What inkjet printer prints the best text?

Old December 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
DanG

Default What inkjet printer prints the best text?

"kony" wrote in message

Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good choice for
everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their own brand. None of
the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types are worth wasting ink on.
I've also had good results on 28# copy paper for duplexing and general
printing.

Perhaps, but if printing on sub-optimal paper using an
inkjet printer, then the difference in quality starts to
diminish between it and a laser.

With a modern color laser, the toner is semi-glossy, even
black text, unlike old B&W lasers which had matte black
output. Therefore, coated paper is best for photos on a
color laser, so it is also true for inkjets, just a differnt
type of (more costly) coating.

I find that with generic copy machine paper on an inkjet,
the text output is nowhere near as sharp as using same paper
on a laser. Basically I'm suggesting that if the volume of
text is high, there might be a justification for more than
one printer if the color output also needs to have the very
highest photo realistic output.

On the other handn when viewed at a distance, a color laser
does have fairly good output, certainly higher than what one
would find in the typical magazine.

Apparently, you are not concerned that this thread is about inkjet, not
laser.

Old December 16th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:06:57 -0500, CBFalconer
wrote:

DanG wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good
choice for everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their
own brand. None of the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types
are worth wasting ink on. I've also had good results on 28# copy
paper for duplexing and general printing.

However, for speed they lose out to any Laser printer. An inkjet,
printing text, can probably be driven at full speed with a 1200
baud line (in text). Yet printing speed of 4 to 6 pages per minute
are common, for text or graphics, with a Laser printer.

I don't want to print any 100 page manuals on any inkjet.

Today even the cheap lasers can manage around 20 pages a
minute. Sometimes the more elaborate color lasers have an
annoying tendency to "calibrate" themselves before printing
a series of high quality color documents, which I suspect
really means stabilizing a uniform temp among all transfer
rollers.
Old December 16th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:38:13 -0700, "DanG"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

True, since many people do use lasers for the described
tasks and their goals were similar to the OP's, for greater
speed. We could reply to a thread about the best brick to
use to pound a nail into a 2x4, but when hammers exist...

Old December 17th 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Burt[_3_]

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:38:13 -0700, "DanG"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

On my desk I always have the two printer solution to the problem. A good
quality b/w laser printer and an inkjet that prints good quality photos and
color graphics. The best of both worlds at this point in time. Fast text
printing for multi-page reports, documentation booklets, checks, and
business correspondance. Photo prints that look, to the naked eye, as good
as lab prints.

Old December 17th 07, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
CBFalconer

Burt wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

.... snip ...

True, since many people do use lasers for the described
tasks and their goals were similar to the OP's, for greater
speed. We could reply to a thread about the best brick to
use to pound a nail into a 2x4, but when hammers exist...

On my desk I always have the two printer solution to the problem.
A good quality b/w laser printer and an inkjet that prints good
quality photos and color graphics. The best of both worlds at
this point in time. Fast text printing for multi-page reports,
documentation booklets, checks, and business correspondance.
Photo prints that look, to the naked eye, as good as lab prints.

True. And many can simply dispose with the color printer. At any
rate it allows you to chose the optimum method. Although color
lasers are getting better and cheaper, and this optimum may soon
change.

Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net

Old December 17th 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Tony wrote:

This is one of the fastest inkjets on the market today
http://tinyurl.com/ytylwp

Tony, thanks, but there's a couple of problems here.
1. The link that you posted goes into a black hole.
2. You didn't mention the model number once in your post, so I have no
idea what machine you're talking about. And I really want to know!

So, since I really appreciate your contributions to this NG, I'd also
appreciate your simply mentioning the model so that, even if HP won't
sell me one, I know what to buy from someone else.

Thanks, Tony.

Richard
Old December 17th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
TJ

Burt wrote:

On my desk I always have the two printer solution to the problem. A good
quality b/w laser printer and an inkjet that prints good quality photos and
color graphics. The best of both worlds at this point in time. Fast text
printing for multi-page reports, documentation booklets, checks, and
business correspondance. Photo prints that look, to the naked eye, as good
as lab prints.

Probably the best solution, as long as the O.P. has the space and the
cash to buy, use, and support two printers.

TJ

Old December 17th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Tony[_2_]

Richard Steinfeld wrote:
Tony wrote:

This is one of the fastest inkjets on the market today
http://tinyurl.com/ytylwp

Tony, thanks, but there's a couple of problems here.
1. The link that you posted goes into a black hole.
2. You didn't mention the model number once in your post, so I have no
idea what machine you're talking about. And I really want to know!

So, since I really appreciate your contributions to this NG, I'd also
appreciate your simply mentioning the model so that, even if HP won't
sell me one, I know what to buy from someone else.

Oops, yes the link is bad Richard
Try
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...C8184A%2523A2L
It's the Officejet Pro K5400 which is part of a series that use the same
engine, some are multifunction devices, the 5400 is a stand alone printer.
Tony
Old December 20th 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Plato

Jan Alter wrote:

HP printers have a good reputation for giving high quality text. Color
printing should be good as well. If ink cost is not the critical factor and
the very best photo printing of that import then you may be very satisfied.

I really like the HP Photosmart C3X series

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old December 20th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
measekite

TJ wrote:
Burt wrote:

On my desk I always have the two printer solution to the problem. A
good quality b/w laser printer and an inkjet that prints good quality
photos and color graphics. The best of both worlds at this point in
time. Fast text printing for multi-page reports, documentation
booklets, checks, and business correspondance. Photo prints that
look, to the naked eye, as good as lab prints.

Probably the best solution, as long as the O.P. has the space and the
cash to buy, use, and support two printers.

TJ

If you really think about it you may buy two printers but in essence you
are really supporting one in a giving time period. You see if you use
the printers equally then in theory each will last twice as long in a
given period so each will require 1/2 the maintenance. So the average
is the same for one printer.