New mobo

Old April 1st 17, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Conclusion

On 03/31/2017 11:00 PM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
Win7 is now all up and running fine and I've given the machine a good
test...works great.

Could not get USB working so just spent $15 for a USB-3 card

Final cost was about $200, half of which was for the 16gigs of RAM

Back in the old days I could "steal" drivers for Win2k from an XP
machine but I could not use the win10 drivers for USB in the win7
machine.

You could go over to the Community forum at Intel and
whine about it. But I don't think anyone there cares
about your predicament. The Executives-With-The-Starched-Shirt-Collars
don't care.

*******

I'm really surprised you couldn't get a USB2 EHCI driver
working. The Microsoft one should work. Normally the
Intel USB2 INF would "INCLUDE" the Microsoft driver INF.
Since EHCI is designed to standards, that should have worked.
The tool for the job there would be Notepad :-)

You would find a sample INF inside a INFINST download from
downloadcenter.intel.com .

Another possibility, would be to see if an Intel NUC has
been built with your processor. Then scope out the download
page for the NUC and see what they've got. If Intel builds
a NUC, probably only the USB3 connectors are on the outside.

A NUC based on J3455.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/sea...yword=NUC6CAYH

INFINST for the NUC in question. 3MB.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...-for-Intel-NUC

Now, don't get too excited. The driver isn't here.

1) Extract mup.xml and setupchipset.exe from the ZIP.
2) In a command prompt window

cd /d F:\path\to\two\files

md F:\temp # make a dump for the files

setupchipset.exe -extract F:\temp # Extract them. Requires Win7+

There are six INF files with USB in the contents.
They have VID and PID values which would need to
match in order to trigger. It looks like, basically,
no newer processors got drivers. You would need the
VID and PID from your J3455, to check through the
files and see what is possible.

Since these things are designed to standards, I don't
see why the driver for the C216 wouldn't work.

In one of the files, I find this VID PID. I did a search
on these and the word driver.

8086 9CB1

That got me here.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...Chipset-Family

The difference in this case, is the INF matches on "class"
and not VID PID. (This link probably won't work without
clicking on the Accept License link.)

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/228... _4.0.6.60.zip

iusb3hub.inf

%IUsb3HubDeviceDesc01% = IUsb3HubModel, IUSB3\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_00&PROT_01

So the hub part is generic.
The XHCI logic block looks like it might be more trouble.
As it triggers off VEN/DEV. And you'd need to check the
VEN/DEV on your Apollo Lake/Goldmont. I just remembered
I got that 9CB1 thing above, and Bingo!

iusb3xhc.inf

%IUsb3XhcDeviceDesc01% = IUsb3XhcModel, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1&REV_00
%IUsb3XhcDeviceDesc01% = IUsb3XhcModel, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1&REV_01
%IUsb3XhcDeviceDesc01% = IUsb3XhcModel, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1&REV_02
%IUsb3XhcDeviceDesc01% = IUsb3XhcModel, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9CB1&REV_03

Anyway, I cannot predict the outcome, but this is what scrounging
for Win7 drivers looks like.

Paul

First I took the win10 drivers .sys and .inf and used them to install
in win7

Got them installed, but with error

then tried the Intel Win7 drivers and renamed the .inf file to match the
name the device was looking for...again got it installed but with error

I suppose I could try editing the .inf files but decided to just spend
the $15 and get a USB-3 card.

Since the machine had two USB-2 ports and two USB-3 ports
I will be better off with the card anyway as it has four USB-3 ports.

Plus because the machine has ps-2 for mouse and kb
all four USB ports will be available.