regards,
Thunder9

Old October 17th 03, 01:22 AM
JAD

why would you need another machine....I doubt that he will be playn that game 24/7 and if the L2 thing works out, its just a reboot
away from being enabled

Old October 17th 03, 05:15 PM
JAD

I was commenting to Thund...

You'll be hard pressed now finding an ISA slotted board....I have a P3V4x I've held unto because it has 1 ISA. There are some out
there but the options of what CPUs may be limited.

"W7TI" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:14:23 GMT, (Thunder9) wrote:

Why would you prefer a nice new fast homebuilt computer to underclock
just so its slow enough to run an old game? You could pick up an old
bugger from parts for cheap on the fly that's one or two fancy dinners
skipped.

Regards,
Thunder9

'Cause I want a new computer to run my old program on. Same reason I
prefer a new car to an old one, even they both will get me there.

--
Bill, W7TI