How to hard drive test

Old April 20th 13, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Motor T

Default How to hard drive test

I have a brand new WD 500GB disk. It is a SATA disk inside a disk
caddy. It is connected to the computer via USB . Disk manager says it
has 465GB unallocated space. I downloaded and am trying to run WD
Diagnostic test to be sure it did not come DOA. The diagnostic
software apparently does not see the drive in the disk caddy. Do I
have to create a partition or something else for it to be recognized
by the WD program? I'm running WinXP. TIA
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Old April 20th 13, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

--
"Motor T" wrote in message
I have a brand new WD 500GB disk. It is a SATA disk inside a disk caddy.
It is connected to the computer via USB . Disk manager says it has 465GB
unallocated space. I downloaded and am trying to run WD Diagnostic test to
be sure it did not come DOA. The diagnostic software apparently does not
see the drive in the disk caddy. Do I have to create a partition or
something else for it to be recognized by the WD program? I'm running
WinXP. TIA
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Semper Fi

If the diagnostic software won't see it USB why not remove the drive from
the disk caddy and connect it to the the mb with a regular SATA cable and
power connector, letting it sit outside the case? That way you can be
certain theat the diagnostic utility should be able to see it. You should
not have to initialize the disk for the utility to work.

Jan Alter

Old April 20th 13, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Motor T

On 4/20/2013 7:58 AM, Jan Alter wrote:

Thanks Jan. I didn't realize there was a eSATA port on the back of my
computer. Plugged in the caddy and did a reboot. WD software saw it
and I did a Quick test. I test further later. Thanks again.

--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Old April 20th 13, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ed Mc[_2_]

Motor T wrote:
I have a brand new WD 500GB disk. It is a SATA disk inside a disk
caddy. It is connected to the computer via USB . Disk manager says it
has 465GB unallocated space. I downloaded and am trying to run WD
Diagnostic test to be sure it did not come DOA. The diagnostic
software apparently does not see the drive in the disk caddy. Do I
have to create a partition or something else for it to be recognized
by the WD program? I'm running WinXP. TIA

Goddamn Thunderbird is not including the messages I am replying to.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My apologies....
Old April 20th 13, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"Motor T" wrote in message
On 4/20/2013 7:58 AM, Jan Alter wrote:

Thanks Jan. I didn't realize there was a eSATA port on the back of my
computer. Plugged in the caddy and did a reboot. WD software saw it and I
did a Quick test. I test further later. Thanks again.

Actually I wasn't referring to an eSATA port. I was suggesting a SATA port
right on the mb inside the case; but regardless you've got it going and
that's the point of project.

Good luck,

--
Jan Alter