compatibility issue?

Old July 1st 03, 12:06 PM
Guillaume Montargot

Default compatibility issue?

Hi, I just bought a video card :
leadteck winfast Geforce Fx 5600 with 256 Mb DDR.

I put it on my computer (with Gigabyte GA-7VAX VIA KT400)

When I put the power on, it works for 3 seconds and then it shuts down.
There is nothing at the screen.
I installed the card right and i deleted the old drivers.
I wonder if this is not a compatibility issue, which would be strange
because the motherboard is agp 8x.
Do you see something else ?
Thank you very much.

Old July 1st 03, 01:13 PM
Guillaume Montargot

I also tried installing the card without one HD and it was the same result.
I'm not sure it's because of PSU.

"Amethyst" a écrit dans le message de news:
Guillaume Montargot wrote:
Hi, I just bought a video card :
leadteck winfast Geforce Fx 5600 with 256 Mb DDR.

I put it on my computer (with Gigabyte GA-7VAX VIA KT400)

When I put the power on, it works for 3 seconds and then it shuts down.
There is nothing at the screen.
I installed the card right and i deleted the old drivers.
I wonder if this is not a compatibility issue, which would be strange
because the motherboard is agp 8x.
Do you see something else ?
Thank you very much.

Sounds like a PSU issue. Are you sure your PSU is rated highly enough for
such a card?

--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of £1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

Old July 1st 03, 07:46 PM
michael

What wattage is your PSU?I had a Ti 4200 with a 250 watt PSU and my system
would do the same thing with games that had high powered graphics.
If the card is demanding more power than your system can supply,it can cause
this.With an FX 5600,you need at least 350 watts..

Old July 2nd 03, 01:16 AM
kony

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:13:45 +0200, "Guillaume Montargot"
wrote:

I also tried installing the card without one HD and it was the same result.
I'm not sure it's because of PSU.

So, what make/model/combined 3V+5V rating is it?

An abrupt turn-off like that does suggest a PSU inadequacy, unless the
card itself is defective or you've disturbed something whilst
installing the card.

Removing a hard drive won't tell you much, they primarily produce a
higher draw on the 12V rail at power-on, but not significantly on the
3V or 5V rail, at least not enough to make a difference.

Underclocking (and undervolting if possible) the CPU, and perhaps
motherboard FSB, Memory, would be a more useful power-reduction on the
appropriate rail(s).

Dave

Old July 2nd 03, 10:40 AM
Guillaume Montargot

Thank you very much to everybody.

Now the problem is solved, it wasn't FSU because it works now on a 300W.
In fact the motherboard was not well attached and there was an electric
contact because of the fact that the new graphic card is heavier than the
old one (Geforce 4 mx).

It's a but stupid like problem, but a stupid problem is still a problem.
Thank you very much again.

"GTS" a écrit dans le message de news:
I agree that the PSU could be at issue as some have noted, but have you
considered that the new video card might just be defective? I have
certainly received bad parts from time to time. If possible, I'd

recommend
testing it in another PC to confirm or eliminate this possibility.

GTS Computer Service
serving northern New Jersey
www.gtscomputerservice.com