Most sensitive MP3 player for recording meetings?

Old July 9th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Gaz

Default Most sensitive MP3 player for recording meetings?

Conor wrote:
In article , Gaz says...
Dr Teeth wrote:
Info found
http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/counci...versations.htm

Absolutely classic, we have had Human Rights and DPA used as excuses, now
RIPA.

None of these apply to individuals, the advice is about 'bodies'.

Actually it does. You should reaqd some documentation about being Self
Employed which mentiones that you must ensure you comply with the DPA.

Yes, if you are self employed, as you may be using information for
commercial purposes, you ahve to make sure that you are complying.
The only purpose i use peoples data for is the recording of customer
invoices, in a spreadsheet. For that I do not need to register with the DPA.

Gaz

Old July 10th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Steve Walker

Conor wrote:
In article , Wedell
says...
This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

He wasn't looking for legal advice.

If you give him advice, you can in effect become an accessory.

Mmm, like headphones for example.... )

Old July 11th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Will

On 08 Jul 2006, wrote:

Schrodinger's cat wrote:

"Wedell" wrote in message

This would be done COVERTLY.

This would be illegal.

He wasn't looking for legal advice.

It's still illegal.

It's not always illegal. Depends on the circumstances and the
authority the person doing the recording has been granted.

Quite right. The meeting may be between me and a blackmailer, for
example.

Maybe Dr Teeth and Schrodinger mean that they doubts that such a
recording can be used as evidence in a legal case heard before a court
and is in that way "illegal".
Old July 11th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Will

On 2006-07-08, Dr Teeth wrote:
Info found

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/counci...rdingconversat
ions.htm

Thanks. Operative word "maybe" , but I get the point. The balance
of probability is that OP wanted to use the recording in an
unlawful way. (which is almost anyway that is worth the effort of
making the recording in the first place)??

My covert recording is not of an intercept so does RIPA 2000 apply?

Probably not.

Which human right is being breached? At worst it is "privacy" in
Article 8. "Everyone has the right to respect for his private and
family life, his home and his correspondence."

http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en...s/Html/005.htm

Does not say "an absolute right to privacy", so if I walk into a city
centre and the street cameras record me without me seeing them then
that is ok.

If Mr X comes into my house and starts to threaten me and I record
this then I would think that too is ok.

Enough IANAL.
Old July 11th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Will

On 09 Jul 2006, wrote:

No it is not, an individual is by no means can be defined by
'bodies'.

I am not here to give legal advice, if you think you are covered
and need to register go ahead. I have some magic beans to sell you
as well.

A lot of **** and bad advice exists out there, when challenged,
usually backed up by some vague reference to the HRA and DPA, to
add extra impact, it seems FOI and RIPA is now also invoked..

That last paragraph sums up the bollox we too often see and here
about these things. If I wanted lay advice then I would go to my
local pub late in the evening and listen to the drunks there giving
their opinion on this. I don't much want any legal advice. Thank
you.

You as an individual can record any conversation you wish, as long
as you are party to that conversation, you are under no obligation
to make the other party aware of it.

You as an individual can video tape any public place, except such
places where permits might be required.
You as an individual can set up CCTV to protect your own property,
and do with the recordings as you wish. However, if your CCTV
records the property of others you could be open to charges of
harrasment.

Old July 11th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc
Will

On 08 Jul 2006, Major wrote:

Ever heard of Google? Try typing ' covert recorders ' into the
search box. Over 2,000,000 pages. Starts at Maplins etc.

It's all a bag of ****e at maplins. Noawadays many regular items such
as some MP3 players can do this job very well.

"Covert recording" devices are from a marketplace which have been partly
overtaken by technology.

Anyway I don't want 2,000,000 sales pitches to read. I would like a
recommendation.