Gateway Essential 466c - drivers - urgent!!

Old January 21st 04, 08:26 AM
tropo

Default Gateway Essential 466c - drivers - urgent!!

I am trying to help a friend who has suffered a hard drive failure. We want
to restore her PC but she can't find the original install disks and
Gateway's tech support site is almost totally useless. The PC was purchased
in Australia and the serial numbers aren't valid on the Gateway site. I
need to know which drivers to use for the following:
on-board video, on-board sound, pci modem (I think it is still the original
that was supplied). I think the video was ATI but ATO Rage 128 ver.
WMER1284137192.exe didn't work. I installed Creative Labs Audio PCI 64V
(1371 Chipset) downloaded from gateway but some of the files seemed to
missing. he needs it running properly ASAP so prompt reply here would be
most appreciated.

TAI

Old January 21st 04, 11:24 AM
Edward J. Neth

Make sure you have applied the Intel chipset software before you install
other drivers - without it, even the correct driver will not work.

u...

Old January 21st 04, 11:33 AM
tropo

Ok, I found what looks like the appropriate page at Gateway
http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&param=2507162
but what chipset software do you mean specifically?
Thanks for your input

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
. com...
Make sure you have applied the Intel chipset software before you install
other drivers - without it, even the correct driver will not work.

u...

Old January 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Ben Myers

As I recall, the system uses one of the Intel 440-series chipsets, 440BX or
maybe 440ZX. Either way, Intel's web site, www.intel.com , has a download which
works for these chipsets and others when installed on Windows 95, 98, or ME.

The file to download is named something like infinst_enu.exe , possibly with a
version number. It can be found by searching out the drivers for the Intel
SE440BX2 motherboard... Ben Myers

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:33:51 +1000, "tropo" wrote:

Ok, I found what looks like the appropriate page at Gateway
http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&param=2507162
but what chipset software do you mean specifically?
Thanks for your input

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
.com...
Make sure you have applied the Intel chipset software before you install
other drivers - without it, even the correct driver will not work.

u...

Old January 21st 04, 04:47 PM
T.R.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:26:00 +1000, "tropo"
wrote:

We want
to restore her PC but she can't find the original install disks and
Gateway's tech support site is almost totally useless.

I gave someone a copy of my Essential 500 restoration CD last year
because they had also lost their 466 restoration CD and wanted to see
if my 500 disk would work. It worked fine. If your would like a copy
of it just to see, I would be more than happy to supply it.

Regards,
Thomas
dixieppc at adelphia dot net

Old January 21st 04, 10:29 PM
tropo

It has a Celeron Socket 370 chip and I can't find any relevant download at
Intel. Incidentally I installed all the drivers from the Gateway page of
this motherboard (link below) and the system seems to be running fine now so
I still need to install the chipset software?

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
[...]

u...

Old January 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
Ben Myers

If you installed all the drivers from the Gateway web site, and the system is
running OK, there is no need to download any drivers from Intel. Are there any
items with yellow exclamation points in the list of devices shown in the Device
Manager of the System icon?

A Celeron 370 system would probably use either the 440ZX or an 810 chipset, if
made with an Intel chipset. Intel is the largest manufacturer of CHIPSETS in
the world, a little known fact, because eveyone thinks of Intel and the Pentium
and Celeron brands... Ben Myers

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:29:21 +1000, "tropo" wrote:

[...]

u...