Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

Old September 6th 08, 02:11 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
David[_15_]

Default Any ideas why my new RAM won't work?

Hello,

Can anyone suggest to me why my new RAM sticks won't work?

I had 3 x 128mb PC133 SDRAM.
I bought 3 x 256mb PC133 SDRAM to replace them.

The PC won't even boot up with them. I've tried one of the new with
two of the old etc. - every combination I can think of, but in vain.
I've had to go back to the 128s to be able to type this, obviously.

Someone told me there is an mb limit on each slot, depending on the
make of motherboard. I presumed that must be the cause, however I've
just downloaded a helpful little program called "SIW" (systems info
Windows) and it says:-

max. memory capacity = 764
max. memory module size = 256

This now makes me think I should have been able to have 256 in each
slot (if I've interpreted "module" correctly), and 256 x 3 = 764, so
I'm confused!

Is there any thing else I needed to change anywhere? E.g. those BIOS
settings?

Grateful for any ideas!

Thanks!

Old September 6th 08, 04:18 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
Mike Walsh[_2_]

Ken wrote:

David wrote:
[...]

You should download the complete manual on your MB if you have not
already done so. Some MBs will not accept what is called high density
RAM. That is determined most often by how many ICs are on each stick.
This could be your problem. Get all the info possible before coming to
any conclusions.

A DIMM with 8 chips should work properly. A DIMM with 4 chips might be recognized as half of its actual capacity. Your memory might not work because of a timing conflict. You might be able to change the BIOS settings to a more conservative setting. You might have to use a different brand of memory.

--
Mike Walsh

Old September 6th 08, 05:36 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
jaster

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:11:41 +0000, David thoughfully wrote:

[...]

The new chips modules are too dense for the older motherboard. I'm sorry
can't remember the exact terms but 64x4 vs 128x4 or something.

Return the new memory for exchange asap, check your motherboard's memory
module density rating versus new memory before purchase. Not a guarantee
as I've had memory sticks of the same size and markings where 1 worked
the other didn't because module densities were different.

Your best option is to return the chips and for the money spent buy a new
motherboar/cpu combo and a 1GB or 2GB DDR.

You paid $200US for 3-256 PC133? versus $90US for motherboard/cpu combo
and $40US 2GB DDR.
Old September 6th 08, 06:31 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:36:07 GMT, jaster
wrote:

[...]

Maybe my eyes are going bad but where did he write that he'd
paid $200? 256MB/PC133 is about $15 a module, maybe a
little more in retail stores.
Old September 6th 08, 08:52 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
jaster

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:31:23 -0400, kony thoughfully wrote:

[...]

How much in tax and shipping for the original? If he bought them online,
return shipping is ??? If the replacements don't work that's how much
more in shipping plus tax?

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how much he paid the memory doesn't work!
Old September 6th 08, 08:54 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
David[_15_]

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:06:13 -0600, Ken wrote:

You should download the complete manual on your MB if you have not
already done so. Some MBs will not accept what is called high density
RAM. That is determined most often by how many ICs are on each stick.
This could be your problem. Get all the info possible before coming to
any conclusions.

Thanks to all those who responded. Taking it back to the shop is a
last alternative, as I didn't buy them in my own town, and it's a bit
tricky getting back. But that's by the by. This concept of high and
low density is completely new to me, and I thought I'd make this my
first avenue of investigation.

I found from the internet the LOW is 64x8 and HIGH is 128x8. I don't
understand how these figures related to 256, but ignoring that for the
moment, it rung a bell. I HAVE seen (eg) 64x8 mentioned on an (old)
ram stick before, in amongst all the various serial nos. on the
sticker (sometimes several stickers!)

Unfortunately there is no such indication on these new sticks. I've
also spent a good half an hour browsing the net with the serial
number, and yes, I found dozens and dozens of references (usually from
shops!) but whilst they all said SDRAM, PC133 etc., not one single
person mentioned if it was a high or low density item.

I'm feeling right now that they must be high, and that my motherboard
does not cater for them (will start my search for a manual to confirm
that shortly) but all the same, I'd love to know if there is any other
way I can tell high from low? (In case I ever buy ram in the future,
new or used, and it doesn't say which).

Thanks.
Old September 6th 08, 11:26 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:52:31 GMT, jaster
wrote:

You paid $200US for 3-256 PC133? versus $90US for motherboard/cpu combo
and $40US 2GB DDR.

Maybe my eyes are going bad but where did he write that he'd paid $200?
256MB/PC133 is about $15 a module, maybe a little more in retail stores.

How much in tax and shipping for the original? If he bought them online,
return shipping is ??? If the replacements don't work that's how much
more in shipping plus tax?

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how much he paid the memory doesn't work!

Buying online usually saves a significant amount of money
even considering the odds that a small percentage of that
savings would eventually be used to return something to the
seller.

Everyone who regularly deals with computer hardware accepts
that sooner or later (Or all the time) something will have
to be returned to the seller. What's the other alternative?
Having to drive to the brick and mortar store which costs
more time, gasoline and vehicle wear.

Old September 7th 08, 12:50 AM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
kony

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 19:54:26 GMT,
(David) wrote:

[...]

It might help if you told us the motherboard make, model, or
at least the northbridge chipset it uses, and what processor
you have installed since that effects whether you actually
need PC133 or could use PC100.

Generally low density PC133 memory is rare these days, most
is labeled PC100 even if it could do 133MHz to strangely
denote compatibility with the typical systems that need low
density memory because most were only using up to 100MHz
memory bus speed.

What make and model of memory is this? Can you tell if
there are original memory chip manufacturer's chip codes on
the individual chips themselves, and if so then posting what
those are might help someone determine more about the
memory.
Old September 7th 08, 01:43 PM posted to comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer.hardware
David[_15_]

It might help if you told us the motherboard make, model, or
at least the northbridge chipset it uses, and what processor
you have installed since that effects whether you actually
need PC133 or could use PC100.

Generally low density PC133 memory is rare these days, most
is labeled PC100 even if it could do 133MHz to strangely
denote compatibility with the typical systems that need low
density memory because most were only using up to 100MHz
memory bus speed.

What make and model of memory is this? Can you tell if
there are original memory chip manufacturer's chip codes on
the individual chips themselves, and if so then posting what
those are might help someone determine more about the
memory.

Thanks again for the comments. (Btw, the whole lost cost me about 30
GBP / 605 USD, but I'm not too uptight about the cost - put it this
way, I've invested and wasted much more in PC matters in the past!)

I am a complete layman at this, so talk of (eg) northbridge is a bit
technical for me! I'm not even 100% sure what is meant by chip. If you
mean those black blocks, then they all have 8, just on one side. I
don't think I've ever (personally) come across any ram module that
wasn't, so that's news to me too.

I've hunted for the type (Kingston KTD-DM133) on the net, but again,
not one reference mentioned the density.

As for the motherboard, my little (not-as-reliable-now-as-I-thought)
program says it is:-

Intel SE440BX-2
Version AA720940-208
Serial GTS285050866

As I said earlier though, the online manual for SE440BX-2 did not
mention density (as far as I could see anyway).

David

Any ideas why my new RAM won't work? David[_15_] General 28 September 10th 08 09:07 PM
Why does hd defrag work when they work on virtual/logical blocks rather than physical? Anthony Paul Storage (alternative) 17 December 27th 06 11:28 PM
help, out of ideas marsboy Printers 3 November 19th 04 11:48 AM
ATI All In Wonder 8500DV problems: I cannot get this card to work in Windows2000,except if I turn the acceleration all the way off.I have tried everything. It will work for about 10-20 minutes,and then all the text just goes berzerk.Looks kinda like TheWalrus Ati Videocards 3 November 8th 04 08:55 PM
SONY DW-U18 DVD RW drive won't read on my new ASUS P4800-E but works fine on my machine at work??? Ideas? Reg Federrer Cdr 0 August 19th 04 11:51 PM