NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP

Old December 31st 03, 02:27 AM
Whelan

Thanks. I checked; they are both cleared.
Unfortunately that isn't the problem.

I just realized ... when the Compaq ran XPHome, it networked. The problem
occurred after I reformatted it Summer 2002 and installed XP Pro.

So the problem must be XP Pro-related.
Nan

"Angus Macleod" wrote in message
Perhaps XP's built-in firewall is getting in the way.

Go to your connections and right click the one called Local Area Network

and
select Properties. On the Advanced tab, ensure that "Protect my

computer..."
is unchecked.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
I've just spent 2 hours trying to get the Dell Dimension 4500 and the
Compaq laptop to see each other.
NO LUCK.
They both are logged in as the same username and password.

There was nothing useful under Network Places so I ran the XP Networking
Wizard on them (several times), restarting many times. I tried different
workgroup names. A number of folders on each is Shared.

Each time I go to Network Places, there is nothing. When I choose View
Workgroup Computers, it sputters almost a minute, then says
"(Workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to

use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find

out
if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup

is
not currently available."

The username has Administrator privileges on both.

When under My Network Places, I choose View Network Connections, under

LAN,
then Local Area Connection, then Properties-General, 4 boxes are checked

on
each:
Client for Microsoft Networks,
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks,
QoS Packet Scheduler,
and TCP/IP
Under Authentification, "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentification for this
network" is checked (I don't know what that means!). EAP type says

"Smart
Card or other Certicate" but there are other choices, "MD5-Challenge"

and
"Protected EAP"

What else can it be?

For 18 months now, I cannot get two XP computers to see each other!
Nan
"Albert Alcoceba" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:42:51 GMT, "Whelan"
wrote:

Before changing routers, I never needed a password on my primary

computer
(Dell Dimension 4500, WinXPPro) and could access files on Win98

computers
(and vice-versa) when they were connected by cable. The Win98's had a
password.

But like I said earlier, the XPPro laptop (a Compaq) has never shared

or
printed with either the Win98s or the Dimension. Now we've added a

new
Dell
Inspiron laptop (XPPro) and it cannot share or print either.

I'm beginning to wonder ... do you have to run Win98 in order to

network?
just cannot get two XP computers to see each other. I don't

understand
why.

XP, like NT, is a proper secure operating system.

You will need to create users on both machines with same login name
and password. You will need to grant these users privileges to access
the various resources you want shared.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.racysrailway.com/
Remove REMOVE

Old December 31st 03, 06:58 AM
Scott

Byt the way, doesn't Tweak UI give you the option of automatically
providing the password during bootup?

Scott

wrote:

Actually, the password can be blank on both machines under certain
circumstances.

I'm running one machine with Win2000 and one with Win98. The
important issue is that both must match. If the Win2000 machine
requires a login password, the Win98 machine must do so also in order
to share resources. However, if the Win2000 machine has a "default"
login specified, and that login does not require a password, the Win98
machine should match it (same login, but no password). It's working
for me now, once I set both machines up like that.

Previously, both were running Win98 and neither required a password.
Once I upgraded one to Win2000, the scenario changed per above.

HTH.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:28:45 -0500, "PC-Gladiator"
wrote:

Actually, I think it has always been this way. When I was trying to get my
first home network setup working with W95 & W98se systems, I found the login
issue by accident. I hadn't seen it mentioned in any of the research I had
done prior to my first networking adventure.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Scotty,

I have found that any Win 95/98/me computer that needs to access resources

on
computer running Windows NT/2000/XP MUST have Client for Microsoft

Networks
installed and MUST login with a password. The lack of a login password,

i.e.
blank password, or simply hitting the login Cancel button on the 95/98/Me
computer effectively prohibits access to any shared resources on the other
computer. In other words, NT rules dictate that all computers in the net

log in
with passwords in order to access files and printers on an NT-class

operating
system.

I hope this helps... Ben Myers

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:52:18 -0500, "Chopperdad"

wrote:

I have almost the exact opposite problem. So long I had the printer

hooked
up to the 98SE computer, I could print off of either computer via the
network. When I switched it over the weekend to the XP computer, the

98SE
would not print to it although it knew it was out there on the network.

can interchanges files and that, but I can't print to the printer from

the
98SE machine now, but the speed that the printer prints from the XP Home

has
dramatic improved.

Old December 31st 03, 07:56 AM
PC-Gladiator

Uncheck "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentification for this network" and give it a
go.
BTW, you can get rid of QoS Packet Scheduler.

Old December 31st 03, 07:58 AM
PC-Gladiator

But again, if your just on a home network, behind a firewall router, and
your machines are not on 24/7, you typically don't need to be particularly
paranoid.

Unless you have "adventurous" children! ;-)

"Ray Setzer" wrote in message
Make sure both computers belong to the same WORKGROUP. Don't confuse
Workgroup with Domain. For basic home use, you just want a simple

Workgroup.
Sometimes XP will reset the Workgroup name to whatever it uses for a
default. MSHOME or something like that. I have one computer here in my
office lan that sometimes cannot access the network, and when I look at

the
network properties, its will have gone and changed the Workgroup name.

XP is sets up easy for sharing. On XPPro, if you give FULL access to a
folder, you will have allowed the Guest account to access that resouce. On
XPHome, shareing a folder will always make that the case. But on XPPro you
can fine tune the sharing a great deal, giving only specific users rights

do certain things, ect.

Old December 31st 03, 09:18 AM
Whelan

Thanks. I made both these changes on both.
That didn't fix it though.

Old December 31st 03, 09:27 AM
Whelan

I do have the same workgroup name. I tried MSHome, then our name, then our
street name, then back to MSHome.
I'm not that paranoid about security. I just wish we could print without
using a 3.5" disk. And move files from one computer to another. And print
from the web.

Looks like I'll have to move 18GB (data from 2.5 yrs of college) from the
Compaq to the Inspiron using a usb minidrive or buy a crossover cable.

Old December 31st 03, 02:22 PM
Angus Macleod

Are the machines connected to a router? Do they have local IP addresses
(192.168.....) or does each machine have an address assigned by your ISP?

Angus.

Old December 31st 03, 04:45 PM
Ray Setzer

Ok, this is just serioulsy bizzare. Its not SUPPOSED to be that hard!

1. If both computers belong to the same Workgroup, you 'Should' see them in
"Computers Near Me".
2. If you take a folder or printer on one machine and give it full sharing
rights, then it 'should' be visable to anyone on the network.

All this enable this, and add user that and password this is all decent
advice, and very appropriate for the advanced user wanting a secure network,
but for the old basic, "Lets just get this puppy up and working" test, none
of that should be the sticking point.

This is just weird. I have half a dozen XP Pros running, all connected to a
simple router where they get their internet connection from and also get
their network routing from. Everytime I plug a new one in, and give it the
proper Workgroup name, it just reaches out and touches the others.

Ok, You don't specify, but I'm assuming you have both XPpro machines
connected to a router. I will also assume that both these machines are able
to connect to the internet through this router. You don't indicate a problem
about that, and you did mention DSL, so we're probably on the right track.
If this is NOT the case however, then there is a potential Ah-ha, there. But
if both are connected to a router, and both are able to access the internet
through that router, then we know both are meeting at router at least.

So, if BOTH machines belong to the same Workgroup. And you have Shared a
printer on one XP machine, and you see the little "Hand" on the printer that
indicates sharing, its supposed to be available to any machine on the same
Workgroup. At least its supposed to be that simple.

W98 to XP and W98 or XP to W2k machines can be a little cranky, but XPpro to
XPpro should, on the most basic "yes I see this other computer" level be
almost like two tin cans and a string, right out of the box, no special
tweaking needed. (Oddly enough, W98 was actually quite user friendly in the
networking department, but it lacked any security, and these days, that can
be very bad.)

One last question. By any chance to you have any any software firewall stuff
running. Like maybe Zone Alarm or one of the packages from Norton or Mcafee,
ect that have virus protection plus other bells and whistles like internet
security? Its a shot in the dark, but if you do have something like this
running, there is another potential "Ah-ha" moment.

Old December 31st 03, 06:28 PM
Whelan

Thanks. I'll check the ISP addresses ... I'm not sure about that.
(And maybe that is different since switching from Netgear to the Belkin
Wireless router. I haven't connected the Win98 machines since switching to
Belkin.)
Ray has a good point too, about Norton possibly playing a role.

Old December 31st 03, 07:09 PM
Whelan

Thanks a lot, Ray. For the tips and for understanding my frustration.
The Sharing hands are visible, the DSL works on all.
I only have one 50' cable here now, so I've only tried one XP laptop at a
time. They are all connected (at times) through a new Belkin Wireless
Router. (I had a very reliable NetGear Gateway Router until Nov.30, but the
XPs didn't network then either.)

But (Duh!) your last point could be the key.
They each have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed! That wasn't a
problem with the Win98s, but it's possible I haven't used them much since
the Norton 2002 expired and I replaced with 2003.

Now that you mention it, we recently set up 5 new computers and a server at
my husband's office. After I installed my Norton 2003 on the workstations
there, it created sharing problems. You cannot install just the Anti-Virus
part of Norton Internet Security 2003. But we could and did "disable" the
Internet Security portion, and that fixed the problem there.

I will try disabling the Norton Internet Security on all here, and see if
that is the problem. I didn't even think of that till you mentioned it!
I'll report back in a few hours.
Nan
PS: Getting the wireless Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN miniPCI card that I
purchased on the new Inspiron to work is another matter!

Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 04:47 PM
Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE) Cerridwen General 6 February 29th 04 03:13 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP Chopperdad Dell Computers 77 January 5th 04 08:12 PM
Networking 98SE & XP T.R. Gateway Computers 17 December 17th 03 10:21 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER ON WINDOWS 98SE & XP Chopperdad Gateway Computers 2 December 17th 03 03:28 PM