Garmin Nuvi

Old January 12th 13, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
JD

Default Garmin Nuvi

Hello Experts :-)

I have a Garmin Nuvi and I am having some trouble. I bought it in USA
but I am now living in the UK, In USA, the divided up areas were given
simple forms with names like 95401. Here in the UK and Ireland they have
forms in this type of configuration: BT5-6LW, different for each area.

I searched the Nuvi software for the possibility of forms like BT5-6LW
already in the Nuvi and I was surprised that it was. I connected the
Nuvi to my Samsung computer with a cable and was surprised that a
ghost-like computer, with a cord stretching from computer to a wall,
appeared in the Nuvi window. I unplugged the cable from the computer
and tried again and again, with the same result. It appears that there
is no connection to the computer. A short while before that the ghost
was not there. Did that ghost decide to make it it's home?

On 8 Jan 2013 I installed GarminMapUpdater_v3.1.20.exe on the Samsung.
Here is an innocent question, should this be applied to the Nuvi? How
should this be done?

Now, how to replace the numbers like 95401 with something similar to
BT5-6LW?

Comments greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old January 12th 13, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bert[_4_]

In JD wrote:

On 8 Jan 2013 I installed GarminMapUpdater_v3.1.20.exe on the Samsung.
Here is an innocent question, should this be applied to the Nuvi? How
should this be done?

You might want to visit Garmin's own forums at http://forums.garmin.com

Or go to newsgroup alt.satellite.gps.garmin

--
St. Paul, MN
Old January 12th 13, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"JD" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps there is something that can be changed in the settings of the Garmin
to read locations differently when in Europe
Sounds to me like you need to update your map to view the forms with
European terminology rather than U.S if a settings change can't be made.
Have you called Garmin support?
As for the 'ghost' connection you might try a firmware reset. Apparently
it's different for different Garmins but this website might help.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...ntenance-mode/

--
Jan Alter

Old January 12th 13, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
JD

On 1/12/2013 5:27 PM, Jan Alter wrote:
"JD" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Jan,

This seems to be a messy situation.

Perhaps there is something that can be changed in the settings of the Garmin
to read locations differently when in Europe

I searched the Nuvi software for the possibility of forms like BT5-6LW
and the Zip code. I did the search and I was surprised that both
appeared to be available.

Sounds to me like you need to update your map to view the forms with
European terminology rather than U.S if a settings change can't be made.

The Zip code seemed to exist after my search.
Have you called Garmin support.

Yes, they are helping too.
As for the 'ghost' connection you might try a firmware reset. Apparently
it's different for different Garmins but this website might help.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...ntenance-mode/

Here is a prog. GarminMapUpdater_v3.1.20.exe

Thanks for your interest

Old January 12th 13, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

JD wrote:

Here is a prog. GarminMapUpdater_v3.1.20.exe

Thanks for your interest

Here is a prog.

https://my.garmin.com/maps/updates.h...&rce=w indows

It comes straight from Garmin. It is a bootstrapper.
The program download (4.4MB) does not contain a map.
The program analyzes the type of Garmin found
connected over USB, and then determines what
map options are available.

This is the program I got straight from Garmin, from that page.
It is release 3.0.0.0.

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Using 7ZIP, I can open that executable, and see its contents.
It contains a dotNetFx40_Client_setup.exe file. If your
computer does not have .NET installed for 4.0 stack,
it is going to install that for you. So the stupid
little bootstrapper program, needs libraries installed
to make it work. And that introduces the possibilities
of install time failures. If they wrote the code
without the usage of libraries like that, it might
even have worked on a Win98 computer.

I don't see any files in there, to suggest the tool
decodes the USB identity of the GPS device.
Maybe it just sends a message to Garmin, with the
device details it reads off the USB bus.

You should be able to look in Device Manager
(start : run : devmgmt.msc) and see the Garmin listed
in the USB section. If you don't see the Garmin, when
it's plugged in, that could be your problem right
there (bad cable, or Garmin not set for "USB mode").

I don't own a GPS, have never read a manual, so I
don't know the "constellation of recipes" for them.

Good luck,
Paul
Old January 14th 13, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Newsworthy

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:08:03 +0000, JD wrote:

[...]

I don't have a Garmin, but I wonder if the problem is the way you are
entering the postcode as it is known in the UK, there is no hyphen in a UK
postcode so try entering it either just without the hyphen or replace the
hyphen with a space.
Old January 16th 13, 11:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
JD

On 1/14/2013 4:29 PM, Newsworthy wrote:
[...]

That is a possibility.

I have just discovered a Garmin source alt.satellite.gps.garmin (1752)
in News.Individual.Net and that seems to be active source.