Just an observation

Old April 16th 11, 07:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Annie Woughman

Default Just an observation

We have three Gateway computers, two bought in 2005, another one in
2007. All three of these machines have SATA capabilities on the
motherboards and the hard drives are SATA but the DVD drives are IDE. None
of the power supplies had more than the two SATA plugs. Things were
starting to fail on one of the machines so we bought one of those ZT
machines from Costco. The MSI motherboard has 5 SATA slots, but again the
power supply has two lousy SATA connectors which were already taken up with
the SATA hard drive and the SATA DVD-RW drives. Why do they build machines
like this? A power supply isn't that expensive. You can buy a Cool Master
power supply with five SATA connectors for $39 from Newegg. This is
especially frustrating because it is almost impossible to find IDE DVD
drives now. Since I prefer having two DVD drives on my machines (easier to
copy disks with two) I had to buy a SATA to IDE adapter to put a 2nd DVD
drive in this brand new machine. Adding a 2nd CD/DVD drive used to be a
no-brainer easy upgrade, it would still be if they would stop putting power
supplies in them that didn't match the SATA capabilities of the
motherboards.

Old April 16th 11, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Annie Woughman" wrote in message
[...]

You could have used something like this for power, if there are enough data
connectors on the motherboard:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCsQ8gIwAA#

or

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

--
SC Tom

Old April 16th 11, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Annie Woughman

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

[...]

I realize there are workarounds, I just don't understand why they are still
putting the old type power supplies in the newer computers.

Old April 16th 11, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"SC Tom" wrote in message ...

[...]

$$$$$$$.
Everyone is trying to save them, even if it impacts the customer. Doesn't
make it right, but that's just the way it is.
--
SC Tom

Off topic observation Menno Hershberger General 5 November 9th 11 01:49 AM
New 8400 observation John O Dell Computers 6 May 16th 05 02:28 AM
Interesting observation Gerry Wolf Homebuilt PC's 3 September 18th 04 04:09 PM
Memory observation JJO Dell Computers 2 July 3rd 04 04:42 PM
temp' observation Basek Overclocking AMD Processors 1 March 4th 04 02:28 PM