Bl**dy thermaltake kit

Old July 5th 03, 01:50 PM
FrankB

Default Bl**dy thermaltake kit

Well if they cant be arsed buy this one instead its probably better anyhow,
i have
the actual full unit and its very quiet and lowered my temps.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ster_fans.html

http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/produ...1&product_id=9

Frank

"Toby Groves" wrote in message
Does anyone in this country sell this:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...ductingMod.htm

!?!?!?

Can't find any retailer that has it, and Thermaltake refuse to answer my
enquiries. Utterly useless state of affairs, do they actually want to
sell anything at all?
--
Toby

Old July 5th 03, 02:12 PM
Toby Groves

In article , FrankB
writes
Well if they cant be arsed buy this one instead its probably better anyhow,
i have
the actual full unit and its very quiet and lowered my temps.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ster_fans.html

http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/produ...ique&category_
id=1&product_id=9

Thanks, but I need one that sucks, and that one blows, IYSWIM
--
Toby
Old July 6th 03, 12:34 AM
dorothy.bradbury

Ducting air from a fan directly to a heatsink is an improvement, but
hardly anything particularly earth shattering. It will drop the backwash
from an impingement cooling solution, but still leaves one WITH an
impingement cooling solution re static resistance & noise.

For the cost of fan + heatsink + duct (+ duct tape :-)
why not choose a blow-thro cooler vs impingement cooler?

o Impingement HSF = Air must turn through 90-degrees
o Blow-thro HSF = Air simply blows thro the heatsink vanes

An example of the latter is the "Flower" cooler & many variants,
like the QuietPC folded-fin coolers or Xeon windtunnel coolers.

Remember most CPU cooler solutions recirculate hot-air, so it can be
beneficial to have a case-fan set to remove this air. This reduces the
recirculation (eg, 70% to 30%) so allowing a corresponding reduction
in CPU-cooler fan rpm, and so CPU cooler noise.

Ducting is best done over passive heatsinks, with air being pulled
over them and extracted by a case mounted fan. Such as Dell use on
their dual-CPU motherboards - replacing case + CPU + CPU (3) fans
with one larger, lower-rpm, quieter fan and a piece of plastic duct.

You can create your own duct by using Foamex or foamed PVC, and
other thermoplastic sheets which are easily flexed to create a duct.

Generally, blow-through coolers tackle the cause of noise in an
impingement cooler, better than tacking on a duct to merely increase
the distance of a fan from an impingement cooler yet contain airflow.
Of course, the latter is selling you 3 parts, versus 2 parts.

Aim of IT industry is to never go A-B, but A-B-C-D-E.
That's even before one tries to get customer service...
--
Dorothy Bradbury
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...ry/panaflo.htm (Free 1st-Class

Old July 6th 03, 02:06 AM
Toby Groves

In article ,
dorothy.bradbury writes
Remember most CPU cooler solutions recirculate hot-air, so it can be
beneficial to have a case-fan set to remove this air. This reduces the
recirculation (eg, 70% to 30%) so allowing a corresponding reduction
in CPU-cooler fan rpm, and so CPU cooler noise.

This is exactly what I want to do. I have a sink which is drawing air
up through it and out of the top of the fan. I want to use these
Thermaltake parts to turn the airflow through 90deg so that it is
directed at the case fans at the rear, thus going straight out of the
case.
--
Toby