Fan grills = greater air flow?

Old September 14th 03, 12:36 PM
Anton G˙sen

Default Fan grills = greater air flow?

Does putting finger guards on your fans get more air flowing into the
fan? It sounds mad to be but according to the website of a very
knowledgable fan seller it does.

Thanks in advance,

Anton

Old September 14th 03, 12:48 PM
BigBadger

No it does not...who claims it does??

"Anton G˙sen" wrote in
message ...

Old September 14th 03, 01:59 PM
HamMan

"Anton G˙sen" wrote in
message ...
Does putting finger guards on your fans get more air flowing into the
fan? It sounds mad to be but according to the website of a very
knowledgable fan seller it does.

Thanks in advance,

Anton

Stops your cables and fingers getting mashed up though.

Sure it wasnt a 6cm 8cm adapter for a small CPU heatsink?

Old September 14th 03, 03:35 PM
BigBadger

I think you will find the retailer was claiming a certain finger guard gave
better airflow 'compared to a standard guard'...not compared to no guard at
all.

"Anton G˙sen" wrote in
message ...

Old September 14th 03, 05:14 PM
Overlord

No, it doesn't. It keeps fingers from flowing into the fan.
Getting a hole drill and drilling out the little fan vent holes thru
the case where the fan is mounted, into one big 3 inch hole,
reinstalling the fan, and then putting the wire finger guards over the
hole gives you far more air flow without finger flow.
But the way you are wording it, no. Putting Any guard or Anything on
the fan will restrict the air flow more than it is restricted now.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:36:02 +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=
wrote:

Does putting finger guards on your fans get more air flowing into the
fan? It sounds mad to be but according to the website of a very
knowledgable fan seller it does.

Thanks in advance,

Anton

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Old September 16th 03, 07:28 PM

Old September 16th 03, 09:55 PM
Anton G˙sen

OK folks, there was a mix-up!

By misreading the advert I didn't realise that the claims of increased
air flow were in comparison to having cases with holes punched in them
(you know how they do). I e-mailed the seller and she said....

[START OF COPY AND PASTE]

o They don't increase beyond the spec of a fan
o They recovery lost airflow from impedance of case grills

Case fans either suck or blow through a grill.
Cases frequently use a punched grill - either slots or holes.
o Holes are worst - 55% is solid-metal (no airflow)
o Slots are stilll poor - 45% is a solid-metal (no airflow

In comparison, a round-wire grill is 9-11% solid-metal, so the
fan gets closer to it's free-air-spec cfm when fitted into the case.

Additionally by using round-wire there are no sharp edges for
air to tumble over and create noise - so airflow noise drops too.

With an 80mm fan, having a punched-hole grill is effective halving
the exit airflow c/sectional area - a major impediment to airflow cfm.

[END OF COPY AND PASTE]

So all in all it's my fault for being an idiot and not reading the
advert. Sorry for wasting y'all's time.

Anton

Old September 17th 03, 03:45 AM
R_Supp

"Anton G˙sen" wrote in
message ...
[...]

This morning I removed the 2X80mm exhaust fans in the rear of my Nokia case
and with the aid of my trusty hand operated "nibbler", cut out the 2 sets of
"holes" you find in the backs of most cases. This gave me roughly 2x80mm
holes. I had already bought a couple of chrome, round wire grills so I
installed the 2 fans covered by their grills and turned it on.
The results were very good. CPU and mobo temps dropped and where the exhaust
air from the PSU used to be quite warm, you now have to hold your hand there
for a while to detect slight warmth.
I had already opened the small hole under the front of the computer so I
guess my case is now breathing properly.

Old September 17th 03, 07:24 PM
Anton G˙sen

This morning I removed the 2X80mm exhaust fans in the rear of my Nokia case
and with the aid of my trusty hand operated "nibbler", cut out the 2 sets of
"holes" you find in the backs of most cases. This gave me roughly 2x80mm
holes. I had already bought a couple of chrome, round wire grills so I
installed the 2 fans covered by their grills and turned it on.
The results were very good. CPU and mobo temps dropped and where the exhaust
air from the PSU used to be quite warm, you now have to hold your hand there
for a while to detect slight warmth.
I had already opened the small hole under the front of the computer so I
guess my case is now breathing properly.

Er... call me an idiot but what's a nibbler? And where can I get one?

Anton

Old September 18th 03, 12:38 AM
dorothy.bradbury

Er... call me an idiot but what's a nibbler? And where can I get one?

Local hardware stores, or often better trade automotive tool suppliers
sell them - they are a simple hand operated sheet metal "nibbler".

Imagine a paper hole-punch which you move along to cut sheet metal.
That's not quite how they work, but it's enough of an analogy.

They come in varying quality - you need not go mad for 1-2 holes.

If you don't feel like a battle with your PC, but want the airflow benefit,
then use them on your intake - they are often the most restrictive areas.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...ry/panaflo.htm (Free 1st-Class

Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Delta Focussed Flow Fans - EHE SHE?? Wayne Youngman Overclocking 2 July 17th 03 03:47 AM