$300 to spend

Old October 5th 04, 07:00 PM
newsreader

Default $300 to spend

Upgrade my Sapphire 9800 pro to a 9800XT?

or

Intel CPU 2.8c to 3.2e???

Old October 5th 04, 07:28 PM
YanquiDawg

CPU.

Old October 5th 04, 07:29 PM
Todd Brooks

Best bet is save your money.

Old October 5th 04, 09:07 PM
JK

How about a socket 754 motherboard and an Athlon 64 3200+
socket 754? I assume that you already have PC3200 ddr ram.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=6

You can get a better video card later.

Old October 5th 04, 11:13 PM
kony

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:07:14 -0400, JK
wrote:

How about a socket 754 motherboard and an Athlon 64 3200+
socket 754? I assume that you already have PC3200 ddr ram.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=6

You can get a better video card later.

As much as i hate to agree with our resident AMD pimp,
your best upgrade would be to a newer 90nm, A64 3500 and
motherboard.
Old October 6th 04, 12:43 AM
Cuzman

"newsreader" wrote in message

" Upgrade my Sapphire 9800 pro to a 9800XT? or Intel CPU 2.8c to 3.2e???
"

Do you already have 1GB of PC3200 DDR? Will your PSU handle a big upgrade?
What about the rest of your system?

It's pointless upgrading from a 9800Pro to a 9800XT, as you'll see from this
comparison.
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...004/index.html

If you are desperate to upgrade now, sell your CPU and motherboard on eBay.
It's within your budget to buy a Socket 939 motherboard and an Athlon64
3500+ now. Your 9800 Pro should suffice until the AGP 6600GT comes along.

If you can wait a couple of months, get an Athlon64 3500+, skt 939 PCI-E
motherboard and a PCI-E 6600GT. Check the 6600GT review at
http://snipurl.com/9kbn

There are cost variables with the motherboard and the future price of the
3500+, but, eBay proceeds aside, you should be able to do it for around
$400.

- Skt 939 motherboard $100 - $200
- Athlon64 3500+ (currently $315)
- 6600GT 128MB (predicted to be $199)

Old October 6th 04, 12:48 AM
MCheu

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:00:27 -0300, "newsreader"
wrote:

Upgrade my Sapphire 9800 pro to a 9800XT?

or

Intel CPU 2.8c to 3.2e???

Unless you absolutely have to spend that money, I'd suggest you just
bank it and hold off a little while.

The upgrade from the 9800Pro to a 9800XT isn't a huge leap. Not $300
worth anyways.

As for the CPU, the performance difference is pretty small there too,
especially if you're gaming, as it's gotten to the point where once
you get past 2GHz, the video card becomes more important than the CPU,
and you've already got a pretty good video card.

Bank it. In a few months time, you'll be able to buy something better
for that much, and the performance difference might actually be worth
it.

MCheu