Subwoofer crossover frequency control?

Old September 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Flash

Default Subwoofer crossover frequency control?

Are there any Asus motherboards that allow this kind of control in the
audio area?
Adjust the crossover point of subwoofer (low pass setting).
Adjust the crossover point slope (db/octave of the low pass filter) - 24
db/octave is ideal so the subwoofer isn't messing up the midrange.
Adjust the audio level of subwoofer (volume of sub).
Then I can use any speakers with a power amp for my subs at the best
settings. Lots of speakers have great bass and small power amps are
cheap. And there are lots of great little speakers for the main
speakers. I would run those full range, or, if they are sensitive to
bass dynamics, put a capacitor on the input of the power amp to act as a
6 db/octave high pass filter. Then there are no phase issues.
If this is in the wrong newsgroup, please suggest a better one. Thanks.
Old September 20th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ron Krebs

"Flash" wrote in message
Are there any Asus motherboards that allow this kind of control in the
audio area?
Adjust the crossover point of subwoofer (low pass setting).
Adjust the crossover point slope (db/octave of the low pass filter) - 24
db/octave is ideal so the subwoofer isn't messing up the midrange.
Adjust the audio level of subwoofer (volume of sub).
Then I can use any speakers with a power amp for my subs at the best
settings. Lots of speakers have great bass and small power amps are
cheap. And there are lots of great little speakers for the main
speakers. I would run those full range, or, if they are sensitive to
bass dynamics, put a capacitor on the input of the power amp to act as a
6 db/octave high pass filter. Then there are no phase issues.
If this is in the wrong newsgroup, please suggest a better one. Thanks.

I don't know about any motherboards with integrated sound chips, but the
Audigy 2 and up have a Subwoofer Crossover control in their EAX panel.

Ron

Old September 21st 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

The answer is No. What you are asking for is only found as an option on
separate sound cards. I recommend the SoundBlaster X-Fi series as being of
unusally good fidelity.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old September 21st 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

In article dhhQg.1765$zh.1261@trnddc06, "Ron Krebs"
wrote:

"Flash" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt any built-in audio on a motherboard would have that
attention to detail. Motherboards use AC'97 Codec chips for
sound, and there is next to no functionality inside them (no
DSPs for doing equalizers or frequency shaping etc). While
your system processor can do that kind of processing, and
develop a digital signal with any desired frequency response,
the driver software that comes with motherboard audio is
mediocre. The Analog Devices Soundmax Codec on my P4C800-E
sucks, mainly because of the software, and I had to use
a $7 sound card just to get decent driver support.

Paul
Old September 21st 06, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kyle

Well, if you're willing to accept last years technology, then use an
nforce2 chipset mobo (A7N8X-DLX), the nforce MCP audio processor does
some of these things (sub crossover frequency control, sub gain and
the drivers include a nice equalizer control). I note that placing a
capacitor across the input of an amp will be somewhat tricky to figure
out where the knee of the filtering curve will end up given the input
impedance of the amp may not be ascertainable. Be ready to experiment
quite a bit to find the correct capacitor value.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old September 22nd 06, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

If this is in the wrong newsgroup, please suggest a better one. Thanks.

Try

alt.audio.pro.live.sound

The quick answer is no because your MOBO would need to split the sound
then give you corresponding hardware outputs.
1 : Top
2 : Mid
3 : Bass
4 : Sub

Suggestions.

Run a cable from the line out of your soundcard into a 2 way crossover
then amps feeding the corresponding boxes.

Split the output from your soundcard. One into an equaliser with all
the mid and top taken out. Feed the output into subs. The other feed
is sent to another equaliser with all the bottom taken out. Feed the
output into mid\top box.

Get some speakers with built in adjustable filters.

Get a software music player that has a good equaliser. I use XM
Player.
http://www.un4seen.com/
Old September 27th 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
a a

| Are there any Asus motherboards that allow this kind of control in the
| audio area?
| Adjust the crossover point of subwoofer (low pass setting).
| Adjust the crossover point slope (db/octave of the low pass
filter) - 24
| db/octave is ideal so the subwoofer isn't messing up the midrange.
| Adjust the audio level of subwoofer (volume of sub).
| Then I can use any speakers with a power amp for my subs at the best
| settings. Lots of speakers have great bass and small power amps are
| cheap. And there are lots of great little speakers for the main
| speakers. I would run those full range, or, if they are sensitive
| bass dynamics, put a capacitor on the input of the power amp to act
as a
| 6 db/octave high pass filter. Then there are no phase issues.
| If this is in the wrong newsgroup, please suggest a better one.
Thanks.

Well, if you're willing to accept last years technology, then use an
nforce2 chipset mobo (A7N8X-DLX), the nforce MCP audio processor does
some of these things (sub crossover frequency control, sub gain and
the drivers include a nice equalizer control). I note that placing a
capacitor across the input of an amp will be somewhat tricky to figure
out where the knee of the filtering curve will end up given the input
impedance of the amp may not be ascertainable. Be ready to experiment
quite a bit to find the correct capacitor value.

You're sure this mb can control the crossover point of the sub? I don't
care about the main speakers as they will be running full range. And
I'll deal with the slope of the crossover frequency later.
Old September 27th 06, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kyle

"a a" wrote in message
| | Are there any Asus motherboards that allow this kind of control
in the
| | audio area?
| | Adjust the crossover point of subwoofer (low pass setting).
| | Adjust the crossover point slope (db/octave of the low pass
| filter) - 24
| | db/octave is ideal so the subwoofer isn't messing up the
midrange.
| | Adjust the audio level of subwoofer (volume of sub).
| | Then I can use any speakers with a power amp for my subs at the
best
| | settings. Lots of speakers have great bass and small power amps
are
| | cheap. And there are lots of great little speakers for the main
| | speakers. I would run those full range, or, if they are
sensitive
| | bass dynamics, put a capacitor on the input of the power amp to
act
| as a
| | 6 db/octave high pass filter. Then there are no phase issues.
| | If this is in the wrong newsgroup, please suggest a better one.
| Thanks.
|
| Well, if you're willing to accept last years technology, then use
an
| nforce2 chipset mobo (A7N8X-DLX), the nforce MCP audio processor
does
| some of these things (sub crossover frequency control, sub gain
and
| the drivers include a nice equalizer control). I note that
placing a
| capacitor across the input of an amp will be somewhat tricky to
figure
| out where the knee of the filtering curve will end up given the
input
| impedance of the amp may not be ascertainable. Be ready to
experiment
| quite a bit to find the correct capacitor value.
|
| You're sure this mb can control the crossover point of the sub? I
don't
| care about the main speakers as they will be running full range.
And
| I'll deal with the slope of the crossover frequency later.

I made a minor error, the chip needed is the MCP-T, the southbridge
that includes the Nvidia audio processor. Many of the high-end Nforce2
mobos include this chip, including Abit and Asus designs. The setting
is called the "LFE Crossover Frequency" in the mixer control software.
The "balloon" popup help says this feature will create subwoofer
content from a stereo or mono signal, and the adjustment is a
frequency range of "min-64-max" slider with 64 as the center value.
More info on the LFE function is set forth he
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mul...int-sound.html and
googling for "mcp-t LFE crossover" yields much fruit.