Canan s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

Old November 18th 04, 10:27 PM
Brian

Default Canan s750 head cleaning, burnt head?

Hello,

My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black,
but my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head,
and I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I
just tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.

None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it
was very hot, bit there was no smoke.

Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out
the head on the last cleaning?

Thanks.
Old November 19th 04, 02:46 AM
PC Medic

"Brian" wrote in message
Hello,

My Canon s750 has been giving me trouble. It stopped printing black, but
my black tank is about 1/2 full. I figured it was a clogged head, and
I've tried multiple deep cleaning cycles, soaking in alcohol, and I just
tried a cleaning kit from inkjetsaver.com.

None of those things helped, and while I was running the last cleaning I
began to smell burning from the printer. I pulled out the head and it was
very hot, bit there was no smoke.

Does anyone have any suggestions on reviving it? Did I just burn out the
head on the last cleaning?

Ink passing through the nozzles also helps maintain an acceptable head temp
while in operation. IF you were to do many cleanings in a row with a clogged
head, I suppose it could get hot and smell, but I wonder if something was
not damaged in the alcohol bath.
In either case, I dare say it is history.

Considering the cost of diagnostics and a new head if that is the problem,
my recommendation (if in the U.S. anyway) is call Canon and take advantage
of the Loyalty Program. I picked up my iP4000 for just over $130 shipped
next day to my door. A new printer, better resolution and a new warranty.
That is if you want to stick with Canon any way.

Old November 19th 04, 06:11 AM
Brian

PC Medic wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

CanAn, man, how did I miss that spelling error...

I originally went with the Canon because of the separate head and ink
tanks, but now I've found out that actually getting a new head isn't
really worth it.

I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
cartridge is the way to go. I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
get a little more life out of those carts?

Any advice on a multifunction device? Faxing from home would be nice.
Old November 20th 04, 09:25 AM
mpx

"Brian" wrote in message

I'm now thinking that the HP model of replacing the heads with the
cartridge is the way to go.

Actually for a company it's the wrong way to go. Having separate tanks and
head is the only way to differentiate products without creating logistical
nightmare of having to sell hundreds of cartridges. There are two parameters
you want to differentiate, and both of them have to be done by having
different head:
- speed (head with more nozzles)
- quality (head with smaller droplets, or with more colors)

HP home printers are very limited in parameter range, and this is because of
using the same set of cartridges. They don't differ in printing speed too
much (are slower than canons especially in color), and are obsolete - they
still use 4 pl droplets. I guess when you sell so many pritheads they have
to be cheap :-(

Even HP knows it's better to have separate head and tanks and separate tanks
for each color. But it keeps this superior design for more expansive
printers.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...51-411179.html
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...f51-33103.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmi...dfs/411179.pdf

"Choose HP's most cost-effective color printer for
general office use. Save money initially and over time,
with a low purchase price and four individual
high-capacity replacement ink cartridges that reduce
intervention and deliver consistent, outstanding print
quality and lowest cost-per-page. Each of the four ink
cartridges holds a single color, so when a cartridge
runs out, replace only that color, eliminating waste.
Four separate, long-lasting printheads are another
important element of the economical design-you don't
throw away a functional printhead when replacing an
empty cartridge."

I guess you can always buy a refill kit and
get a little more life out of those carts?

But it's not as easy as in case of Canon, where you just pop 3-rd party
cartridge instead of original, for 1/5 the price. In Hp you either toy with
syringes, smear your hands with ink, deal with ink flowing out of the
cartrigde, and have a problem with resetting printer settings - as hp
printers have protections against refillers built in. Or you buy refilled
cartridge, which is unfortunately expansive - costs 1/2 of original
cartridge price.

I wouldn't count on on HP reliability too much. I used them in the past and
had a lot of problems with paper tray - in all models. Like taking multiple
sheets at once. Over time paper trays started working worse, at the end it
only accepted 1 sheet of paper at once. I guess it's kind of an planned
obsolescence on HP's part, as even Lexmark printers have very good and
reliable paper handling mechanism.

Old November 20th 04, 09:25 PM
Brian

Thanks for your great insight into this.

OK, so this leaves me in this position:
I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.
All of the logic behind the separate print head makes sense, and it's
the reason I went with Canon in the first place. However, given the
extreme cost for fixing it, I'm not sure it's worth it.

So this brings up the question: Did my print head fail abnormally? I
had been using cheap replacement ink carts, and only print a few pages a
month. If I had bought better quality ink, would the head not have failed?

I'm stuck here now trying to figure out if I should buy a new printer
(I'm intrigued by the multifunction devices), or keep spending money
trying to fix the one I have.

Old November 20th 04, 11:28 PM
PC Medic

"Brian" wrote in message
PC Medic wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Well, generally you would not need to replace the head. I have several
Canon's (one almost 6 years old) and have never had a printhead fail. Yes it
can happen just like with any other brand, but with my Canon I know if it
does (on the 3 newer units I have) that the printhead is also covered under
the warranty. Even with the cost of the Extended warranty from Canon which
covered the head for the additional 2 years and using Canon OEM inks, I
still save plenty having individual tanks compared to my previous printers
with the all-in-one tanks.

Old November 20th 04, 11:39 PM
PC Medic

"Brian" wrote in message
Thanks for your great insight into this.

OK, so this leaves me in this position:
I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.
All of the logic behind the separate print head makes sense, and it's the
reason I went with Canon in the first place. However, given the extreme
cost for fixing it, I'm not sure it's worth it.

So this brings up the question: Did my print head fail abnormally? I had
been using cheap replacement ink carts, and only print a few pages a
month. If I had bought better quality ink, would the head not have
failed?

I'm stuck here now trying to figure out if I should buy a new printer (I'm
intrigued by the multifunction devices), or keep spending money trying to
fix the one I have.

Well you can get a new S750 printhead direct from Canon Sales or a local
Canon ASF, or even here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
for about $60. Now while it is VERY likely the problem you experience is due
to a failed printhead, you have to keep in mind it may be something else.
With the cost of a new Canon iP3000 being just $39 more than the printhead
and considering it will provide not only a new head, but also printer with
added features (higher resolution, auto-duplexer, dual paper paths, etc) and
a fresh warranty, IMHO I would probably opt for the new printer. That is of
course unless you know someone that has a printer that uses the same head
and confirm your S750 is a bad PH and want to save $39.

Old November 20th 04, 11:41 PM
PC Medic

"Bill" wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:

I have a canon s750 with a burnt out print head. I haven't been able to
find a new print head for sale anywhere, but I hear they are expensive.

You won't find them for sale...you have to order from Canon.

Not true, PartsNow and others also carry them.

Old November 21st 04, 02:23 AM
mpx

I suppose you simply can't expect reliablility from an inkjet printer
nowadays. They are not build to last. Some time before, when inkjets were
more expansive quality seemed to be higher, now it's all shoddy. From my
experience quality starts with office-class laser printers that have 500
sheet paper tray and 30+ pages per minute speeds. This kind of hardware is
build solidly and works without problems even on high load.

I wouldn't count on HP to provide reliable inkjet. All HP inkjets I dealt
with had some problems with paper handling mechanism - jamming, pulling
multiple sheets or no sheet at all, pulling paper at an angle instead of
straight etc. All these problems had been hardly visible at first, then they
started getting worse with time. On the other hand they were all printing
very well looking text, and their heads rarely clogged even when left for a
few weeks of non-use. I wouldn't recommend HP for graphics printing mainly
because of too high cost of color ikjet cartridges.

Old November 21st 04, 10:46 PM
Doug Cutler

I have both HP and Cannon. HP45a black cartridges for my 970 are about $26
each, refill spec say 40 ml ink.
Cannon BCI-6 Black are $11 each for 13 ml ink.
Work it out yourself!!
Doug

"Bill" wrote in message ...
mpx wrote:

I suppose you simply can't expect reliablility from an inkjet printer
nowadays. They are not build to last. Some time before, when inkjets were
more expansive quality seemed to be higher, now it's all shoddy. From my
experience quality starts with office-class laser printers that have 500
sheet paper tray and 30+ pages per minute speeds. This kind of hardware

is
build solidly and works without problems even on high load.

While I tend to agree somewhat, I don't think you have to spend a lot of
money to get a decent printer. I've owned several printers, both inkjet
and laser, over the years, and I've found that durability is not always
linked directly to purchase cost, but there does seem to be a negative
curve of diminishing returns.

I recently had to replace a dead Canon i850 with another printer. I went
back to HP since I've had better reliability from their hardware. When
shopping, I compared several models and found I preferred the design and
build quality of models starting around the $200 price point. Some
models below that felt flimsy and cheap, while some more expensive
models also felt flimsy.

Just a few of the things I look for in a durable model that I expect to
last are expandability, solid case and chassis, weight, and logical
design.

I wouldn't count on HP to provide reliable inkjet. All HP inkjets I dealt
with had some problems with paper handling mechanism - jamming, pulling
multiple sheets or no sheet at all, pulling paper at an angle instead of
straight etc.

I've never had paper handling issues with HP, nor any brand really. I've
dealt with models that have had 50,000+ sheets put through them, and no
signs of paper handling issues. However, I've also maintained the
printers by ensuring the rollers don't get excessively dirty. Cleaning
the pick-up rollers a few times a year with a damp cloth does wonders.

On the other hand they were all printing
very well looking text, and their heads rarely clogged even when left for

few weeks of non-use.

That has been my experience as well. Their inkjet printers have
traditionally been able to endure long periods of in activity without
clogging. I had an old HP Deskjet 520 printer sit in a closet for an
entire year unused, and when connected to my parents computer, it
printed just fine.

I wouldn't recommend HP for graphics printing mainly
because of too high cost of color ikjet cartridges.

After using a Canon i850 printer for 16 months, I don't agree with that
statement anymore.

I have first-hand experience that shows ink usage is similar to HP and
costs are also similar, under typical use. For instance, the Canon ink
tanks cost less per colour, but about the same when you buy all three.
In another recent post I mentioned this:

While the Canon individual ink tanks are cheaper PER COLOUR, they're not
cheaper when bought in sets of three, which is required if you intend to
print in colour or make photos.

For example, here in Canada a large colour cartridge (#97) for my HP
6540 from Staples is $49.96. Yet an equal set of three Canon ink tanks
is $53.88 (3x$17.96) for about the same page yields.

So when you go to the store and buy a Canon ink tank, you THINK you're
saving money because it only costs you about $20 that one time. But the
next day when the other colours run out and you buy two more of the ink
tanks, you've spent the same amount of money on ink.

Canon is using the ILLUSION of lower individual prices to make is seem
like you're saving money, when in fact you're not. It's all marketing
hype.