advice on backup device for 9300

Old July 8th 03, 11:59 AM
aft

Default advice on backup device for 9300

Thanks Edward

I didn't know a pcmcia version of usb 2.0 was available , will look into it.

Aft
"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
igy.com...
Yes, you can. You need a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, along with drivers for your
OS if it is otherwise unsupported (Microsoft provides them for 2000 and

XP,
but not earlier releases).

"aft" wrote in message
Dear Anthony

Thank you for your very detailed and helpful reply, I have looked into

all
your
suggestions and while i find the idea of the hdd very good in

conjunction
with my requirements, the transfer speed from hdd to the 9300 usb 1 port
seems very slow. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade to a usb 2 port

on
the 9300?

The CDRW option was the most appealing but again connecting it to the

usb
1
port
is a compromise, although this would fit my requierements precisely.

The static devices like the usb memory sticks are very apppealing, I

shall
look to
purchase one to try it out. Although the price per MB is expensive and

will
not be able to backup much of my artwork. But sounds good for smaller
files.

While you have suggested the Firewire cable, unfortunately this would be
ideal but as it is not as universal as the usb port, it immediately has
limitations. will need to plug in firewire cards in other pcs.

Thank you once again for your help.

Aft.

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote in message
I have a 9300 as well. And yes, LS-120s, as good as they were, just

don't
seem to hold up (and the disks are hard to get now anyway). I recently

got
20 gig Simpletech Simpledrive deluxe. There also are other brands of

these
units, which essentially are nothing more than the same laptop hard

drive
you have in your 9300 placed in a plastic box (about the size of a

deck
of
playing cards) with some electronics needed to use both USB/USB2 or
Firewire, your choice.

I use the Firewire cable, though the 9300's Firewire port is NOT

powered,
so
you will have to use the drive's power pack or get a powered Firewire

PCMCIA
card if you intend to use the drive away from an outlet.

When plugged in, the drive appears simply as another drive letter in

Windows
Explorer (you also can make a desktop shortcut to it, just like a

floppy).
It supports drag and drop and everything else an LS-120 can do. You

also
can
attach the unit to a desktop to transfer files back and forth between

the
laptop and desktop. The unit comes with a driver that you must install

for
Win98. For WindowsXP and 2000, you don't even need the driver. Just

attach
the cable and go, right out of the box.

It works very well and are lightning fast. I paid about $120 for the

20
gig
model on a great rebate promotion at Circuit City. There are units

with
capacities of more than 20 gigabyte - I think the max was 60 gig the

last
time I looked. As I said, I'm pretty sure there are brands other than
Simpletech. So take a look around. I got a little camera bag to put

mine
in
for when I travel.

Other possibilities are CD writers (kinda small and slow), DVD writers
(definitely slow), tape drives (I've never used one) and PCMCIA hard

drives
(though I guess those won't help you connect to a desktop). You also

can
get
a second drive for your 9300. And they are making these little memory
devices you attach to your key chain that hold quite a bit. They are

very
small and attach to the USB port. I saw an amazing one at Wal-Mart

that
holds 120 MB. It was only $40! Seems great if you are carrying files

back
and forth between home and the office.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

(I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you must
email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email address will

be
valid for a short time only.)

"aft" wrote in message
Hi all

I have a Gateway 9300 laptop, usb ports,firewire etc.

i require a backup device for artwork from 50 mb upto 200 mb

and for general files.

However i would also like to connect it to desktops, ie have

portability.

I have been using LS120's but they have not been reliable lately.

any advice appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Af