Erasing CDR tracks?

Old February 18th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Erasing CDR tracks?

I'm a CD burner newbie. I burned two tracks onto a CDR. Now I don't
want them and I don't want them to appear. I want to use the rest of
the space for a new sets of songs.
I understand you can't erase CDR, but is there a way to write a
command to the CDR to make those tracks invisible to a CD player? Then
I will fill up the rest of the disk with the new tracks I prefer.

Thanks all,
Robby

Old February 18th 06, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 18 Feb 2006 07:35:27 -0800, "robby" wrote:

I'm a CD burner newbie. I burned two tracks onto a CDR. Now I don't
want them and I don't want them to appear. I want to use the rest of
the space for a new sets of songs.
I understand you can't erase CDR, but is there a way to write a
command to the CDR to make those tracks invisible to a CD player? Then
I will fill up the rest of the disk with the new tracks I prefer.

Thanks all,
Robby

Not really. If you wanted to do that you should have burned onto a
CD-RW.

What you may be thinking of is a multisession data disc. With data,
you can burn a multisession disc, and only unmodified data gets
imported into the new session. Anything that's modified or "deleted"
doesn't get imported into the new session and doesn't show up. That
doesn't work for audio though. Audio tracks get read sequentially, so
even if you could do something like this, the player likely wouldn't
know it wasn't supposed to read it until it had already read it.

Also, if you've finalized (aka closed) the disc, you won't be able to
add anything more to it. Some programs finalize audio discs by
default to improve read compatibility, so you might be out of luck.

Your best bet, pop in a new CDR, burn the tracks you want. The discs
are cheap. If your tastes change frequently, and you don't want to
put so many discs in the landfill, invest in some CDRW discs. They're
not reliable enough for data backups, but they're great for mix discs
where you want to change the contents every once in a while. Either
that, or get yourself a cheap MP3 player.
Thanks.

MCheu