Europlugs (Schuko) requirements

Old July 5th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Default Europlugs (Schuko) requirements

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it..

... Within the UK, electrical devices should be shipped with suitable mains
leads, with plugs already fitted. I.e. no bare-wires on the end of a mains lead.

... However, there is no requirement that these plugs be moulded onto the lead; a
hand-fitted (by the supplier) BS1362 plug in the UK is sufficient, provided it
has been properly wired and appropriately fused (Which means, all you cheap
chinese PC case suppliers, that you actually screw the wires down into the
terminals in the plug, and do not put a 13A fuse in. Good thing I inspect your
work, methinks..)

My questions are...

1. Can anyone point me at the actual legal guidelines for the above?

2. Does the same apply throughout the european community (particularly spain)
where Schuko plugs are used?

I have a device going to Spain, which has an IEC320/C7 socket. I cannot seen to
find Schuko to C7 mains leads. Plenty of C13, and even C5 (cloverleaf) leads,
but not C7. I have schuko plugs, which I can fit to the cable on a UK BS1362 to
C7 lead, but would I be acting against the law by so doing?

(Insert suitable comments about government legislation making it an offence for
me to do any electrical wiring or plumbing in my own house, despite having been
doing the former since age four (because my dad never could wire a plug
properly), but admitting complete cackhandedness at the latter. ;-)

Jim
Old July 5th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Palindr☻me

Jim Howes wrote:
[...]

God, this is *Spain* for Heaven's Sake. Send them with bare wires and a
couple of matchsticks. That way, they won't look out of place in a
typical home/office.

Sorry, I can't point you at the guidelines/law for Spanish imports. Only
to be extremely surprised if anyone actually checks, or indeed follows them.

--
Sue

Old July 5th 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
peter

Jim Howes wrote:

I have a device going to Spain, which has an IEC320/C7 socket. I cannot seen to
find Schuko to C7 mains leads.

Is this what you need?
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr...VDK2099 A#top
( or http://tinyurl.com/pzsgz )

Old July 5th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

peter wrote:
Jim Howes wrote:
I have a device going to Spain, which has an IEC320/C7 socket. I cannot seen to
find Schuko to C7 mains leads.

Is this what you need?
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr...VDK2099 A#top
( or http://tinyurl.com/pzsgz )

Egad. Give the man a nobel prize!

Thankyou.
Old July 5th 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
peter

Jim Howes wrote:
peter wrote:
Jim Howes wrote:
I have a device going to Spain, which has an IEC320/C7 socket. I cannot seen to
find Schuko to C7 mains leads.

Is this what you need?
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpr...VDK2099 A#top
( or http://tinyurl.com/pzsgz )

Egad. Give the man a nobel prize!

Thankyou.

You're welcome. Since it seems to be supplied by Videk you'd probably
be best off going to http://www.videkonline.co.uk if you're going to
order some. Videk are a top quality vendor - but I wish they would stop
wasting paper sending out catalogues that go straight in the recycling.

Old July 5th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Gaz

Palindr?me wrote:
Jim Howes wrote:
[...]

;-)

God, this is *Spain* for Heaven's Sake. Send them with bare wires and a
couple of matchsticks. That way, they won't look out of place in a
typical home/office.

Sorry, I can't point you at the guidelines/law for Spanish imports. Only
to be extremely surprised if anyone actually checks, or indeed follows
them.

I sometimes wonder if the EU is a massive conspiracy, with the EU
commissioners sitting around having a good laugh thinking up stupid rules
and regulations, that are so absurd that only the British would bother to
both implement and enforce them.

Gaz

Old July 6th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jim Howes
writes

I have a device going to Spain, which has an IEC320/C7 socket. I cannot seen to
find Schuko to C7 mains leads.

You may have more luck if you ask for Schuko to figure-of-8 leads.

--
(\__/)