How detect if MP3 player is recording in your room? [OT]

Old October 19th 06, 02:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
mike

Default How detect if MP3 player is recording in your room? [OT]

Joey wrote:
Suppose someone visited your office or home and tried to make a voice
recording using a hidden recorder.

If they used a older-style dictation machine based on tape then you
could detect the electromagnetic transmissions from the dictation
machine when it was recording.

But how would you detect if someone was secretly recording with an MP3
player that recorded to flash memory?

Is there some transmission which could be detected?
Perhaps some low power ultra high frequency from chip refresh cycles?

WEll, you could just stick an antenna up next to the player
and see.
This is what a sandisk looks like playing mp3s.
Can you tell which trace is of the sandisk?
Reading the title is cheating...
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/nothin.jpg
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sandisk.jpg
mike
Old October 19th 06, 03:56 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Alexander Grigoriev

Can you also wrap sandisk in copper foil and do the same exercise?

"mike" wrote in message
newsdAZg.3099$3C6.2932@trnddc04...

Old October 19th 06, 08:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
mike

Alexander Grigoriev wrote:
Can you also wrap sandisk in copper foil and do the same exercise?

If you can't the see anything without the foil, why would you
expect a change with copper foil?

Now, if you wrappped all the radio/tv/pager/cellphones in copper foil...
mike

Old October 19th 06, 03:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Joey

On 14 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:01:47 +0100, Joey
wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:37:24 -0800, "Dana"
wrote:

[...]

It's not my issue to claim detection of different devices
proves detection of an MP3 player recording. Rather, it is
your burden to be specific with the claim that it's possible
by showing even one reproducible example.

We have no reason to believe a scenario like the OP has (too
vaguely) posed, would allow identification of a device as an
MP3 player that is recording. Identifying the existence of
"some" kind of device, then a search uncovering this device
and a physical examination to determine that it is recording
(looking at the screen or lights) is another matter.

I can clarify whatever you are unsure about if it helps.

The specific scenario should have been, needed to be
mentioned at the opening of the thread. Because it wasn't,
the time spent on the thread wasn't very productive and many
have lost interest.

Actually it is only for those who need extra info that I can provide
clarification. Most others here don't seem to have that need.
Old October 19th 06, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dana

wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:37:24 -0800, "Dana"
wrote:

[...]

[...]

There are devices you can use that will detect devices that may be used to
record your conversations. You will not be able to identify that it is an
mp3 player until after a physical search.
So by using this device that basically will tell you that the person has
some form of electronic device on them, be it a cell phone or mp3 player.
You can then use the knowledge of knowing they have this device to direct
what you say or do not say
You may want to spend a few bucks and talk with a local private investigator
about your concerns. He may also know where to obtain these type of
scanners.

Old October 19th 06, 08:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
kony

wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:37:24 -0800, "Dana"
wrote:

[...]

[...]

For your thread to have a productive outcome it needed to be
posted either in the opening post or soon thereafter. Even
now you are withholding this info so we have to assume you
don't really care. If for some reason you were overly
paranoid about something, you would merely leave out any
specifics that were identifying.

Old October 20th 06, 03:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc
[email protected]

wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006, kony wrote:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:37:24 -0800, "Dana"
wrote:

[...]

[...]

You've just been espionaged! (What a wonderful word!)

Anybody who's been following this thread, and understands the general
field, now has a pretty good idea of the state-of-the-art in
surreptitiously recording spy-vs-spy.

The initial conditions either weren't considered and were accidental,
or were tailored exactly to get this state-of-the-art summary.

The question is, WHO have you been espionaged by?

Industrial spies?
Terrorist spies?
Government spies?
Other categories of spies?
An author writing a techno thriller?
All of the above.

Who would want to know that kind of information?

(Just what seems to me an obvious paranoid possibility. It would be a
lot more fun than asking on the writer's help boards.)

Have a happy Halloween!