power supply needed??

Old July 4th 05, 07:12 PM
8thSense

Default power supply needed??

lets say i am about to buy a new computer (i am still waiting to let the
price drop, still dreaming actually)

But a dual core amd4400 with a nvidia 6800(cheap one low cost version) and
only standaard other stuff one cheap hd and a slow cd.
What kinda power supply would i need??? i think a 480 Watt would be enough
already?? what is the minimum to pick?? i heard the geforce sucks away power

Old July 5th 05, 04:56 PM
8thSense

one card one core

Old July 5th 05, 09:54 PM
Phil Weldon

'8thSense' wrote, in part:
| But a dual core amd4400 with a nvidia 6800(cheap one low cost version) and
| only standaard other stuff one cheap hd and a slow cd.

_____

The CPU and graphics adapter, plus the voltage downconvertors/regulators (on
the motherboard) use more that 75% of the power consumed in a desktop
computer. 'Inexpensive' hard drives and removable media drives use less
than 10 watts each except when spinning up from rest. Audio adapters and
other cards also use little power. The motherboard uses little power other
than for the chipset and the voltage downconvertors/regulators. The
downconverters/regulators are about 70 or 80 percent efficient, so they
consume about 20 % as much power as the CPU, graphics adapter, and memory.

It would be a good idea to get a power supply that will handle future
needs - are you sure you want to stay with 'one cheap hd and a slow cd'?

A power supply rated at 480 Watts would be more than enought to meet your
current and future needs. Concentrate on regulation quality and reliablity
of the power supply you purchase.

Phil Weldon

Old July 6th 05, 05:29 PM
Flow

Should be enough to run your pc.
Look at this site for calculating the real power your system needs.
http://www.parkstadpc.nl/powersupply.php

I would guess the amd4400 will not need more then 89watt so use the fx cpu
as reference.

"8thSense" schreef in bericht