A7N8X Deluxe + Barton 2500 - Choosing between PC2700 V/s PC3200

Old June 25th 03, 01:06 PM
stanmc

Default A7N8X Deluxe + Barton 2500 - Choosing between PC2700 V/s PC3200

Arif wrote:
Hi folks,

I am planning to buy an A7N8X deluxe (PCB Rev 2.0 which supports
a 400Mhz FSB). Initially I plan to buy a Barton 2500XP processor
(which is officially rated as supporting a 333 FSB) and hopefully in a
years time upgrade to a faster processor which supports a 3200 FSB. (I
do not wish to
overclock the Barton 2500XP)

There were two Crucial Memory options I was looking at
(All prices are UK sterling)
512MB x 2 PC2700 for 100 quid
OR
512MB x 2 PC3200 for 128 quid

The PC2700 is rated at 2.5V 6ns with CL (CAS latency) = 2.5
The PC3200 is rated at 2.5V 5ns with CL = 3

I am happy to pay the extra 28 quid and go for the PC3200
to 'future proof my investment' so long as I dont sacrifice stability
as compared to a PC2700.

I would appreciate some clarifications:

A. If I use the PC3200 sticks with the Barton 2500 @ 333FSB
(Both CPU and Memory running at 333) will the system stability be:
- Better than using a PC2700 @ 333FSB
- Worse than using a PC2700 @ 33FSB
- Almost the same as using a PC2700 @ 333FSB

B. If I use the PC3200 sticks with the Barton 2500 @ 333FSB will I be
able to set a CL=2.5 or will be forced to use CL=3 as per the official
spec ?

Presumably the official spec of CL=3 relates to a '3200' speed
and not to a '2700' speed and at a '2700' speed I should be able to
set CAS=2.5 ?

Will setting a CL=2.5 on the PC3200 make it less stable
compared to a PC2700, which is officially rated at CL=2.5 ?

C. If I use the PC3200 sticks, should I run the CPU at a
Frequency of 333 but the memory at 400
OR run both at 400.

Some previous usenet messages suggest a CPU external frequency
of 200 (i.e. FSB=400) ;Memory in Sync;
& a CPU multiplier of 9. Although the
CPU's internal frequency (200*9=1800) is not overclocked, a
CPU rated at FSB 333 will be run at FSB 400 ?
Is this deemed 'overclocking' which may impact stability and CPU
life ?

Presumably at FSB 400 the CAS latency should be set to 3 as per the
spec ?

D. Roughly how much overall performance will I gain by running
the PC3200 at 400 rather than at 333 ?

Bottom Line: Are there any pitfalls in buying the PC3200 rather
than the PC2700 ?

Any comments or experiences gratefully received. Apologies if
any questions are 'silly' but I am not an expert in this area.

TIA.
Arif

I just installed my Barton 2500 yesterday. I am using PC2700 from
Kingston and I have it set up for Memory Frequency of 100% and Memory
Timings of Optimal. It is overclocked to 11.5 giving 1.9GHz. It is
stable as a rock.

What I've picked up from this newsgroup and other sources is that the
memory should "always" be run in sync with the FSB. Therefore, using
that logic, if you intend to buy a 400MHz FSB chip next year, I would
get the PC3200 memory. Twenty-eight quid (pound sterling) translates
into approximately $44. I think it would be worth the extra money.

Old June 25th 03, 06:35 PM
bp

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:06:07 GMT, stanmc wrote:

Bottom Line: Are there any pitfalls in buying the PC3200 rather
than the PC2700 ?

price is about all.
1. 2700 is cheaper and since you're not going OC the 3200 is a waste.
2. By the time you upgrade to the faster CPU 3200 RAM will be cheaper.

Now if you are going to OC that's a different story.
Old June 26th 03, 08:33 AM
Nom

"bp" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:06:07 GMT, stanmc wrote:

Bottom Line: Are there any pitfalls in buying the PC3200 rather
than the PC2700 ?

price is about all.
1. 2700 is cheaper and since you're not going OC the 3200 is a waste.

Eh ?
If he buys the 2700, he'll have to replace it for 3200 at some point. As you
say, price is about all. That would cost him more than simply buying the
3200 now !

2. By the time you upgrade to the faster CPU 3200 RAM will be cheaper.

Precisely. So when he upgrades to the faster CPU, he'll have to replace all
his memory !

Buy the PC3200 now.

Old June 26th 03, 08:34 AM
Nom

"Michael Thomas" wrote in message
On 24 Jun 2003 17:01:38 -0700, (Arif) wrote:

[...]

Probably no change, but you will be able to run the PC3200 memory at
faster timings at that speed due to the 5ns vs 6ns chips.

B. If I use the PC3200 sticks with the Barton 2500 @ 333FSB will I be
able to set a CL=2.5 or will be forced to use CL=3 as per the official
spec ?

Presumably the official spec of CL=3 relates to a '3200' speed
and not to a '2700' speed and at a '2700' speed I should be able to
set CAS=2.5 ?

Yes, and it may go even faster. Really depends on the stick.

Will setting a CL=2.5 on the PC3200 make it less stable
compared to a PC2700, which is officially rated at CL=2.5 ?

Not at 333FSB.

C. If I use the PC3200 sticks, should I run the CPU at a
Frequency of 333 but the memory at 400
OR run both at 400.

Some previous usenet messages suggest a CPU external frequency
of 200 (i.e. FSB=400) ;Memory in Sync;
& a CPU multiplier of 9. Although the
CPU's internal frequency (200*9=1800) is not overclocked, a
CPU rated at FSB 333 will be run at FSB 400 ?
Is this deemed 'overclocking' which may impact stability and CPU
life ?

Presumably at FSB 400 the CAS latency should be set to 3 as per the
spec ?

If you plan on overclocking than PC3200 is the way to go. You may get
away with 2.5 CAS @ 400FSB but I would follow the basic overclocking
techniques of starting out conservatively, optimal settings or SPD,
and going from there.

D. Roughly how much overall performance will I gain by running
the PC3200 at 400 rather than at 333 ?

As long as you are running the CPU and memory in sync - quite a bit.

Bottom Line: Are there any pitfalls in buying the PC3200 rather
than the PC2700 ?

None.

Seconded, all of the above.
Definately buy the PC3200 now.

Old June 26th 03, 11:54 AM
bp

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:34:25 +0100, "Nom"
wrote:

Seconded, all of the above.
Definately buy the PC3200 now.

Think about what you need and how far down the road you may be
upgrading again. 3200 may be a waste if we are using 32000 then.
Old June 27th 03, 02:55 AM
callsignviper

"Mark A. Smith" wrote in message
Can't he run the 2700 RAM at the 400 speed? I am doing that now (I think?)

That depends almost entirely on the quality of the ram chips and the PCB of
the memory module.

In your case you got lucky IF you are running your ram at 200 (x2) MHz when
it is rated for 166.67 (x2) MHz. A lot of basic ram will ONLY run correctly
at its advertised speed. Of course you may have high quality ram but you
didn't mention a brand.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Old June 27th 03, 04:07 AM
Strontium

Right now, prices for 3200 are relatively low. I paid $45/module, for 2 x
256MB modules. The same shop is selling PC100 for $69/256MB module! The
shop I use, usually has the most 'standard' prices concerning memory. For
the record, the DDR that I bought is Samsung. It's been flawless, since day
one.

-

wrote:

Seconded, all of the above.
Definately buy the PC3200 now.

Think about what you need and how far down the road you may be
upgrading again. 3200 may be a waste if we are using 32000 then.

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

Old July 1st 03, 12:24 PM
Nom

"Mark A. Smith" wrote in message
Can't he run the 2700 RAM at the 400 speed?

Very unlikely.

I am doing that now (I think?)

You're lucky then

Old July 4th 03, 08:01 AM
Simon

if you get the fsb to match the clock on the crucial it will increase the
speed quite a bit but only if the mem clock and the fsb are in sync