Print cartridges

Old March 2nd 11, 06:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default Print cartridges

Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the
printer today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.
Old March 2nd 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Frank" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the printer
today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.

Depending on the model printer that you have, it may not recognize refilled
cartridges, and will give you an almost constant no ink/low ink warning. I
tried a couple of different companies for ink for my old HP AIO and wasn't
real happy with the life of the black or the color cartridges. I didn't
track it by "pages per", but from install time to replacement time seemed a
lot shorter than with new HP cartridges. I don't do a lot of printing, but I
was disappointed in the life of their cartridges considering the cost I paid
versus the cost of a new HP one.
That AIO finally broke down, and I bought another HP (I like their quality,
both mechanically and print-wise) and plan on using only new HP cartridges
in it, even if they are a bit pricey.

That said, I did a comparison between numerous companies and printer models,
comparing the stated pages per cartridge against user reviews. Kodak and
Canon seemed to have the worst ratings of not living up to the stated
cartridge life, and Lexmark and HP were at least more honest (it seemed) of
lasting as stated or exceeding it. Their cartridges on average cost more per
cartridge, but not that much more (if any) per page. Kodak and HP seemed to
give a better picture using less ink than the others.

Of course, this was averaged over a number of different printers- YMMV :-)
--
SC Tom

Old March 2nd 11, 07:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

On 3/2/2011 12:14 PM, Frank wrote:
Anyone have experience with reliable on-line source of low cost print
cartridges? Cartridges for my old HP printer cost more than the printer
today and recycled cartridges are not to be found in local stores.

I don't know about where you live, but by me there are a couple of mom
and pop shops who refills printer cartridges. There might be one or two
near you too.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)
Old March 2nd 11, 07:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

On 3/2/2011 12:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Did those print cartridges have the print head as part of the cartridge,
Tom? As those disposable print heads don't seem to last too long.

Old March 2nd 11, 07:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 3/2/2011 1:42 PM, SC Tom wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

My old HP printer had done well with recycled cartridges from Kmart and
Walmart but now they only have new cartridges. HP over the years has
made their cartridges practically impossible to re-ink and their newer
printers, as you say, and my wife has, reject all but their own. It's
like a guy who worked in color film R&D years ago at Kodak told me that
the company sells its cameras practically at cost and make all their
money off the color film.

Yesterday, I got a spam email on print cartridges and they said they
were selling a 2 pack of HP15 for about 1/3 list. I don't trust this
kind of email and thought I would ask experienced buyers here. I don't
need high quality print on this printer.

Old March 2nd 11, 11:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 3/2/2011 4:00 PM, Lee wrote:
This is who I use and they have been great so far. I have a cannon pixma
normal cost of cartridge at retail 12+ change and from here I
get all 6 for around 30 if I remember correctly. quality looks great
for what I do with it and I have done pics and they looked good also.

Hope this works out for you and they are pretty fast at deliver and
also post like 10% off.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.
Frank
Old March 3rd 11, 03:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Did those print cartridges have the print head as part of the cartridge,
Tom? As those disposable print heads don't seem to last too long.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

I don't believe so. These were all low to mid-range printers. Since I have
the need for a lot of documents and pictures that need printing, I tend to
shy away from the higher end ones. The one I settled on is an HP DeskJet
3050 since it was wireless and compatible with my Win7 and XP systems. It
was ~$65 at Wallyworld, and the cartridges are $58 for both 61XL's. Probably
cheaper in the long run to throw it away and buy a new one when the ink runs
out :-)
--
SC Tom

Old March 3rd 11, 02:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

I tried to find it but believe new printers come with lower capacity
print cartridges and according to this article:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave..._capacity.html
Newer printers use cartridges with less capacity.
I have personally seen an ink recipe for print cartridges and the ink
ingredients were not expensive. The printer manufacturers are screwing us.