Dell Notebook computers sharing IRQ 11

Old January 10th 04, 12:52 AM
RB

Look this up in the MS KnowledgeBase (if your using Win2000) for an
explanation of IRQ sharing (by design):

Q252420

And this one for those using WinXP:

314068

In short, here's what it says, and I quote:

"In Windows, peripheral component interconnect (PCI) devices can share IRQs.
In accord with the Plug and Play capability that is defined by the PCI
specification, adapters are configured by the computer BIOS and are then
examined by the operating system and changed if necessary. It is normal
behavior for PCI devices to have IRQs shared among them, especially on
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) computers that have
Windows ACPI support enabled."

RB

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
"Andy Peake" wrote in message
om...

After struggling with this same issue for several months, I was told
by a Dell upper level tech support person that I cannot change the
IRQ assignments on my notebook.

I don't think I can with mine either, but I haven't sweated the issue
because it works just fine the way it is (I'm using an MBox with a
Sony laptop and external Firewire drive). Makes we wonder if sheets
has an actual problem that needs solving, or if his efforts are more
of a pre-emptive strike aimed at "potential" problems.

I think that some people would be really surprised to hear that the old

IBM
mainframes, with zillions of I/O devices all over the place, many running
fast and furious, routed essentially all I/O through 1 IRQ. They did this
with clock speeds as low as 1 MHz or less.

Old January 10th 04, 03:56 PM
Sheets

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I think that some people would be really surprised to hear that the old

IBM
mainframes, with zillions of I/O devices all over the place, many running
fast and furious, routed essentially all I/O through 1 IRQ. They did this
with clock speeds as low as 1 MHz or less.

Those machines weren't processing 24bit,48k digital audio in real time
though.

Old January 10th 04, 04:03 PM
Sheets

Several folks want to know what the problem is...

The problem is that periodically the FW410 will just stop working and its
blue LED will blink rapidly. Hot-plugging does not re-establish the
connection. I have to reboot the computer and the fw410, sometimes multiple
times before it'll work. Apparently, m-audio flashes the firmware everytime
the system boots up and the only docs I can find on the blinking led talk
about the firmware not flashing properly. Obviously, this did *NOT* happen
in the middle of a session where it was working fine up 'til some point.
There must be some other situation that causes this problem but it's not
documented and their tech support is unaware of this.

"DKID" wrote in message
On 8 Jan 2004 07:52:21 -0800,
(sheets) wrote:

I went through something similar last year just to finally give up on
the interface/software combo in my laptop.

Can you tell me what the problem is? Wwhy you want to move the IRQ?
What Firewire interface and DAW software are you using?

I have a dell notebook and it's firewire port shares IRQ 11 with:

IRQ 11 Dell C840 OK
IRQ 11 Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2482 OK
IRQ 11 Intel(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2487 OK
IRQ 11 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX

Compatible) OK
IRQ 11 Texas Instruments PCI-4451 CardBus Controller OK
IRQ 11 Texas Instruments PCI-4451 CardBus Controller OK
IRQ 11 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK

I'd like to move it over to:

IRQ 4 - Com Port
IRQ 5 - Modem
IRQ 6 - Floppy Controller

(Since I don't use either of these devices.)

Any idea how I can accomplish this?

Old January 10th 04, 04:04 PM
Sheets

"Kings_Avenger" wrote in message
I believe you might see the most improvement by moving the ethernet
controller off of irq 11.

Avenger.

1) I have no ethernet connection when the problems occur
2) How do I move the IRQ?

Old January 10th 04, 04:05 PM
Sheets

"Kirk Roy" wrote in message

I will hazard a guess... If you're not using the com port, modem, or
floppy controller see if you can disable them in the bios (I know the bios
on my dell latitude doesn't allow this level of control but...). Then,
back in windows, go into the device manager and manually change the
configuration on the resources tab for the firewire controller.

The IRQ is readonly in the resources tab.

You might
also try removing the firewire controller through the device manager and
then restart windows and seeing if it uses an open IRQ when it's found
after windows gets going again...

Tried that. Comes back at 11.

Which windows are you using?

xp-pro SP1A

Old January 11th 04, 01:04 PM
Arny Krueger

"Sheets" wrote in message
news
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I think that some people would be really surprised to hear that the
old IBM mainframes, with zillions of I/O devices all over the place,
many running fast and furious, routed essentially all I/O through 1
IRQ. They did this with clock speeds as low as 1 MHz or less.

Those machines weren't processing 24bit,48k digital audio in real time
though.

True most of the time, not that it wasn't tried and done. However, with
interrupt processing, the biggest challenge is handling lots of interrupts
from lots of disparate sources. A large IBM mainframe might handle 10,000s
of interrupts per second, and from different competing sources.

It might be good to remember that there can be as little as one interrupt
per buffer, and that a buffer can hold 100's or even thousands of samples.
IOW, an audio stream can involve only a few hundred interrupts per second.