virtual memory problems

Old September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
casdon

Default virtual memory problems

I have a Compaq Presario s4000nx-cel and I get msgs about low virtual
memory and I have not install any software any hints/ answers as to
how to correct this and has anyone else run into this problem?.Casdon
Old September 25th 03, 01:23 AM
Homer Simpson

virtual memory is on the hard drive. It is a file named pagefile.sys. It
grows and shrinks, unless you manually tell it not to. If your hard drive
is full, it can't grow. If you told it not to grow and shrink, it may want
to make it bigger but can't. pagefile.sys - in the root (c:\) hidden by
default. You can change it, with certain versions of windows, to another
disk drive.

m...

Old September 25th 03, 05:58 AM
Euc1id

There are several possible causes, and several possible ways to correct the
problem. First the cause must be diagnosed. To do that requires quite a bit
of information about your computer, and what software you are running. If
your computer is still under warranty, you would do well to ask Compaq tech
support for help.

In a nutshell, assuming there isn't some kind of serious software or
hardware malfunction, the usual reason is that you don't have enough memory
installed to handle the software you are running. So adding more memory has
a good chance of helping, if you only have a small amount of memory
installed now.

How much installed memory do you have?
What software are you running?
--
Euc1id

m...

Old September 26th 03, 03:28 PM
casdon

I'm not really sure where I should look,I looked at the VT and the
recommended
is 369MB and it is up to the 370MB I pretty sure that is not the
installed memory it has a 2.5 Gz if that is any help,as for the
software it is what came with the computer WinXP Home Edition ,I have
not installed any other software.Thank you in advance for your
help.Casdon

"Euc1id" wrote in message link.net...
There are several possible causes, and several possible ways to correct the
problem. First the cause must be diagnosed. To do that requires quite a bit
of information about your computer, and what software you are running. If
your computer is still under warranty, you would do well to ask Compaq tech
support for help.

In a nutshell, assuming there isn't some kind of serious software or
hardware malfunction, the usual reason is that you don't have enough memory
installed to handle the software you are running. So adding more memory has
a good chance of helping, if you only have a small amount of memory
installed now.

How much installed memory do you have?
What software are you running?
--
Euc1id

m...

Old October 1st 03, 05:57 AM
Euc1id

Installed memory (RAM) is physical memory, strips of memory plugged into
your motherboard. Typically you would have an amount such as 64MB, 128MB,
256MB, 512MB, or whatever. Consult the specifications for your computer. Or
download and run this Belarc Advisor utility which will provide some basic
information about your computer:

What does it say about your installed RAM (memory)? If it is 128MB or less,
then that may be the cause of your problem. You may need to plug in more RAM
to your motherboard. But if it is 256MB or more, then you probably shouldn't
have that kind of problem.

What software titles are your running when you get the error message about
virtual memory? What are their names?

There can be a limit to how much software you can run simultaneously
(multitask). Eventually the processor will get overworked and the system
will get sluggish, perhaps producing messages such as you obtained. With my
computer I can run up to about 20-25 different software applications
simultaneously before that happens, but it is different with each computer.
Your practical limit might be 10 programs, or whatever, depending on what
they are.

Virtual memory requires some hard drive space. So if you don't have much
free hard drive space, you need to make some. Get rid of software and data
that you don't need or use.

To check your virtual memory settings, goto: Control Panel, System, Advanced
tab, Performance - Settings button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory - Change
button
If the amount of allocated virtual memory is too small, then you can have a
problem such as you experienced. You should usually select and Set the
"System managed size" radio button at that location, then there shouldn't be
a major problem.
--
Euc1id

"casdon" wrote in message
m...
I'm not really sure where I should look,I looked at the VT and the
recommended
is 369MB and it is up to the 370MB I pretty sure that is not the
installed memory it has a 2.5 Gz if that is any help,as for the
software it is what came with the computer WinXP Home Edition ,I have
not installed any other software.Thank you in advance for your
help.Casdon

"Euc1id" wrote in message

link.net...
[...]

m...

Old October 5th 03, 11:05 PM
casdon

I ran the Belarc Advisor program and this is what it said I have the
following I have a 2.5 ghz Intel Celeron, 8 kilobyte primary memory
cache,128 kilobyte secondary memory cache,248 Megabytes Installed
Memory, Slot J5G3 has 256 MB, Slot J5G2 is empty.I had no sofware
running when this msg came up other them I was trying to get on the
net.I hope this is helpful for you in help me with this problem and
I'm very glad that you are trying to help me.CASDON

[...]

"casdon" wrote in message
m...
I'm not really sure where I should look,I looked at the VT and the
recommended
is 369MB and it is up to the 370MB I pretty sure that is not the
installed memory it has a 2.5 Gz if that is any help,as for the
software it is what came with the computer WinXP Home Edition ,I have
not installed any other software.Thank you in advance for your
help.Casdon

"Euc1id" wrote in message

link.net...
[...]

m...

Old October 6th 03, 09:19 AM
Euc1id

There is not enough information to diagnose your problem. Again I suggest...
To check your virtual memory settings, goto:

Control Panel, System, Advanced tab, Performance - Settings button, Advanced
tab, Virtual Memory - Change button

If the amount of allocated virtual memory is too small, then you can have a
problem. You should usually select and Set the "System managed size" radio
button at that location, then there shouldn't be a major problem.

Otherwise, the easiest solution might be to do a System Recovery if you have
a restore point before the problem started. If that doesn't fix it, and if
it is a serious problem (?), then you should consider reformatting the hard
drive and reinstalling the operating system. You will need a set of recovery
CDs to do that. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is probably faulty
hardware, perhaps a hard drive problem.

Good luck!
--
Euc1id

"casdon" wrote in message
om...
| I ran the Belarc Advisor program and this is what it said I have the
| following I have a 2.5 ghz Intel Celeron, 8 kilobyte primary memory
| cache,128 kilobyte secondary memory cache,248 Megabytes Installed
| Memory, Slot J5G3 has 256 MB, Slot J5G2 is empty.I had no sofware
| running when this msg came up other them I was trying to get on the
| net.I hope this is helpful for you in help me with this problem and
| I'm very glad that you are trying to help me.CASDON

link.net...

Old October 14th 03, 12:41 PM
casdon

Well I took it into have a memory check done and they found a virus
called welchia(?) on it and they clean it up and it is now running
fine ,I a little upset that Norton did not catch this and yes I have
it running to do a daily check,oh well thank you Euc1id for the help
you gave me.Casdon

"Euc1id" wrote in message k.net...
[...]

"casdon" wrote in message
om...
| I ran the Belarc Advisor program and this is what it said I have the
| following I have a 2.5 ghz Intel Celeron, 8 kilobyte primary memory
| cache,128 kilobyte secondary memory cache,248 Megabytes Installed
| Memory, Slot J5G3 has 256 MB, Slot J5G2 is empty.I had no sofware
| running when this msg came up other them I was trying to get on the
| net.I hope this is helpful for you in help me with this problem and
| I'm very glad that you are trying to help me.CASDON
|

| "Euc1id" wrote in message
link.net...
| Installed memory (RAM) is physical memory, strips of memory plugged into
| your motherboard. Typically you would have an amount such as 64MB,
128MB,
| 256MB, 512MB, or whatever. Consult the specifications for your computer.
Or
| download and run this Belarc Advisor utility which will provide some
basic
| information about your computer:
| http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
|
| What does it say about your installed RAM (memory)? If it is 128MB or
less,
| then that may be the cause of your problem. You may need to plug in more
RAM
| to your motherboard. But if it is 256MB or more, then you probably
shouldn't
| have that kind of problem.
|
| What software titles are your running when you get the error message
about
| virtual memory? What are their names?
|
| There can be a limit to how much software you can run simultaneously
| (multitask). Eventually the processor will get overworked and the system
| will get sluggish, perhaps producing messages such as you obtained. With
my
| computer I can run up to about 20-25 different software applications
| simultaneously before that happens, but it is different with each
computer.
| Your practical limit might be 10 programs, or whatever, depending on
what
| they are.
|
| Virtual memory requires some hard drive space. So if you don't have much
| free hard drive space, you need to make some. Get rid of software and
data
| that you don't need or use.
|
| To check your virtual memory settings, goto: Control Panel, System,
| tab, Performance - Settings button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory -
Change
| button
| If the amount of allocated virtual memory is too small, then you can
have a
| problem such as you experienced. You should usually select and Set the
| "System managed size" radio button at that location, then there
shouldn't be
| a major problem.
| --
| Euc1id
|

| "casdon" wrote in message
| m...
| I'm not really sure where I should look,I looked at the VT and the
| recommended
| is 369MB and it is up to the 370MB I pretty sure that is not the
| installed memory it has a 2.5 Gz if that is any help,as for the
| software it is what came with the computer WinXP Home Edition ,I have
| not installed any other software.Thank you in advance for your
| help.Casdon

link.net...