Last Question on FX5700 before I buy it please.

Old January 7th 04, 10:00 AM
NDF

You can also get an FX5900 for the same price these days, it is much better
than the FX5700.

I recently tried a FX5700 Ultra and a FX5900 (Standard) and the FX5900 was
much better.

Have you considered the ATI Radeon 9600 series ?

"Mike Spezzano" wrote in message
£150 from dabs
"NDF" wrote in message

"Mike Spezzano" wrote in message
Ok thanks. I checked all over but nothing. Lets say its 300w.

Will that be enough?

Thanks

"NDF" wrote in message

"Mike Spezzano" wrote in message
Ok up until 30minutes ago I was prepared to buy a Gainward Geforce
FX5700
Ultra 128mb.

I notice that Gainward suggest a PSU of 300w.

I just opened up my case to check my PSU and also that I have

space
for
this
rather large card.

Space isn't a problem however my PSU shows no model name, number,

power
rating, nothing.

I bought this PC early 2002 from Simply Computers.

Athlon XP1600+
Geforce2 Ti 64mb
2 sticks of 256mb pc2100 RAM
40gb HD
Creative Live 5.1 soundcard
DVD Rom
CD-RW
External USB port with its own mains power supply
MSI KT7 6380 Pro2 Motherboard
Win XP Home

At the mo everything runs fine, no probs whatsoever.

I know the FX5700 needs its own power supply.

Will I have power problems when I put this new card in to replace

the
g2
Ti?
Anyone know the watts this card uses?

Many many thanks

Mike

All PSUs will have their specifications on a label somewhere on

their
outer
casing, iff you can't see it, it could be on the other side and the
easiest
way to check is to phyisically remove it.

Very unusual for a PSU not to have it's specs printed on it.

300W should be enough, but if you encounter problems then you will now
either way.

How much you paying for the FX5700 ?

Old January 7th 04, 07:34 PM
Mike Spezzano

Have had Nvidia from day one of my PC life and they have served me well so
gonna stick to what I know. Have heard there are driver issues with ATI.

Have not considered the 5900 to be honest as I have read that the fans are
quite noisy. I might consider it now though depends what power requirements
are for it though think it might need a 350w power supply

Thanks though - anyone else have any comments?

Old January 7th 04, 07:41 PM
Mike Spezzano

Not sure about the same price gainward 5900ultra is £277 at dabs - think
i'll stick with 5700

Old January 8th 04, 07:22 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:34:51 -0000, "Mike Spezzano"
wrote:

Have had Nvidia from day one of my PC life and they have served me well so
gonna stick to what I know. Have heard there are driver issues with ATI.

Perhaps you should look at the posts here... theres a bunch of driver
issues here as well. I have an ATi9800Pro in my Main PC, my old
Ti4200 when to my 2nd PC. I haven't had any problems.

I play Call of Duty in 1600x1200x32 in FULL MAX details... no slow
down.

But go with the 5900 for about $200.

Have not considered the 5900 to be honest as I have read that the fans are
quite noisy. I might consider it now though depends what power requirements
are for it though think it might need a 350w power supply

5900? Depends... 5800 - ugh, of course.

The MSI 5900, which a friend has - IS SILENT!! 28db...! My Ti4200
and GF3 were not as quiet as the MSI 5900!

A good 300watt PSU will be okay - again, GOOD brand - easier with AMD
motheboards which don't depend on the 12volt rails as much as the P4.
350~400watt (GOOD - $50~75) PSUs will work fine.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!