Help! DSL modem is dead

Old October 23rd 07, 12:24 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Warren Oates

Default DSL connection solved, but a new issue (2wire 2701-hg)!

In article , Newbie
wrote:

The 5360 used to work with something called PPPoE. I had an icon in the
toolbar that showed if we were connected or not. From the drop down
menu I could ask to connect/disconnect.

With the 2wire, I had to uncheck PPPoE. Instead I had to select DHCP in
"TCP/IP" pane. Whatever all those letters mean. Of course, the PPoE
icon is useless. The Internet Connect window doesn't even show
Ethernet!

The 2wire is a router, it's negotiating the PPPoE connection with your
ISP and and then assigning an IP address via DHCP to your computer(s).
It possibly has a nice firewall built in, so security won't be a
problem, but you should Google for "2wire 2701-hg" (with the quotes if
you want); bring up an emulator and a manual and stuff. These companies
tend to keep this kind of thing onlne.

The information you used to get is now contained in the 2wire's config
screens. Google, as I said.
--
W. Oates
Old October 23rd 07, 01:54 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 04:37:01 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article ):

The 5360 used to work with something called PPPoE.

PPP = Point to Point Protocol
PPPoE = PPP over Ethernet
PPPoA = PPP over ATM
ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Method

Dial-up uses PPP. DSL uses either PPPoE or PPPoA. I have never seen a DSL
connection in the US which uses PPPoA, but it's common elsewhere.

I had an icon in the
toolbar that showed if we were connected or not. From the drop down
menu I could ask to connect/disconnect.

With the 2wire, I had to uncheck PPPoE.

If the modem is now controlling the connection, your Mac doesn't have to do
it, too. In fact, your Mac _can't_ do it. This is a Feature Not A Bug(tm).

Instead I had to select DHCP in
"TCP/IP" pane. Whatever all those letters mean.

DHCP = Dynamic Host Control Protocol
TCP = Transmission Control Protocol
IP = Internet Protocol

This means that your modem has a router (and, probably, a switch if it has
more than one Ethernet port) built in. The router is handling your local
network's connection to the Internet. That's its job. Again, this is a
Feature Not A Bug(tm).

Of course, the PPoE
icon is useless. The Internet Connect window doesn't even show
Ethernet!

So the connection is there and works, but I miss the information I had,
and control in connecting/disconnecting, which I did as safety feature
if I wasn't planning to use internet for a while.

Your modem is handing PPPoE now, so the info is on your modem's HTML page(s).
Usually those pages also allow you to control various aspects of the modem's
operation.

The tech said it is not a good idea to disconnect the modem, just leave
it on forever.

That's usually a good idea.

But that way I feel anxious about security. By
disconnecting and then connecting, the IP address changed, which people
had told me contributed to security.

You can have the modem disconnect after a given period of idleness.

However, as you're behind a router now, you can use NAT (Network Address
Translation, built into the router) to hide your private network. This gives
you security, in that someone on the outside knows what the IP of your WAN
(Wide Area Network) port is; that's the IP your ISP hands out, and is the IP
for your DSL connection. I suspect that this is 75.3.125.224, which anyone
can read off your usenet posts and your emails, and any web connections you
make. What they _don't_ know is what the IP of your computer is on your local
network, and without that they have a problem getting to your computer.
(Well, if you email them, they can find out what your IP was when you sent
that mail, if you didn't spoof it. And a typical home network would be a
Class C, with only 254 possible IPs, so it wouldn't be too hard to
brute-force things if they think that you have a Class C, even if you _did_
spoof your IP. On the other hand, you could set up a Class A private network
instead... 16.8 million possible IPs is a trifle many to search unless the
bad guys want _you_ specifically.)

Old October 23rd 07, 01:56 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
J.J. O'Shea

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 06:53:47 -0400, Newbie wrote
(in article ):

André Igler wrote:

PPPoE = Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, common for DSL
connections. Basically hooks up your modem to the ISP's network.

Fair enough but why did this work with 5360 and not with 2701-HG?

I suspect that the old unit didn't have a router, or if it did, that it
wasn't set up to handle PPPoE.

DHCP = Dynamic Host Control Protol, will run on a local/remote server
assigning you an IP # without having you fiddle with it. Also sets your
DNS (domain name system) server,

But wasn't the same happening with the 5360 and PPPoE?

Not necessarily. It depends on how the device was configured.

Guessing from what you /seem/ to know, you wouldn't want to bother any
forther, inasmuch as it seems to work now.

You may have a point there, but I'd like to get some idea.

Old October 23rd 07, 09:06 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Clever Monkey

Default DSL update

Newbie wrote:
G.T. wrote:

I would replace it if you can. I had a 5360 finally fail on me after
sporadic issues like the above.

What did you replace it by? ATT is using Siemens Speedstream 4100(?) as
standard dsl modem. Some post suggested they are going to move to
Motorola Netopia 2210 (?) but at least ATT online store has no mention
of it.

Honesty, it doesn't really matter. All the consumer-grade modems you
can buy will eventually fail. They are not meant for true 24/7
always-on use. At least not the models I've seen. Usually, it is some
discrete part that dries up or burns out.

Heat is the killer in this case, and if you can find a modem with an
actual metal backplane that aids in passive cooling, I would snap it up.
--
clvrmnky

Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
contact me directly.
Old October 25th 07, 05:29 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Newbie

Default Are lien-filters and cables generic or modem-specific?

One last clarification...

As I have mentioned in other posts my old dsl modem Speedstream 5360
died a few days ago and since then I have replaced it with the 2Wire
2701 router/modem.

The 5360 came with

(1) Power supply
(2) Phone line cable
(3) Ethernet cable to connect to the computer
(4) Line filters for other phones

Which of these accessories are specific to that modem (and thus must be
discarded with it) and which ones are generic (and thus can be save for
possible future use in other situations?)

I am assuming that the power supply is modem specific, phone cable and
line filters are generic, not sure of the ethernet cable. But I thought
I'd ask just to be sure. Thanks.
Old October 25th 07, 06:31 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

All are generic except the power supply.
If the power supply has a label specifying voltage and current output you could use it with some other device with similar power requirements.

Old October 25th 07, 08:30 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Tom Stiller

In article ,
Mike Walsh wrote:

All are generic except the power supply.
If the power supply has a label specifying voltage and current output you
could use it with some other device with similar power requirements.

Don't forget to check the polarity of the DC connector.

Newbie wrote:

One last clarification...

As I have mentioned in other posts my old dsl modem Speedstream 5360
died a few days ago and since then I have replaced it with the 2Wire
2701 router/modem.

The 5360 came with

(1) Power supply
(2) Phone line cable
(3) Ethernet cable to connect to the computer
(4) Line filters for other phones

Which of these accessories are specific to that modem (and thus must be
discarded with it) and which ones are generic (and thus can be save for
possible future use in other situations?)

I am assuming that the power supply is modem specific, phone cable and
line filters are generic, not sure of the ethernet cable. But I thought
I'd ask just to be sure. Thanks.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF