bluetooth USB adapter for Inspiron 1545 running Ubuntu 14.04?

Old March 31st 17, 02:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

Default bluetooth USB adapter for Inspiron 1545 running Ubuntu 14.04?

I'd like to use a cheap, wireless bluetooth speaker close to where I use
my laptop and I would appreciate recommendations for a cheap USB
bluetooth adapter that would work. I'm in the US. The only somewhat
useful data I've come across so far was he
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...othUsbAdapters
however only one actual adapter is listed for Ubuntu 14.04 and it runs
like $50 US, way more than I care to spend! Other adapters there work
fine for earlier versions, but that doesn't mean they'll work with
14.04. Unfortunately, although some 1545's came with already built in
bluetooth cards, mine wasn't one so no go there. Thanks in advance.
Old March 31st 17, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
I'd like to use a cheap, wireless bluetooth speaker close to where I use
my laptop and I would appreciate recommendations for a cheap USB
bluetooth adapter that would work. I'm in the US. The only somewhat
useful data I've come across so far was he
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...othUsbAdapters
however only one actual adapter is listed for Ubuntu 14.04 and it runs
like $50 US, way more than I care to spend! Other adapters there work
fine for earlier versions, but that doesn't mean they'll work with
14.04. Unfortunately, although some 1545's came with already built in
bluetooth cards, mine wasn't one so no go there. Thanks in advance.

One thing you have to remember about hardware manufacturers, is
they're inherently dishonest.

http://www.speedlink.com/?p=2&cat=28...47434efedcbbd3

If "Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd" is not mentioned
but "Realtek RTL8723" ...

That means the adapter does not have a constant composition
with time, and all the adapters are considered "interchangeable".
This is important, if you have the idea that somehow BlueZ
only works with a CSR radio.

When Startech makes product, they always mention the chip number
used on their website, so at least you have a chance of getting
a "certain chip" when you buy.

*******

Why not grab the GBU521W6 for $11 and if it doesn't work,
throw it away ? That one is at my computer store right now,
so a ten minute drive I could have one. No need to pay shipping.
I could drive my bicycle to save gas. Etc.

Of more concern is range. I bought a pair of throwaway BT
plugs, and they worked together at maybe six feet or so. I
set up a piconet and managed to squeeze through a few packets
in a network test. They've sat in my hunk room ever since...
for some reason. My interest in Bluetooth has declined
significantly for some reason.

Note that active USB3 cabling emits at 2.4GHz, and can interfere
with other radio devices. While Bluetooth has frequency hopping
(to prevent interference in a single bin from knocking out
communications), the USB3 noise is spread broadly from
0 to 5GHz. A 5GHz Wifi is not affected by USB3. But 2.4GHz
Wifi or 2.4GHz Bluetooth, could be. If a device operates
in only USB2 mode (plug USB2 peripheral into USB3 port),
then there should not be any important RF from that.
USB2 spectrum, if it exists, doesn't interfere with
computer activities.

I would only consider tech like this if.

1) I want to run a Bluetooth headset while sitting in front of my laptop.
2) I don't care if it stops working if I leave the room to get a snack,
leaving the laptop on my table.

There are three classes of BT in terms of range. But if you
check the reviews on the "long range" flavor adapters on
the Newegg.com comment section, you'll find the comments
a bit discouraging. Nothing that uses RF, comes with a
guarantee. In fact, if you dropped down to your local
landfill site, there's probably a small mountain of
Bluetooth nano adapters there :-)

While you're on the Newegg.com site, also check the
reviewer comments for "thermal issues". Some adapters
(for whatever reason), run extremely hot, when they
really should not do that. When you first get the
adapter, use the "fingers" test to make sure you have
not received such a unit. Mine didn't get hot, but then,
mine also didn't perform worth a darn (range, unusable).

Have fun (and consider the experiment a throw-away...).
My experiment had the *expected* outcome. I was prepared
to be shocked, if it worked well.

Paul
Old March 31st 17, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

On 03/31/2017 10:33 AM, Paul wrote:
R2D4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The only issue for me is that the closest computer store is 35
mi away, so a special trip unless I had to buy rare groceries which I do
from time to time. I think I'm just going to forego on the bluetooth
idea.

The problem is really my Inspiron 1545. It has an audio issue I've
never been able to solve. The audio will come out of the speakers just
fine after boot up, but if I move the laptop in a certain way or bump it
slightly, audio cuts out. If I then reboot, it's back. Sometimes, I'll
move the laptop to the other table to go get something to drink and I'll
hear the characteristic "pop" I'll sometimes hear and I know that I'll
have to reboot to get audio back. When this happens, no audio on
speakers or headphones. A week ago, I picked up a cheap USB dongle with
audio out and mic in. This works fine even when the audio from the
laptop speakers goes out, but I don't like the adapter sticking out of
the USB as far as it does, plus the headphones cord. I've considered
opening up the laptop, but it looks like quite a lot needs done just to
reach the speakers and without the battery in place, I wouldn't be able
to test anyhow.
Old March 31st 17, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
.[_6_]

On 3/31/2017 8:53 AM, R2D4 wrote:
I'd like to use a cheap, wireless bluetooth speaker close to where I use
my laptop and I would appreciate recommendations for a cheap USB
bluetooth adapter that would work. I'm in the US. The only somewhat
useful data I've come across so far was he
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...othUsbAdapters
however only one actual adapter is listed for Ubuntu 14.04 and it runs
like $50 US, way more than I care to spend! Other adapters there work
fine for earlier versions, but that doesn't mean they'll work with
14.04. Unfortunately, although some 1545's came with already built in
bluetooth cards, mine wasn't one so no go there. Thanks in advance.

http://www.dx.com/s/USB%2bbluetooth%...r?PriceSort=up

Free shipping with delivery about 3 weeks if in the USA.