Why Pentium?

Old July 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Hester

Default Why Pentium?

"Mark Mandell" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than

Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why

do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely
most businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make
their purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

I own two PC's I put together myself, one with the Athlon 2600+, the other
with the Intel Pentium D dual core. The latter actually runs a bit
faster(even though both PC's have the WD SATA Raptor drives running at
10,000 RPM). But it also runs at a higher temp and after nine months was
beginning to overheat a bit. So I applied some thermal compound the other
day which has corrected the problem.

You know every time we installed a heat sink on IC chips, we ALWAYS used
thermal compound. It was a requirement. So you put that between the
heatsink and the processor?

--

George Hester
_________________________________

Old July 4th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Hester

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Bazzer Smith wrote:
"Talal Itani" wrote in message
Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is
the case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not
Athlon based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons
of a product before they make their purchases. Thank you for
clarifying this for me.

If you choose Pentiums you don't have to bother installing a central
heating system.

This was once the case. I always buy Intel, and I can tell you that the

last
dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
regardless of the ambient temperature).

John

Wow that is hot isn't it? That is where my machine is supposed to flip out.
I have the setting there. Can you tell me what it should never be more
than?

--

George Hester
_________________________________

Old July 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
kony

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:57:55 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:

dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
regardless of the ambient temperature).

John

Wow that is hot isn't it? That is where my machine is supposed to flip out.
I have the setting there. Can you tell me what it should never be more
than?

There is no need to set a shutdown temp of 50C.
The manufacturer or person setting it up merely forgot to
set a more appropriate temp. 70C would be better, but if
you want a machine-specific setting, run something that
loads it and checks for errors (like Prime95's Torture test)
and set the thresold temp below that which causes
instability, as you would not want the system producing
errors even if it weren't in jeopardy of permanent damage-
and it would then possibly indicate that a better heatsink
was useful in some situations.
Old July 4th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mxsmanic

kony writes:

There is no need to set a shutdown temp of 50C.
The manufacturer or person setting it up merely forgot to
set a more appropriate temp. 70C would be better, but if
you want a machine-specific setting, run something that
loads it and checks for errors (like Prime95's Torture test)
and set the thresold temp below that which causes
instability, as you would not want the system producing
errors even if it weren't in jeopardy of permanent damage-
and it would then possibly indicate that a better heatsink
was useful in some situations.

Wouldn't pushing the chip to the point of instability already be
running a substantial risk of damaging it?

Old July 4th 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Clint

Keep in mind who does the buying at most businesses. Not the user of the
computer, but the IT department. Their number one goal is typically keeping
the total cost of ownership down to a reasonable level. This means they
want standard equipment that's going to be supported. To them, that means a
Dell or HP box, which has (in the past) meant Intel processors. The initial
purchase price makes up a small portion of the TCO; it's the ongoing support
and maintenance that eats up a big chunk of it.

Also keep in mind that most computers at a job spend the bulk of their time
idling along, I'd guess at less than 50% CPU utilization. So having a
processor that's 10 or even 20% faster wouldn't be noticed or appreciated by
most business users.

That's my $0.02 worth. FWIW, I'd wait for the the Conroe processors to come
out at the end of this month, if you're not in a hurry and want a dual-core
CPU.

Clint

Old July 4th 06, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Mxsmanic

writes:

70C? No way. It probably takes at least 100C to actually damage the
silicon.

Then why would it become unstable at 70° C?

Old July 4th 06, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Steve

Hi there !

You mean you assembled the Intel Pentium WITHOUT thermal compound in
the first place ?????

Putting thermal compund on is one of the BASIC requirements when
assembling ... no wonder it ran HOT !!!!!!

One thing Intel do that AMD don't ... that is thermal protection .....
If a Intel processor gets hot it slows down...
If a AMD processor runs got ..... it BURNS OUT !

I know what I prefer ... as cooling fans on heatsinks, cases and
powers supplies DO sieze up !

Steve

Old July 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
David Maynard

Talal Itani wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than Pentium,
and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the case, why do
most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon based PCs? Surely most
businesses research the pros and cons of a product before they make their
purchases. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

T.I.

Well, it can get complicated because companies tend to buy pre-builts so
the builder's choices are a heavy influence but, of course, they try to
make choices the companies will buy.

However, the crux of it is that whatever criteria you (or the articles) use
to determine 'better' is not necessarily the most important criteria to
companies.

Companies want a stable, reliable, trouble free (as much as possible),
platform that performs the assigned tasks in a timely manner at the least
total cost.

To wit, 'faster' is not necessarily 'better', as long as it does the job in
a timely manner, and there's more to cost than just the initial purchase,
of which processor price differential is a minor component.

There are also similar considerations from the system builder's perspective.

For example, Intel makes compilers and chipsets in addition to just the
processor and you can build an entire system from Intel parts. So what?
Well, if you're a builder and have some integration problem there would be
one place to go to get it resolved vs the confusion that can arise from
multiple vendors each claiming the problem is someone else's. And that
costs money, which might be considered more significant than a nominal raw
processor cost differential.

Many companies use a similar line of reasoning in buying pre-builts. Cost
isn't just the 'cost of repair' because, presumably, the machine serves a
money making purpose, no matter how obliquely, and it isn't serving that
purpose when not working (which includes the stable/reliable/trouble free
points I mentioned earlier).

Old July 4th 06, 08:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Demnos

Recentl HP has dropped Intel Xeon'sa For AMD' Opertrons ( 280, 285, 290
Chipsets) in the Mid and high level server market. Also Oracle Data servers
come with AMD only.

"badgolferman" wrote in message
Talal Itani, 7/3/2006, 10:45:00 AM, M3aqg.1208$543.1165@trnddc04
wrote:

Hello,

I am in the market for a good computer, with a dual-core CPU. I keep
reading that Athlon is better than Pentium, Athlon is faster than
Pentium, and Athlon is lower priced than Pentium. But if that is the
case, why do most businesses have Pentium based PCs and not Athlon
based PCs? Surely most businesses research the pros and cons of a
product before they make their purchases. Thank you for clarifying
this for me.

T.I.

I believe most businesses purchase computers in lots. They buy the
exact same computer and configure it the same way. In order to buy
these kind of quantities they purchase their computers from computer
companies such as Dell or HP. Until these manufacturers drop the Intel
chips and move over to AMD-based computers you will continue to see
most large companies staying with Intel. It is really more of an
economic consideration than technical one for the buyer.

--
"Laws are like sausages. It is better not to see them being made." ~
Otto von Bismarck