Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?

Old January 16th 04, 01:19 AM
Karolus des Reyches197

Default Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?

What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets around 4000
Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?

Old January 16th 04, 01:33 AM
Carey Frisch [MVP]

The Intel P4 3.0GHz rates 5000 Dry Stones greater.

Old January 16th 04, 01:43 AM
Hank

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote in message
The Intel P4 3.0GHz rates 5000 Dry Stones greater.

WRONG!
OP states the AMD gets "around" 4000 drystones so therefore your answer is
incorrect. The correct answer would be the Intel P4 3.0GHz rates 5000 Dry
Stones greater, give or take a few pebbles.

Hank

Old January 16th 04, 01:46 AM
Jim Macklin

The Intel is 125% faster

"Karolus des Reyches197" wrote in
message ...

Old January 16th 04, 01:59 AM
Karolus des Reyches197

INTEL 3.0 is only 125 % faster than an AMD 1100???

Do I read that right?

Old January 16th 04, 02:01 AM
Karolus des Reyches197

Intel 3.0 GHZ only 125 % faster than a AMD 1100???

Old January 16th 04, 02:02 AM
Karolus des Reyches197

What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets around 4000
Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?
Only 125 % faster for the INTEL???

Old January 16th 04, 02:39 AM
Jim Macklin

Maybe I should have said 225% faster.

"Karolus des Reyches197" wrote in
message ...
| INTEL 3.0 is only 125 % faster than an AMD 1100???
|
| Do I read that right?
|

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| The Intel is 125% faster
|

| "Karolus des Reyches197" wrote
in
| message ...
| | What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100
computer
| gets around 4000
| | Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?
| |
| |

Old January 18th 04, 12:13 AM
Kevin Lawton

Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
| What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets
| around 4000 Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?

You'll probably notice that the Expensive new Pentium-IV feels a little
quicker and smoother in everyday use compared to the old-and-cheap AMD 1100.
How much of a difference this makes in practise, and how important it is to
you, depends on what sort of thing you are doing.
Anything to do with fast graphics, 3D, rendering and that is likely to
benefit from running on the better machine. If you are just doing a bit of
e-mails, web surfing and letter-writing, you'll probably find the old AMD
quite good enough.
If you are considering what to buy, then an AMD 1100 could hardly
described as 'future proof' - it is already below what could be considered
entry level. However, unless you really need to push the limits, the 3 GHz
Intel could be overkill at the moment - though probably still more than
adequate for a few years to come.
I'd suggest you might find the best price/performance comprimise somewhere
in the 2.5 GHz AMD XP chips, coupled with plenty of memory etc.
Kevin.

Old January 18th 04, 07:22 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.

I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1 internal,
1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.

Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital photos and
movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).

I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to upgrade that
too.

Most of my time is spent in

E-mails
Newsgroups-computers and computer related
Stocks and analysis
Word
Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
Excel
Image photo processing
and editing, printing of final photos.

That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.

NOW, what is it you recommend?

Thanks in advance

alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.w indowsxp.hardware
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:13 PM
Subject: Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?