Two Dead Hard Drives: Virus/Trojan?

Old December 7th 05, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Two Dead Hard Drives: Virus/Trojan?

Here's my situation:

I've had my XP x64 installation up-and-running since May. About a week
ago, I experienced a brief freeze and had to do a hard boot. The
machine ran fine for another day or so then froze again. Rebooted and
got a "Machine_Check" blue screen error indicating a hardware problem.
After that it would not boot. It would post, taking a longer time to
recogize the IDE drive but it did recognize it, but XP x64 would no
longer start up.

I figured I had a bad hard drive, so I ordered a new one (Western
Digital WD2000JB, same as before), removed the old drive, installed
the new, reinstalled XP x64 and all was well.

Perhaps foolishly, I thought I would try to save the few files off the
old drive, if possible, that I hadn't backed up, so I installed the
old drive as a slave and booted up. The old drive appeared as drive: E
ans displayed all my old files and directories. Tried to copy a
directory over to the new drive, but it froze during the copy
requiring a hard boot.

Now the new drive is displaying the same behaviour as the old one. It
goes through post and dies as soon as XP x64 should start up.

I even tried running from the XP x64 installation disk, but that won't
run either. So no repair install possible.

That's what makes me think I may have had a virus or trojan on the old
drive and by installing it as a slave and trying to transfer files,
transfered the virus/trojan to the new drive.

Another factoid, the affected machine was and is on a local network
and none of the other machines has been affected (yet).

THis is the set up

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
AMD Athlon XP 64 3000+
Western Digital WD2000JB 200Gb hard drive(s)
Cosair Value Select DDR 3200 2x512Mb
Sony DRU510a DVD/CD
Nvidia GeForce 6200
Samsung 930b LCD

All mobo, video, sound drivers were up to date as of yesterday from
the respective websites. PC is behind a router. XP Firewall was ON.
Nod32 antivirus installed and definitions up-to-date. Adaware and
Spybot installed, only Adaware scan run because I only got the machine
up again yesterday.

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.
Old December 7th 05, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it 'could' be. Seems as though something 'could' be
overwriting the MBR or at the other end, you may have a faulty
IDE controller. If you are saying that you cannot run the
Windows XP CD to install to the harddrive and you can't access
either harddrive, then I would say it's almost definitely an IDE
controller problem.
Old December 7th 05, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
[...]

Borrow a KNOPPIX disc, boot to it and report back the results.
Old December 7th 05, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:21:30 -0330, Conrad
wrote:

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
Here's my situation:

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Sounds like it 'could' be. Seems as though something 'could' be
overwriting the MBR or at the other end, you may have a faulty
IDE controller. If you are saying that you cannot run the
Windows XP CD to install to the harddrive and you can't access
either harddrive, then I would say it's almost definitely an IDE
controller problem.

Thanks for the advice, someone in the microsoft x64 newsgroup had
thoughts along the same line as yours. I tried connecting the new
drive to the secondary IDE connector and resetting CMOS, but with no
luck.

It just struck me as more than coincidental that the new drive
operated just fine for 24+ hours (actually 48 hours now that I think
about it) and didn't show any signs of trouble until I accessed the
old problem drive. That's what me think virus/trojan.

The motherboard is only 6 months old, so I assume I can still RMA it
to MSI if necessary.
Old December 7th 05, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:14:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
Here's my situation:

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Borrow a KNOPPIX disc, boot to it and report back the results.

I forgot to mention that I actually tried that with the first drive.
Both Knoppix and Damn Small Linux started the boot process showing the
Penguin logo but failed immediately.

Trying it today with the newly dysfunctional replacement drive, it
doesn't even get to the Linux startup information.

Old December 7th 05, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

Sounds like it 'could' be. Seems as though something 'could' be
overwriting the MBR or at the other end, you may have a faulty
IDE controller. If you are saying that you cannot run the
Windows XP CD to install to the harddrive and you can't access
either harddrive, then I would say it's almost definitely an IDE
controller problem.

I just recalled a bit of data, after the first freeze on the original
hard drive, I fired up Everest which provides SMART data and as far as
I could tell, it indicated no problems with that drive.

Of course, I don't believe it indicated any problems with the IDE
controller either but the fact that SMART saw the drive as good
perhaps is more evidence pointing to the IDE controller.

Old December 7th 05, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"J. Eric Durbin" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:14:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
Here's my situation:

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Borrow a KNOPPIX disc, boot to it and report back the results.

I forgot to mention that I actually tried that with the first drive.
Both Knoppix and Damn Small Linux started the boot process showing the
Penguin logo but failed immediately.

Trying it today with the newly dysfunctional replacement drive, it
doesn't even get to the Linux startup information.

did you get a 'checksum error after the CMOS reset?

Old December 7th 05, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:28:35 -0800, "JAD"
wrote:

"J. Eric Durbin" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:14:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
Here's my situation:

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Borrow a KNOPPIX disc, boot to it and report back the results.

I forgot to mention that I actually tried that with the first drive.
Both Knoppix and Damn Small Linux started the boot process showing the
Penguin logo but failed immediately.

Trying it today with the newly dysfunctional replacement drive, it
doesn't even get to the Linux startup information.

did you get a 'checksum error after the CMOS reset?

Yes. I went into bios and fixed the settings and that seemed to get
rid of the checksum error. Perhaps I missed something?

Old December 7th 05, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

"J. Eric Durbin" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:14:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

J. Eric Durbin wrote:
Here's my situation:

Now XP x64 is relatively new, but I suppose someone could have written
a virus trojan for it by now. But could it be something else? How
could hooking the bad drive up as a slave to the good new drive cause
the new drive to start acting the same way if it wasn't a virus?

Any ideas will really be appreciated.

Borrow a KNOPPIX disc, boot to it and report back the results.

I forgot to mention that I actually tried that with the first drive.
Both Knoppix and Damn Small Linux started the boot process showing the
Penguin logo but failed immediately.

Trying it today with the newly dysfunctional replacement drive, it
doesn't even get to the Linux startup information.

did you get a 'checksum error after the CMOS reset?

Yes. I went into bios and fixed the settings and that seemed to get
rid of the checksum error.

Perhaps I missed something?
\

actually no, I wanted to make sure you actually achieved the reset.

can you try the drive in a different machine?
I have had optical drives misbehave when the PSU was marginal, although I
have never ran across this same thing (that I know of) when its come to hard
drives but I figure its possible.

Old December 7th 05, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

oh and what ANTI virus are you running?

wrote:

"J. Eric Durbin" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 16:14:07 -0500, Jim wrote:

Here's my situation: