NVIDIA / Linux / OpenGL Issue

Old December 25th 03, 06:07 AM
Jimmy Brokaw

Default NVIDIA / Linux / OpenGL Issue

[X-posted to alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.comp.periphs.videocards. nvidia]

I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on my system, and just about everything
worked fine -- except OpenGL applications crawled. And when I say crawl,
I don't mean painfully slow. I mean "get up and get a cup of coffee and
maybe the next frame will display" slow.

Anyhoot, I installed the latest nvidia drivers, and it fixed it. (Well,
not immediately, but after mugging around the FAQs and READMEs I got it
fixed) But the nvidia driver doesn't seem to support 1920x1440 like the
nv driver did!

Am I really being forced to choose between OpenGL and 1920x1440 mode?
With my current setup, 1920x1440 drops me into 1600x1200 resolution on a
virtual 1920x1440 desktop.

Stats:
Intel P4 1.6GHz
Mandrake 9.2
NVidia GeForce2 200 driver 1.0-5328

Ideas?

--
\\\\\ ---- ----
\\\\\\\__o Bringing hedgehogs to the common folk since 1994.

Visit
http://www.hedgie.com for information on my latest book,
"Waiting for War," published by Aventine Press!

Old December 25th 03, 09:47 AM
Walter Mautner

Jimmy Brokaw wrote:

[X-posted to alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.comp.periphs.videocards. nvidia]

I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on my system, and just about everything
worked fine -- except OpenGL applications crawled. And when I say crawl,
I don't mean painfully slow. I mean "get up and get a cup of coffee and
maybe the next frame will display" slow.

Interesting ... I had to revert to the 4496 driver, the latest and greatest
shows the same symptoms on my GF2/MX440. What did you do to make it fly?

Anyhoot, I installed the latest nvidia drivers, and it fixed it. (Well,
not immediately, but after mugging around the FAQs and READMEs I got it
fixed) But the nvidia driver doesn't seem to support 1920x1440 like the
nv driver did!

Stats:
Intel P4 1.6GHz
Mandrake 9.2
NVidia GeForce2 200 driver 1.0-5328

Try to run XFdrake and reduce the color depth one step.

to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
(3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]
Old December 25th 03, 01:08 PM
darklight

Jimmy Brokaw wrote:

[...]

scroll down to a artical posted on 22/12/2003 named SUSE 9.0
that might help you set your resolution
Old December 25th 03, 07:08 PM
Simon

Jimmy Brokaw wrote:

[...]

I have to turn off my monitor while the Xserver starts to get 1400x1050.
I think it is something to do with EDID, when the sever asks the monitor
what it is capable of, but my monitor does more than it knows!

Log out, turn off the monitor, press CTRL-ALT-backspace to restart the
Xserver, turn on the monitor, check your desktop size.

I hope this works.

Simon.
Old December 26th 03, 04:55 AM
Jimmy Brokaw

Jimmy Brokaw graced UseNet with the following drivel:

Am I really being forced to choose between OpenGL and 1920x1440 mode?
With my current setup, 1920x1440 drops me into 1600x1200 resolution on a
virtual 1920x1440 desktop.

I solved my problem... For those who encounter it again (or simply didn't
know they could go past 1600x1200 but are now interested), I edited the
Screen section of XF86Config, Specifically, Mandrake had put a ton of
different "Display" subsections. I removed them all, and replaced them
with just one:

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1440" "1600x1200" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubsection

I then restarted and used FXDrake to raise the resolution to 1920x1440.
Viola, when KDE came back up, it didn't revert to 1600x1400. Here's the
odd bit tho' -- when I checked my XF86Config file to cut & paste my
changes into this post, I found my section had been changed to the
following:

Subsection "Display"
Depth 8
Virtual 1920 1440

[...]