alternative to Verizon FIOS G-1100 router?

Old March 9th 17, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

Default alternative to Verizon FIOS G-1100 router?

After having DSL for many years, Verizon installed the 50/50 double play
FIOS yesterday (I got Internet and phone only, no tv nor plan to anytime
soon). They also provided the Fios G1100 router, but I'd prefer to use
my own. I currently had a Netgear N300 left over from another use and I
have substituted it in place of their router, but the WiFi speed I'm
getting is only about half of that from the G1100. Can anyone suggest a
suitable replacement that would allow the same speed as the G1100 and is
not too costly? Thank you.
Old March 9th 17, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
After having DSL for many years, Verizon installed the 50/50 double play
FIOS yesterday (I got Internet and phone only, no tv nor plan to anytime
soon). They also provided the Fios G1100 router, but I'd prefer to use
my own. I currently had a Netgear N300 left over from another use and I
have substituted it in place of their router, but the WiFi speed I'm
getting is only about half of that from the G1100. Can anyone suggest a
suitable replacement that would allow the same speed as the G1100 and is
not too costly? Thank you.

If you're trying to beat the rental fee, you can buy the
G1100 outright.

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-FiOS-.../dp/B0145REEA0

Looking at reviews on Newegg for gadgets like that, some people give
these 802.11AC routers a 1 star rating, others are OK, so it looks like
there's a lot of crap out there. The 2.4GHz has more penetrating power,
so will cover the whole house. the 5GHz less so. You would expect the
"good" transfer rate, when the router is in the same room.

One benefit of some of the other brands, is external antennas for you
to play with.

And from a styling point of view, some of the companies think they;'re
doing a remake of "Alien" :-)

https://images10.newegg.com/ProductI...pg?w=660&h=500

https://images10.newegg.com/ProductI...pg?w=660&h=500

One different you should see on the ISP-branded equipment, is "lame"
setup interfaces. That's something to check out when looking at
the competition. For example, the ADSL modem/router I bought outright
for my service, I turn the router portion off because the web interface
sucks. And I'm relying on another box for routing now. My VOIP box has
the routing function, and I already had a GbE switch to work with. So
I cobbled together a solution out of bits and pieces. Only downside
is 17W power consumption (measured) for my "total solution".

Paul
Old March 9th 17, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

On 03/09/2017 02:20 PM, Paul wrote:
R2D4 wrote:
[...]

To tell you the truth, the reason why I want to gravitate away from the
Verizon provided router is because I don't trust any "relationship" it
might have with them (i.e. unauthorized access and so forth). At least
with my Netgear, albeit much slower, I know how I have it configured
from the get go. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid though, not sure. They
haven't charged me anything for the router so far, but there may be a
monthly fee, not sure. I'd definitely use it if not for the security
risk factor as it does seem to be at least twice as fast as the Netgear.
Old March 10th 17, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
[...]

DSLReports has a FAQ section for FIOS.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16622

And yes, there is some sort of access from the Verizon side.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-I...00/td-p/798199

Some rental internet devices, they "pull" config data or
firmware. The devices in that case, have two URLs in the
web setup, and every time the device boots up, it will
reach out and check the version of config or firmware
offered. So that's a kind of client pull.

If Verizon is actively updating the router firmware,
they could do it via a "server push", and there would
need to be some protocol in place on WAN port 4567 to
prevent hacking from the Internet. Perhaps Verizon
simply blocks any other third party from sending to
port 4567 on that link ?

I don't know if them being able to "view" your G1100 password,
is so they can tell you what password to use if you "forgot".
Or if they have the password, so they can actually log
in remotely. I've been searching on WAN side access,
to see if there is password access to the router. For
tech support purposes, if a noob has fooled with the
router, they may need to gain access and do a "reset to
factory", as a quick means to fix something without
spending a lot of time on the phone. The DSLreports
FAQ page, indicates the customer could use any number
of rewiring solutions, that would be very hard to figure
out remotely :-)

So it looks like, yes, in a quick search, you would
be better off with your own router.

My first broadband Internet account, it was a good
thing they had firmware push on the ADSL modem, because
the modem already had known exploits discovered by
some university. So on first connect, the first thing
it would do is a firmware update, to patch the holes.
And in the case of their Alcatel equipment choice, that
was a good thing. The modem was excellent otherwise - I
never had to reboot the thing for any reason. It
just worked. My home router on the other hand... Ugh.

Paul
Old March 10th 17, 04:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

R2D4 wrote:
[...]

So, would you happen to have any recommendations for an equivalent
router? I'm surprised this $24 Netgear N300 is working as well as it
is... about half as fast as the Verizon supplied router. I could just
keep this configuration for a while and just use the other router when I
don't feel like waiting double or more time for a big download. I was
thinking Netgear N600 as a next step, but not certain. I don't really
want to spend much and I'm only planning on having phone and net through
them, no TV.
Old March 10th 17, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

R2D4 wrote:
[...]

https://www.cnet.com/topics/networki...devices/cheap/

I don't use any of these, I'm sticking with my Asus RT-AC68U as a good
reasonably-priced alternative, but this article plus a simple Google search
should certainly turn up something better -- the porcine character of the
N300 have been discussed for years and a number of 'fixes' for its slow
performance problems have been suggested but never seem to quite work out.
Old March 10th 17, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
[...]

One of the steps for me, would be reviewing the client computer
capabilities. Are they 802.11N ? 802.11AC ? 2.4GHz, 5GHz, both ?

There's no point buying something which isn't going to help.
The money has to go into the right standard (or alternately,
you need to look at both the router and a client upgrade
at the same time).

Paul