SOUND PROBLEMS IN ALL GAMES

Old January 26th 04, 04:45 PM
Orhan

Default SOUND PROBLEMS IN ALL GAMES

Hi,

After replacing my GA-8KNXP (rev 1.0, retail) with a new one (rev 2.0,
OEM) I get sound problems in games. Morrowind, Prince of Persia, Big
Mutha Truckers just to name a few. I've had to replace it because the
first one was dead. (Dealer connected front headphone wrong.)

I didn't reinstall OS (Windows 98SE). I think I didn't need that
because of the same chipset, or? All programs run fine except sounds
in games. DX Test doesn't report any errors. Direct3D Test and graphic
performance in games are very good. All drivers are up to date.
(Geforce FX5600 with Forceware 53.04, Realtek ALC658 driver v.3.54 and
DirectX 9.0)

Unfortunately there occur sometimes -sorry, I don't know the
definitive word exactly- pops, clicks, cackling and tapping noises in
game sounds. I hope you understand me. But this is for a short while
only. And generally at start of a fight or action frame included sound
and music files. At this very moment the game performance also
decreases. Could it be graphic drivers?

I'm concerned about my UPS (Antec True Power 380W). Could it be also
damaged so that it doesn't provide the necessary current at those
moments? Or it is the onboard sound chip ALC658 or it's drivers? I
can't remember any sound problems in games with GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 and
ALC655.

I have P4 2.8C.

Any ideas for the cause, please?

Orhan
Old January 27th 04, 02:11 AM
Kilgore Trout Jr

The version 2.0 board uses a different audio chip than was used on the
original GA-8KNXP. You very likely have the wrong audio drivers if you
simply changed out the MB without making any other changes.

om...

Old January 27th 04, 07:25 AM
Orhan

That's right. But ALC658 (audio chip on rev 2.0) and ALC655 (chip on
rev 1.0) use both same drivers. The latest version on Realtek Website
is 3.54.

I had version 3.48 before changing out my motherboard. For the new MB
I downloaded the newest one from Realtek (3.53) except Realtek media
Player. The audio drivers and the player are separate downloads. First
I did uninstall the older drivers and installed just the audio drivers
without the player.

And now I've got 3.54, the newest one.

That's all.

Orhan

Old January 27th 04, 07:46 AM
John

"Orhan" wrote in message
[...]

I have a different board witha similar sound chip and WinME. I had sound
problems until I got the sound driver from the Microsoft update site. It is
fine now.
John.

Old January 27th 04, 07:17 PM
Randy Miller

That's funny that you should say that about the nForce onboard sound,
as that's what my new board is, and for the first time in forever,
DXdiag says that my system doesn't support hardware acceleration of
sound.... whatever that does

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:49:01 +1300, Dumdedo
wrote:

On 26 Jan 2004 23:25:15 -0800, (Orhan) wrote:

That's right. But ALC658 (audio chip on rev 2.0) and ALC655 (chip on
rev 1.0) use both same drivers. The latest version on Realtek Website
is 3.54.

I had version 3.48 before changing out my motherboard. For the new MB
I downloaded the newest one from Realtek (3.53) except Realtek media
Player. The audio drivers and the player are separate downloads. First
I did uninstall the older drivers and installed just the audio drivers
without the player.

And now I've got 3.54, the newest one.

That's all.

Orhan

You can't get good sound from on board sound, its just not possible as they
use the CPU to do all the driving, and when the CPU is needed for other things
the sound crap out.

Only the Nforce onboard sound, that is any good..

Called nVidia Sound Storm Audio

Old January 28th 04, 05:19 AM
Orhan

Where did you get this sound driver from? I couldn't find any sound
drivers on Microsoft Webpage.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version 3.54a from Realtek and hoped
the sound stuttering in games would be solved.

Nothing changed.

Orhan

Old January 29th 04, 02:08 AM
John

I just went to the MS update page and it offered to install it for me.
Perfect. Just need some decent rear speakers.
John.
om...

Old February 13th 04, 04:02 PM
Orhan

Yesterday I disabled the on board sound and installed a Creative SB
Audigy 2 ZS. No problems anymore.

A recommendation:
CTHelper.exe, a Creative application, must be disabled in startup
list. It locks the system. The mine at least.

Orhan

"John" wrote in message ...
I just went to the MS update page and it offered to install it for me.
Perfect. Just need some decent rear speakers.
John.
om...

Old February 15th 04, 02:04 PM
Dimitris

I'm concerned about my UPS (Antec True Power 380W). Could it be also
damaged so that it doesn't provide the necessary current at those
moments? Or it is the onboard sound chip ALC658 or it's drivers? I
can't remember any sound problems in games with GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 and
ALC655.

I have P4 2.8C.

Any ideas for the cause, please?

Orhan

I believe that your problem is a power problem. Disabling onboard
sound and using PCI Audidy, worked because Audigy cards draw less
power than these onboard audio chips. I believe that your pc locks at
the startup due to power inefficiency(hard disks work more and all the
other devices are initialized then). Remember me when you will add
more pci cards.
Old February 16th 04, 07:06 AM
Orhan

Sorry Dimitris. I think I didn't explain correctly the lockup symptom
(my poor english!).
It was NOT the onboard sound that locked my system. It was the
Creative Software installed with Audigy 2 ZS.

My system hasn't been locked at startup. It locked during internet
activity. I found out that Cthelper.exe, installed from Creative CD,
loads at startup and -according to some informations I read- uses up
to 100% of CPU. After canceling its loading (msconfig/startup) the
problem has been solved. But I don't know what this cthelper does
during internet access.

Thanks again.

Orhan