GeForce 4 MX 440 vs GeForce 3 Ti 200

Old August 6th 03, 08:56 PM

Default GeForce 4 MX 440 vs GeForce 3 Ti 200

Hi all

I upgrraded?! to a GF MX440 a few months back and have found serious degrade
in games performance since. Allied Assault runs poorly even with default
settings, but crank it up to trilinear filtering and the game becomes
unplayable. Battlefield 1942 is completely unplayable on even the lowest
settings available but I know this game is reputed to be poorly coded to I
see that one as a double whammy.

Would I be advised to get back my Ti200 adn replace the MX or is this some
other issue?

My rig is

P4 1.7
512MB SDRAM
GeForce 4 MX440 64MB DDR
1x80Gb 1x40Gb HDD
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Cambridge Soundworks 2200 5.1 Speakers
15" TFT Monitor

Regards

Daniel Yates

--
[NBS]Druidwitch
http://www.nbsnipers.com

Old August 6th 03, 09:41 PM
Wanderer

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 20:56:58 +0100, "[NBS]Druidwitch"
wrote:

[...]

The GF4MX was a *DOWNGRADE* from your GF3!!!!! You made a
HUUUUUUUUUUGE mistake. Remember, the GF4MX is just a GF2MX with a
faster memory controller. That's it! It's only a DX7 compliant card.
Your GF3 is a DX8 compliant card. You went from a fairly powerful
card to a castrated card that nvidia slapped the GF4 name on just to
sell it.

Old August 6th 03, 10:38 PM
Larry Roberts

wrote:

[...]

"Chalk" this up as a learning experience. Now days, you need
to read the reviews before jumping on something. The GF3 Ti200 is a
DX8 supported card while the GF4MX line is a DX7 supported card. They
are just GF2 cards that Nvidia overclocked a little, and slapped a GF4
lable on them. That GF3 Ti200 will stomp all over any MX series card.
The GF3 Ti200 is as good as a 128bit memory bus FX5200, and
stomps all over the FX5200 when overclocked. I'd go back to the Ti200,
or try, and move upto at least an FX5600.

Old August 6th 03, 10:41 PM
Biz

it's in teh subject line............^^^^^^
"Mario Kadastik" wrote in message ...
[NBS]Druidwitch wrote:
Hi all

I upgrraded?! to a GF MX440 a few months back and have found serious degrade

from what did you "upgrade" ?

Mario

Old August 6th 03, 10:45 PM
Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik wrote:

[NBS]Druidwitch wrote:

Hi all

I upgrraded?! to a GF MX440 a few months back and have found serious
degrade

from what did you "upgrade" ?

Mario

Well ... I now read the subject and found you were talking about Geforce
3 Ti 200.

I have some bad news for you. GF4 MX440 isn't quite GeForce 4 card. It's
more like a tuned GF2 MX card. So you have just downgraded. The MX card
is DX7 card while Ti200 is a DX8 card. Ti200 should be faster than any
MX card and I think it's even comparable to a FX5200 in some aspects.

I did a quick search on Futuremark to see 3dmark03 scores and found my
not clocked at all Asus V9520/Magic/T (FX5200 128 MB card) gave scores
compairable to GF3 Ti200. Both show same scores when OC-d ...

So I'd recommend to return the MX card and use your Ti200 as it's a lot
more powerful card.

Mario

Old August 6th 03, 11:40 PM
Mario Kadastik

Biz wrote:
Got it already... Replied to my own reply in 1 min Might not have
gotten to you by the time you read the first post I see quite a lot
replies first and then the original post so out of date messages are
quite ok

Mario

Old August 7th 03, 07:22 PM
MheAd

Like people already explained for you, you made a huge mistake, as GF 3
Ti200 is much faster then GF 4 MX440.
But, there is some other thing that wories me even more. You are describing
Medal Of Honor and BF1942 as being *unplayable* on GF4 MX. Something is
wrong with your cards drivers or something. I have more or less same system
as you do, and with GF4 MX, I was able to get both game run smoothly in
1024*768 resoulution with all details set at MAX.
So you should check your graphic drivers out.

Old August 10th 03, 07:31 AM
Ron Merts

Bit late I suppose, but the GF3 Ti200 will probably beat your MX 440,
especially if you got one of the 64Mb SE models with SDRAM rather than DDR
memory. The big gripe against the MX cards was their mediocre performance.
I have seen post after post about how the FX 5200 and FX 5200 Ultra gets
beat by the MX 440 cards, and to be honest on a Pentium 4 2.4-3.06 (or
2.4C-3.0C) CPU and the AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with Windows XP Pro or Home with
SP1 and 512Mb of Memory it just is not true; the FX 5200 is a little faster
(10-20%) than every MX 440 DDR memory card I have tested (Albatron, ASUS,
MSI, eVGA, ABit, Gainward MX 440 4X or 8X AGP with 64Mb DDR vs. Daytona
GeForce FX 5200 non-Ultra with 128Mb of DDR and 128 bit datapath) and the
5200 Ultra (eVGA FX 5200 Ultra) beats the same MX 440 cards by nearly 45% or
more. I'm not talking about overclocking this or tweaking that to make
anything faster; just pull it out of the box, use the same drivers on the
same system(s) and look at the numbers for yourself.

Ron

"[NBS]Druidwitch" wrote in message
Well, I have replaced the card and seemingly have an immediate 1000 point
increase in 3DMark01 SE without any tweaking. Gonna have a fiddle and
overclock over the next few days and see what I can do with it. I never
realised till I got it back that it has both a fan and ram sinks fitted
already so my overclocking shall bem ighty! lmao

Will let you all know how it goes - cheers for the advice - I needed that
kick up the proverbial

Regards

Daniel Yates

--