NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP

Old January 3rd 04, 10:42 PM
Whelan

I'm looking at Advanced TCP/IP Settings.
There is nothing under DNS server addresses.

In the middle section (on both computers),
*there's a green selection dot in "Append primary and connection specific
DNS suffixes" and the sub-box "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS
suffix" is checked. I can uncheck the box but can only clear the "Append
primary ..." if I choose instead
"Append these DNS suffixes (in order)"

Now, here's a difference at the bottom!
There's a box "Register this connection's addresses in DNS." That box is
checked on the Dell but not on the Compaq.
? Could this be it?

Under WINS,
At bottom, both computers have "Default" chosen for NetBIOS setting.
In middle, the Dell has checked "Enable LMHOSTS lookup." The Compaq doesn't
now (don't remember if I unchecked that box 10 min ago or if it was already
unchecked).
Nan
"Angus Macleod" wrote in message
Your ping results identify where your problem probably lies - name
resolution. It seems that the Compaq can't convert the machine name to an

IP
address. My guess is that the Compaq is trying to use an inappropriate DNS
server (one that it used on campus perhaps, rather than the one provided

by
the router).

You should check the properties of the Local Area Connection. On the

General
tab highlight the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry and click on the
Properties button. It should show that the IP address and DNS server
addresses are obtained automatically. Click on the Advanced button to open
the Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog. On the DNS tab there should be no
entries - remove any that may be there. Similarly, remove any entries from
the WINS tab.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
From the Compaq
I tried the Search: nothing
I tried Ping with different case variations of the name: nothing.
BUT ... finally, when I pinged the IP address, 192.168.2.56 ,
that worked ... there and back in 1ms.
(they are only 5' apart now!)

What do these results mean?

Should I change an IP address or redo the workgroup names on all of

them?
Nan

"Angus Macleod" wrote in

message
To search for another computer on the network, click on Start/Search,

select
"Computer or People", then "A computer on the network", enter it's

name
(e.g. granite) and click on the Search button. If it finds the

computer,
right click on it and select Open to see the shares.

To ping a computer determines if it can be accessed at a more

fundamental
level. To do this click on Start/Run and enter "cmd" (without the

quotes)
in
the field and click on OK. A command window will open. At the prompt

type
in
"ping computername" and press Enter. The machine will resolve the

name
into
the IP address and make 4 attempts to reach the target machine and

tell
how
long the round trip took (or report an error if it could not be

found).
If
it does not work, you may also want to try pinging the IP address of

the
remote machine directly.

I don't think using the Dell CD on the Compaq would hurt - although

you
might be violating the license.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
Thanks. I'll try un-installing the Verizon and other things from the
Compaq.
(After doing some PrintSceens to a doc in case he needs the info to

get
the
Dell working in LA.)

I'm feeling skeptical of the CAPS issue too. I typed it in CAPS on

each
machine and rebooted many times; the Compaq just ignores that and

displays
the name in title case.

I don't think I can Search and Ping ... but I'm not really sure how

try.
I'll bring the Compaq into this room with a 10' cable today. And

maybe
plug
in its D-Link wireless card too.

"Angus Macleod" wrote in

message
In defense of Belkin, I have installed two of their wireless

routers
in
the
past few weeks, and found them to be well made, easy to set up and
reliable
in use. Linksys is the yardstick by which I measure such things,

and
rank
Belkin and SMC as better than Linksys, Netgear as the same and

D-Link
as
poorer than Linksys - based on my personal experiences. Also, the

Belkin
desktop wireless cards seem to have better range than Linksys.

Concerning your Compaq, I would uninstall the Verizon DSL

software -
it
may
well include it's own firewall functionality. I would also remove

all
the
unwanted connections. Given that you know how to do it, it might

be
best
reinstall XP Pro - that will also avoid any other legacies from

the
machine's college experience.

I think the upper/lower case issue is a red herring on a WinXp Pro
machine.
Can you find the other machines by using Search? Can you ping

them?

Angus..

"Whelan" wrote in message
I appreciate your experience with networking equipment.

It is too late to return the Belkin; it was one of those Day

After
Thanksgiving specials. I'll just wait for the rebate and then

maybe
decide
it was a $15 loss.

My husband was ready to pay someone to put cables through the

ceiling
and
walls. I thought WiFi would be cleaner cheaper and more

convenient.
IF
it
worked!
(TIME magazine made it sound so easy in November!)

At Andrew's apt, in Sept, they bought a D-Link Wireless Router

(G).
And
D-Link AirPlus ExtremeG Wireless Cardbus Adaptor DWL-G650, which
worked
in
the Compaq for DSL. (No reason to share files with roommates!)

We ordered DELL's TruMobile 1300WLAN 802.11b/g miniPCI card,

built-in
as
part of the Dell Inspiron 8500 purchase. It was an extra cost.

We
were
assuming that will work with the D-Link router in the apt. Guess

he'll
find
out next week. (It sure doesn't notice the Belkin wireless

router
except
now when connected by cable.)
Nan

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

message
I've never used a Belkin wireless router. My only interaction

with
Belkin
routers has been that I replaced a 4-port one with a Linksys
wireless
router
with 4 ports. In the past, Belkin has achieved something of a

name
in
cables
and simple devices like keyboards and USB hubs. Frankly, I

don't
have
great
faith in their networking.

I have always used and installed (for clients) Linksys

routers,
wired
and
wireless, ever since I had a very positive experience with the

first
one
which I
installed here. And their install software has only gotten

easier
use,
except for certain DSLconnections (e.g. Verizon). Netgear

also
has
respectable track record in networks.

If the Belkin keeps dropping the connection, it is not worth

even
the
$10
net
you'll have spent if and when you ever get back the rebate.

If
that's
what it
is now doing, it will undoubtedly continue to do so, unless

maybe
Belkin
has a
firmware update to fix the problem.

I have almost always used Orinoco Gold business class (i.e.

more
expensive
but
worth it) wireless cards in notebooks and long-distance wired
desktops,
with
100% success and cilent satisfaction.

I'm trying to convince you to dump the Belkin (altho I can't
directly
link
it to
the problems you are having), if you can still get your money

back
where
you
bought it. There are inexpensive components and cheap ones.

The
cheap
ones are
not worth the time or the money... Ben Myers

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:12:44 GMT, "Whelan"

wrote:

Thanks, Ben.
Yes, the CAPS problem is a mystery.

This morning I remembered having seen an option, a checkbox,

under
Tools,
Folder Options, to allow filenames in uppercase. Could it be

that
simple?
No, I couldn't find it, so maybe I've just seen that option

in
98.

I browsed around REGEDIT but didn't discover where workgroup

names
were
listed. There are hundreds, maybe a thousand, entries there!

I have no idea what's involved in getting Wireless working. I
assume
we'll
just be tapping into the existing network.

But I do hope to make wireless work for the XP laptops.

That's
the
only
reason I replaced the good reliable Netgear router with this

crummy
Belkin
router that sputters and briefly drops it connection all day

long.
If
wasn't getting a $70 rebate on the $80 cost of the Belkin,

I'd
have
returned
it in disgust.
Nan

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

message
Yes, ALL CAPS eliminates the differences in how the

workgroup
names
are
handled
by the various species of Windows. Gee, you'd think there

would
be
some
consistency here.

Look at the Internet Options in Control Panel, the

Connections
tab,
be
specific. Make sure that the radio button "Never Dial a
Connection"
is
set.
This should keep Verizon from popping up.

You may have to change the workgroup name in the Compaq to

all
caps
using
REGEDIT, unless someone else can come up with a better

idea...
Ben
Myers

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:26:30 GMT, "Whelan"

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make the

name,
password, and workgroup name the same everywhere and in

CAPITAL
letters.
And
I have disabled Norton Internet Security everywhere.

As of 3am, the new Dell 8500 laptop (when connected by

cable)
and
the
old
Gateway laptop and the Dell 4500 could see each other's

shared
folders
and
the printer.

But the COMPAQ is still a big problem. It cannot see

anything
but
the
workgroup name and its own shared folders. It displays the
workgroup
name
in
mixed case, not capitals.
Thinking no CAPS was the problem, I changed the workgroup

name,
added
new
workgroup, rebooting
more than 20 times, for 1½ hours. The workgroup always

reappears
without
CAPs.

After every change and reboot, the Compaq opens with a

Dialup
Connection
dialogue box, listing Verizon DSL but wanting to dial.

There
is
no
cable
in
the modem jack and nothing in the startup menu to explain

it.

Other odd things about the Compaq:
Under Network Connections, it lists many things, leftover

from
my
son's
college apt.
*Under Broadband heading is:
Verizon DSL, Disconnected, WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
(There's a wireless PCMIA card somewhere, but a usb2 card

is
currently
in
the slot.)
*Under Dial-up, there are 4 listings, for travel (all
Disconnected)
*Under LAN or High-Speed Internet:
Whelan LAN, Enabled, Intel Pro/100 S Mobile LAN on

Motherboard
(that's
the
one I am plugged into and reading Properties for).

BTW, the Compaq was my son's ... but he will return to

college
next
week
with the new DELL 8500, leaving the Compaq behind for me.

I'd actually like to use it wireless, if that worked.

Tired
of
stepping
over
the 50' blue cable! But I've never used anything wireless

or
seen
wireless
working.
And the wireless in the Dell 8500 (an extra cost item)

hasn't
worked
yet.
That will be the next problem to solve.
Nan

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in
message
And after changing the workgroup name, prepare yourself

for
yet
another
reboot
for the new workgroup name to become effective... Ben

Myers

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:42:46 GMT, "Angus Macleod"
wrote:

To change the computer or workgroup names on Win98,

right
click
on
Network
Neighborhood and select properties. The Identification

tab
allows
you
change the names.

Angus.

Old January 4th 04, 03:26 PM
Angus Macleod

It would do no hard to do these things on all the machines, but it is only
the Compaq that has the problem, so I would not meddle with the others
unnecessarily. Can the Dell successfully ping by name and ping by address?

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
Thanks, Angus. I'm going to try these things.
*I'm assuming these are mostly things I am checking on the Compaq, right?

*Unless I try changing workgroup name again, are these comparisons I can
make using only this Dell 4500 and the Compaq (instead of all 4 at once)?

have these two about 4 ' apart now, using one chair.
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make

Old January 4th 04, 03:58 PM
Angus Macleod

On the DNS tab "Append primary and connection specific..." is the correct
entry to select, the "Append parent..." should be checked and "Register this
connection..." should be checked. (although these settings probably do not
affect anything in your environment).

On the WINS tab it is irrelevant whether you enable LMHOSTS lookup, and you
should select the default NetBIOS setting.

If none of this helps, then I would go back to my earlier suggestion of
installing WinXP Pro again - at least you know what you're dealing with
then.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make

Old January 4th 04, 06:39 PM
PC-Gladiator

Something to check...

Goto Windows Explorer--Tools--Folder Options--View tab.
If you scroll all the way down in the window, the last option is
"Use Simple File Sharing (recommended)". Is it checked?

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

installed here. And ther install software has only gotten

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make

Old January 4th 04, 09:46 PM
Whelan

Yes, the two Dells can ping each other by name (even under a different
Login).
The Compaq can only ping and be pinged using IP address (192.168.2.99).
newsoVJb.729978$HS4.5466507@attbi_s01...

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make

Old January 4th 04, 10:14 PM
Whelan

Thanks, Angus and PCGladiator. All these settings are correct and the same
on both computers.
Maybe it's time to just give up!

Although it does seem odd that the Compaq can ping by IP address but not by
name. So I think I will try changing the Workgroup name one last time, to
something I haven't used before. It that doesn't magically solve it, I'll
give up.

Re reinstalling XPPro, ... Do I need to totally reformat the harddrive, etc
and reinstall all applications? Or is it worth trying to just reinstall
Windows XP?

And ... Is it possible that I could get Wireless networking set up on the
Compaq, even if I can't do wired?

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to make

Old January 4th 04, 11:52 PM
Angus Macleod

I would advise reformatting and reinstalling. That way you know exactly what
you have got - no surprises. Until you get wired networking to work, I
wouldn't even try making wireless work - there are too many possibilities
for things to go wrong.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to

make

Old January 5th 04, 01:21 AM
Whelan

Thanks so much for your advice. I'll wait a week or so before reformatting.

We should probably focus on getting the Wireless to work on the new Dell
8500 now. He'll return to School Tues or Wed, and I hate to leave him to
contact Dell alone (IF it is a real problem).
I haven't read every paragraph in the Belkin guide, so maybe there's an
answer in there. (Stupid me, believing TIME magazine that it was simple!)

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful to

Old January 5th 04, 02:38 PM
Angus Macleod

It can be very simple. Often, you just connect up everything and it just
works. However, you don't want to run with the default settings because your
wireless network (and the data on your machines) is open to anyone nearby.
And if things don't go smoothly, then it can get quite difficult.

Once you have a basic wireless connection working you should enable WPA or,
if your router does not support WPA, then WEP. Once you have this working,
change the router setting so that is does not broadcast the SSID (the
network name).

None of this keeps out determined hackers, but it is better than leaving
everything defaulted where anyone else can connect, even by accident.

Angus.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful

Old January 5th 04, 08:12 PM
Whelan

Thanks. Those terms will probably make more sense to me after I have read
the Belkin book or other articles.
I sure hope to understand this all much better soon.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

From the Compaq

,

wrote:

I have rebooted at least 50 times.

From what I read in this thread, I was careful

Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 04:47 PM
Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE) Cerridwen General 6 February 29th 04 03:13 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP Chopperdad Dell Computers 77 January 5th 04 08:12 PM
Networking 98SE & XP T.R. Gateway Computers 17 December 17th 03 10:21 PM
NETWORKING PRINTER ON WINDOWS 98SE & XP Chopperdad Gateway Computers 2 December 17th 03 03:28 PM