sil3114 sata card

Old July 4th 19, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default sil3114 sata card

T. Ment wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 23:49:14 -0400, Paul wrote:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=49471

"If you want the SATA card to be usable by DOS
and Windows 9x, you need to flash it with the "base" BIOS.

The file you need is called b5403.bin

That's what I tried when the flashing problem started. My USB programmer
got the b5403 BIOS flashed, but it still does not work with DOS 6.22.

Your thread link mentions DOS 7. And the flasher program says to use
FreeDOS. Maybe they make a difference. All I know is, it's not working
with DOS 6.22.

Reboot. After reboot, you should no longer see an option
to enter the RAID utility for the card."

"It didn't look like there were any IRQ conflicts
when the system booted up, but nonetheless, the card flashed
totally fine after moving to a different PCI slot."

That means you need an older motherboard, one with a motherboard
manual that details IRQ sharing. Do the flash there, then move
the card to a newer machine.

Like he said, I tried different PCI slots. Didn't help. His card must be
flashable. I think mine is not.

The 0x13 routine is what DOS uses, isn't it ? The BIOS routine
continues to be uses for ATA. For ATAPI, it seems to use
one of several ATAPI drivers (that you put on your MSDOS floppy).

Yes 0x13 is the hard disk BIOS INT.

I have a multiboot setup with DOS, linux, and Windows. Before testing
the sil3114 card, I cloned the multiboot drive onto the SATA drive with
linux dd.

For testing, I have both drives in the computer. I boot DOS from PATA
(C, and DOS sees the SATA as D: I can change to it and display a
directory, but copying a large file fails. Same test works fine when I
boot linux.

I wonder why the flasher program recommends FreeDOS. Maybe I can try
that later. Or maybe I'll try a 2 port sil3512 card. I seem to recall
reading it supports DOS.

FreeDOS would be recommended due to availability.

Configuring regular MSDOS on newer systems is difficult.
It's getting harder and harder to figure out what to
do with the address space. I had less trouble with some
older systems.

Paul
Old July 4th 19, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 23:06:34 +0000, T. Ment wrote:

it needs a driver to poke its chipset registers the right way

I found its data sheet:

http://www.pix.net/techpubs/silicon_...-DS-0103-D.pdf

The PDF is 119 pages, and has programming hints. Guess I could write my
own DOS device driver, given enough time.

Page ii:

11/29/06 This datasheet is no longer under NDA. Removed
confidential markings

Page 74:

The programming sequence for the SiI3114 is about the same
as for the SiI3112 or SiI3512. However, SiI3114 supports up
to four SATA devices (instead of two for the others).

Old July 4th 19, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

Now that I've fixed its broken solder joint, and I know the card works
in linux, I can verify the DOS flasher DOES NOT work. It gets far enough
to trash the chip's BIOS and then fails, replacing the card with a brick
that hangs the computer at boot.

I doubt it works with the Windows flasher either. Other sil3114 cards
may flash, but not this one. It has a r5403 BIOS soldered on. Take it or
leave it.

I found the Lattice archive for legacy SIL cards:

https://www.latticesemi.com/Support/ASSPSoftwareArchive

There you can find a 3512 BIOS, version 4.3.70. It seems unique, they
call it an "IDE" BIOS. I flashed it onto my 3114 card, and it boots.

It also works in DOS. I tried two later versions of the 3512 BIOS. Both
boot, but like the 3114 BIOS, fail on a file copy. So there's something
special about the 4.3.70 BIOS that lets it work in DOS.

They call it an "IDE" BIOS. Maybe that means IDE vs AHCI. Don't know.

Though it worked with a DOS file copy, I could not get it to boot from
the SATA drive, in the computer I had in mind for it. Maybe the BIOS is
too old and the hard drive is too big. Or maybe it's incompatible with
the motherboard BIOS. Don't know.

Looks like they gave up supporting DOS after that version. The archive
has no such BIOS for a 3114 card.

Old July 4th 19, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

T. Ment wrote:
[...]

OK, and was there a "max disk size for MSDOS" ?

It can't go over 28 bit LBA or 137GB.
A 120GB SATA would work, a 160GB might be too much
(and especially if a partition "spanned" the boundary,
that's supposed to be bad).

On the old IDE drives, you could use the CLIP jumper
to clip to 33.7GB or 2GB or so. The geometry was the
same in each case, and it was the interpretation of
the OS at the time, that decided what that was. The CLIP
causes the drive to declare a magical CHS value.

I don't think SATA drives have the clip jumper, because
of course, the SATA era is 48 bit LBA (double pumped registers).
It's doubtful anybody gave a rats ass about DOS.

You can also clip a drive down with a Host Protected Area (HPA).
My other machine, the BIOS simply doesn't allow those operations
(they're locked out). On this machine, only the Jmicron port
allows setting an HPA.

*******

This is the proposal to move from 28 bit to 48 bit.
While some parts of the ecosystem might handle this,
I don't know if the whole thing (DOS part) does.
DOS was likely too late to the party for this.
DOS could be generating 28 bit addresses only
(good for the beginning of the disk... maybe).

https://web.archive.org/web/20041024...l/e00101r6.pdf

There used to be web pages that would explain every limit,
all the way up to 2.2TB. But I doubt I could find those
pages today.

Paul
Old July 4th 19, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 16:52:12 -0400, Paul wrote:

OK, and was there a "max disk size for MSDOS" ?

It can't go over 28 bit LBA or 137GB.
A 120GB SATA would work, a 160GB might be too much
(and especially if a partition "spanned" the boundary,
that's supposed to be bad).

I've heard something like that, but I have DOS multibooting on a
computer with a 160 GB PATA drive. Linux fdisk says:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 261 2096451 6 FAT16
/dev/sda2 262 275 112455 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 276 295 160650 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 296 19457 153918765 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 296 4030 30001387 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6 4031 4871 6755332 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 4872 4998 1020127 82 Linux swap
/dev/sda8 4999 8485 28009327 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda9 8486 14593 49062509+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda10 14594 19457 39070079+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

DOS is the 1st partition. It boots. I use it.

The active flag changes at boot time, extipl does that. It's an obscure
boot manager. It's no longer supported or developed, but it does what I
need.

Old July 4th 19, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 19:51:33 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

[...]

Another card I found (SD-SATA150R) I also have -- maybe I have four or
five SIL cards floating around here. As well a "SI_Buslink card" or
so-named and tossed in that directory, which seems as much a grab bag
driver situation for possibly all sorts of cards;- a rotten JPG I
made of my card looks to be a 2 header PATA setup, so there maybe two
PATA cards back in my stuff-it boxes.

Last is SI_RAID680 PATA card which has
SiI0680 BIOS Version 3.2.20. I really don't recall which board I
killed, except I likely wouldn't have kept it around after bricked,
only I do recall buying another, making both certainly then SATA cntr
boards.

(Goes without saying beyond 64/128G SSD only an updated controller
will see the likes of a quasi-256, 512G SSD 1T;- and they'll be seen
in DOS as well if at FAT32.)

Contents (SiI0680 BIOS)
I. Overview
II. Applicable Hardware/Software
III. Corrections

I. Overview - Contents
b3220.bin - add-in card BASE BIOS
r3220.bin - add-in card RAID BIOS
3220.bin - motherboard BIOS for OEM use in development. This
BIOS is
not intended for general end-users. End-users with a SiI0680A onboard
a motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS
upgrade.
Note: The firmware download should take less than five minutes to
complete.
I. Corrections
1. Includes RAID volume support beyond 1TB.
2. Resolved a missing "Press F3 to enter RAID utility" message state.

Then there's this one, SI_RAID680 PATA card, nicely JPG'd and
decidedly a 2-port PATA header.

; This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA non-Raid driver
; for the SiI 3112 controller on systems running Windows 98/ME,
; Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

(Can't offhand recall, but could be wrong, buying added USB ports in a
SIL flavor)

VIA Products Specification
VT6202 l Four Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Discrete PCI Adapter
VT6212 l Four Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Supports PCI / Cardbus Adapter
VT8235 l Six Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Integrated South Bridge

SD-SATA150R
optional software RAID function. The most popular version of 2-channel
Serial-ATA host controller add-on card, with optional RAID 0, 1
function.

* PCI Specification Revision 2.2 compliant
* Silicon Image SIL 3512 host controller chip
* Support 66 Mhz PCI with 32-bit data
* Compliant with programming interface for Bus Master IDE
Controller, Rev1.0
* Support programmable and EEPROM, FLASH & EPROM loadable PCI
class mode
* Integrated SATA Transport, Link Logic & PHY layer
* 48-bit sector addressing
* Virtual DMA
* Serial ATA Specification Revision 1.0 compliant
* Dual independent DMA channels with 256KB FIFO per Serial-ATA
channel, transfer rate up to 1.5Gb/s
* Internal Serial-ATA port x 2
*
* Supports 3TB HDDs
* Supports SSD.
* Support Boot to CD/DVD

1) SIL680 - Driver for SIL680 chipset (Without RAID Function)

DOS - DOS Driver

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.0.12

------

(2) SIL680RAID - Driver for SIL680 chipset (With RAID Function)

DOS - DOS Driver

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.1.7

Medley - RAID Utility for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver
1.2.0.5

(3) SIL3112 - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (Without RAID Function)

Linux - Tweaking Red Hat 9.0 Driver

Novell - Novell Driver - Ver 1.07J

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.0.47

(4) SIL3112RAID - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (With RAID Function)

Old July 4th 19, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 17:50:09 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

And also using similar for a ported (rather no dependency on *NIX)
boot manager/arbitrator. As I presume to understand it's originally
developed out of a *NIX environ, hence and but installs to a dev/disk
from within a DOS command interpreter. With the right controller, it's
feasible to attach SBM to every HDD/SSD's MBR, which can then be
defined, on an individual basis and relationship to other partitions,
from the first drive the BIOS points then to selectively boot, as well
as for relationship defined in each instance of a drive/device install
of SBM, to other drives. DOS withstanding, as well as the so-called
hidden FDISK /MBR command for erasing SBM (instead of using a
provision it comes with for un-installation.)

SMB is relatively dumbed down, to say from a standpoint of Microsoft's
distribution, or modifications, of GRUB and Windows 10 (presumptively:
I haven't set that one up yet, in De Loope De Loop.)
Old July 5th 19, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 19:51:33 +0000, T. Ment wrote:

I can verify the DOS flasher DOES NOT work

I tried again, using the PCI slot near the AGP. I never tried that one
before. Now it works. Maybe I have some bad slots. I'll try them again
later to see what happens.

But I doubt they are bad, since other people reported the same problem.
Must be something else going on. I don't see how IRQ sharing could hurt
in DOS, when there's no activity from the sharing devices.

Looks like they gave up supporting DOS after that version. The archive
has no such BIOS for a 3114 card.

Wrong again. There's an old version 5073 for the 3114 card. It only has
a raid version, no basic. That's why I did not try it before. But I had
to try it just for completeness, before giving up. And what do you know,
it works with DOS.

Old July 5th 19, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 00:58:09 +0000, T. Ment wrote:

I can verify the DOS flasher DOES NOT work

I tried again, using the PCI slot near the AGP. I never tried that one
before. Now it works. Maybe I have some bad slots. I'll try them again
later to see what happens.

The motherboard is an Asus P3V4X. It has 1 AGP, and 6 PCI slots. Slot 2
has a network card. Slot 1, and slots 3 thru 6 are open.

Slots 3, 4, 5, and 6 all fail. Slots 3 and 6 share INT-C, slots 4 and 5
share INT-D. But with no card in their partner slot, I don't see why it
fails. Four slots can't all be bad.

The sil3114 card only works in slot 1. Slot 1 shares INT-A with AGP, but
the AGP card has a jumper that disables its IRQ.

Old July 5th 19, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 05:52:22 +0000, T. Ment wrote:

Four slots can't all be bad

I moved the network card to one of the trouble slots, and now the
network card fails too. Looks like this P3V4X motherboard is shot. I
hate to lose an old board. P3V4X is expensive now on Ebay.

Maybe I'll pull all the capacitors and check them before trashing it.
But that's tedious and not much fun. We'll see.