Splice-like gaps between tracks w/Roxio ECDC

Old December 8th 03, 04:44 PM
Mr. Mike

Default Splice-like gaps between tracks w/Roxio ECDC

I have the Roxio CD Creator Platinum 6 (upgraded with updates from their WWW
site to the latest version, 6.2 or whatever) and am trying to make a dub of a
concert. Using the program's Sound Editor, I have broken this large WAV file up
into individual tracks so when I play it, I can jump to specific songs.

Whenever I play this back with RCDC prior to dubbing to CD, or after I do dub it
to CD, there is a very tiny "gap" between the tracks, almost like a splice. I
have the "transitions" set to zero between all tracks in this program so there
will be no normal two-second gaps between each selection.

I have experimented using a movement from some classical piece of music which
has multiple tracks within the movement and found that these "splices" happen
when I try to dub that too (these files were saved as WAV files using the MS
Windows Media Player).

This problem is driving me nuts, especially since I had it once before, except I
can't remember what the solution was.

Is it something to do with the way the files (MP3 or WAV) are saved? Is there
some setting in Windows itself or in Windows Media Player that has to be
configured for them to play back correctly?

If you look at the files with a program like Goldwave and increase the
magnification to some massive amount, there is NO gap (i.e., a loss of sound) at
the beginning or end of the tracks where they join.

Old December 8th 03, 05:01 PM
XPG

You have to use professional burning programs to do what you want.
Roxio, Nero and other mainstream programs can't do that.

Feurio is almost free and supports what you're looking for.
Check if your drive is supported:
http://www.feurio.com/English/cd_writer.shtml

You only have to choose "Do not insert pauses between tracks -round track
markers" in the Settings of the project.
The "Minimal pauses" options is what Roxio does.

Is it something to do with the way the files (MP3 or WAV) are saved?

Yes, the size of the WAV files should be a multiple of a CD-DA sector (588
samples).
CD-Wave can break the track in the sector boundaries, but the
non-destructive Track Editor in Feurio is more comfortable.

Old December 8th 03, 05:20 PM
Mr. Mike

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:44:05 GMT, Mr. Mike wrote:

I have experimented using a movement from some classical piece of music which
has multiple tracks within the movement and found that these "splices" happen
when I try to dub that too (these files were saved as WAV files using the MS
Windows Media Player).

These splices also happen when I load in the first track with Goldwave and then
"paste at end" the next one in the sequence (these are tracks which originally
had no gaps between them).

I'm using Windows XP Pro, by the way...

Old December 8th 03, 08:49 PM
Mike Richter

Mr. Mike wrote:
[...]

It seems clear that your 'tracks' were not split on block boundaries;
that's common when they come from MP3s, but can also happen when you
split them with a program which does not enforce block boundaries.

The subject is discussed at some length in the primer at my WWW site and
I'm sure is in the CD-R FAQ as well. So, to be brief, once the
contamination is there - a fraction of a block filled with non-music -
it must be deleted. One way is to merge the tracks (in a WAV editor or
with WAVMERGE at my WWW site), then to examine the joins and smooth them
out. Then split again where you want, using softwae such as CDWAV which
enforces block boundaries. Alternatively, open each file in a suitable
editor and trim the excess manually.

If the excess is nulls, it can be trimmed automatically in a program
such as Exact Audio Copy, but that is a bit tricky.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old December 10th 03, 01:11 PM
Mr. Mike

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:01:27 +0100, "XPG" wrote:

You have to use professional burning programs to do what you want.
Roxio, Nero and other mainstream programs can't do that.

Actually, you can do what I asked in the first message (it helps if you
carefully read the manual - DUH!!).

You open up Sound Editor, load in the WAV file, choose the points where you want
to put the tracks, go to Tools/Insert Track Marker and then rename the tracks to
whatever you want the file names to be. Then you Burn Track List (the button in
lower right corner), choose Disk-At-Once, and the file is burned with multiple
tracks with no gaps.

The only problem is, you can't create a multi-track movement with no gaps,
followed by a 3-4 second gap, and then another multi-track movement with no gaps
.... at least that I can see so far. (You can't save this multi-track creation as
a WAV file which retains the multiple track markings, or load the "Play List"
into the "Creator Classic " program and manipulate things, for example).

If you want to make a recording of a complete concert with no-gap tracks at the
beginning of songs (which is fine for a couple of projects I have in mind), then
you can do this with the Roxio Sound Editor software.

Old December 10th 03, 01:15 PM
Mr. Mike

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 11:49:43 -0800, Mike Richter wrote:

It seems clear that your 'tracks' were not split on block boundaries;
that's common when they come from MP3s, but can also happen when you
split them with a program which does not enforce block boundaries.

The subject is discussed at some length in the primer at my WWW site and
I'm sure is in the CD-R FAQ as well. So, to be brief, once the
contamination is there - a fraction of a block filled with non-music -
it must be deleted. One way is to merge the tracks (in a WAV editor or
with WAVMERGE at my WWW site), then to examine the joins and smooth them
out. Then split again where you want, using softwae such as CDWAV which
enforces block boundaries. Alternatively, open each file in a suitable
editor and trim the excess manually.

Actually, I found that the "quality" of the files depends on the program you use
to save them.

For example, when I saved the tracks from a Mahler symphony movement with the MS
Windows Media Player and then played them or burned them with the Roxio
software, there were "blurps" between the sections of the movement even with "no
gaps" and Disk-At-Once selected.

But when these same files were saved with the CD Reader Tool from Goldwave,
there were no "blurps" when playing/burning.