When will I *need* a Directx 9 card?

Old November 24th 03, 01:57 PM
xyzzy

Seahorse wrote:
managed to scrawl the following bloodstained message

1. Don't cross post.

Why shouldn't one cross post?

Because it's rude. See below...

http://www.netlingo.com/right.cfm?term=cross%20post

Problem is, those who know very little tend to make anectodal
generalizations.

It's like a tourist visiting a country and being told, at a certain
occasion, that crossing his legs when sitting is rude. He comes home
and tells everybody he knows his newfound wisdom: "When you go there,
never cross your legs. It's very rude. They'll chop them off!" It
becomes a myth (*).

There are certain circumstances where it may be considered rude and
others where it's not and anything in between. Also, no country is a
homogenous blob. There are certain to be people or regions that don't
care. Our tourist is simply trying to replace good judgement with bad
generalization. Never (!) do that.

(*) Only, in our case, it's worse because there's a positive feedback
cycle: Usenet newbies who have come to erroneously believe that all
cross posting is rude will themselves start shouting bloody murder
when they see a cross-post. Thus, the myth ends up being reality.

Old November 24th 03, 02:12 PM
Mark Morrison

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:51:33 -0000, "Jago Illustration"
wrote:

"Darthy" wrote in message
.. .
On 23 Nov 2003 12:27:35 -0800, (John) wrote:

I just replaced my Ti4200 with the ATI 9800PRO, for my current games -
there isn't much difference in performance.

Halo looks a little bit better with the DX9 ATI card, the SUN effects
in the trees is kinda cool - but adds little to the game itself. I
had finished HALO with my Ti4200 with good frame rates in 1024x768.

Any idea what kind of visual improvement I'll see going from a Geforce 2MX
to a 5900 Ultra, in terms of what Halo will look like? It was quite playable
for the most part on the MX but not exactly pretty.

The jump from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 3 or higher is quite a big one
- significantly faster, more memory, T & L in hardware.

I bought a GeForce 3 Ti not long after they came out (I had a GeForce
256 at the time, IIRC) and it was a huge step up.

My next card will be at least a GeForce 5 (or whatever brand name they
gave it) but that won't be for a good long while. The DE2 demo ran
fine, and looked lovely. Along with Thief 3, this is the most
graphically intensive game I'm looking forward to.

Hopefully, my next upgrade will be a year or so away.

(Well, I have just got a 160 GB hard drive and a 4x DVD Writer...)

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old November 24th 03, 02:14 PM
Andrew

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:12:49 +0000, Mark Morrison
wrote:

The jump from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 3 or higher is quite a big one
- significantly faster, more memory, T & L in hardware.

All GeForce cards have T&L in hardware.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 24th 03, 03:34 PM
Geronimo_work

Max Longman wrote:
"John" wrote in message
om...
Anybody know when you'll absolutely need a Directx 9 card to have any
fun with games? It seems that games like Halo and Max Payne 2 use
Directx 9 features sparingly, and therefore, it's no big deal if I
play them on my Directx 8.1 card (which is a GeForce 4 Ti 4200).

Are we talking 3-4 months maybe?

I'm just trying to get a handle on when to spend the bucks for an
upgrade.

That's easy, when your games are too slow to play.

what about 9500 (saphire) moded to 9700. i'm planning to buy this card this
week. is it going to be fast enough for some time, or HL2 and DoomIII will
require a faster one. is it a good card for 165$. thanks.

Old November 24th 03, 04:39 PM
Mr. Grinch

You buy the hardware to fit the software you want to run. In otherwords,
you wait until you come across the game that you "must have" that needs a
faster system, be it video card, cpu or both, then decide at that time what
you need to buy. No one can tell you what game you want or must have, so
they can't tell you you'll need a new vid card in XYZ months...

(John) wrote in
om:

Anybody know when you'll absolutely need a Directx 9 card to have any
fun with games? It seems that games like Halo and Max Payne 2 use
Directx 9 features sparingly, and therefore, it's no big deal if I
play them on my Directx 8.1 card (which is a GeForce 4 Ti 4200).

Are we talking 3-4 months maybe?

I'm just trying to get a handle on when to spend the bucks for an
upgrade.

thanks.

Old November 24th 03, 04:46 PM
Mark Morrison

wrote:

The jump from a GeForce 2 to a GeForce 3 or higher is quite a big one
- significantly faster, more memory, T & L in hardware.

All GeForce cards have T&L in hardware.

Sure ?

I thought it was from the GF3 onwards...

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old November 24th 03, 04:57 PM
Andrew

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:46:03 +0000, Mark Morrison
wrote:

All GeForce cards have T&L in hardware.

Sure ?

Yes thanks, I just won the same dull argument in another thread in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.
Old November 24th 03, 05:11 PM

(John) wrote in message . com...
Anybody know when you'll absolutely need a Directx 9 card to have any
fun with games? It seems that games like Halo and Max Payne 2 use
Directx 9 features sparingly, and therefore, it's no big deal if I
play them on my Directx 8.1 card (which is a GeForce 4 Ti 4200).

Are we talking 3-4 months maybe?

I'm just trying to get a handle on when to spend the bucks for an
upgrade.

thanks.

I was trying to figure this out a couple of months ago. What someone
needs to do is take a few screenshots and record a few gameplay demo
movies to show off the differences between DX8 and DX9 hardware.

From what i've seen so far, there really isn't much visual difference
seen yet. That just means no game has made use of the DX9 hardware
enough to show a real difference. I've seen a few screenshots of
Halflife 2 that supposedly showed the differences. It was only
apparent in the way the water reflected images or obscured objects
underwater. There was a *slight* difference between dx8 and dx9
cards. But barely noticeable.

The high density lighting is a bit more impressive but i think only
halflife 2 has this feature so far. Imagine standing in a dark room
that has a hole in the roof, and sunlight is streaming through the
hole. with dx8 hardware you get a sunlight colored beam coming in.
with DX9 high density lighting you really see sunlight pouring through
the hole. so far it's the only dx9 effect i've been impressed by.

I guess the dx9 shaders and whatnot must allow some things to be done
faster than their dx8 equivalents but i also know that the new dx9
features can slow your framerate just because they are so intensive.

So unless someone else has other examples, i'd say that there's no
visual quality reason to upgrade specifically to a dx9 card except
that they also happen to be more powerful and will therefore get you
faster framerates than your current out of date card. But once
halflife 2 is out, maybe that will change.